5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Daverous

Reaction score
Thanks again for the plug. Install was smooth other than missing the m10 nuts. ended up with the wrong hardware packets I guess. Had to raid the spares bin.

Installing the trans and transfer units after I wrap up my ppe transmission pan swap. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 70

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks again for the plug. Install was smooth other than missing the m10 nuts. ended up with the wrong hardware packets I guess. Had to raid the spares bin.

Installing the trans and transfer units after I wrap up my ppe transmission pan swap. (y)
oh yeah i had a few missing bolts too but that's nothing to worry about since I'm used to ordering grade 8 hardware from McMaster all the time.
My guess is the guy who pack hardware pack is new lol

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
For those looking for skid plates I just installed my RCI Metalworks full skid.

RCI is one of the brands that I have positive past experience with and trust. I've dragged my previous rig equipped with RCI skid through rocks multiple times and they held well. I've had customers that do Jeep things with their Toyotas and Lexus and their RCI skids passed the tests.

You can read the full overview, installation tips and tricks, and review here: RCI Metalworks Skid Plates: Engine, Tranny (and cat shield), T-Case Overview, Install, and Review

RCI's skids are compatible with ALL trim levels and ALL engine options except TRX (I think TRX is different). Also Included a front filler piece that goes between the first crossmember and bumper.
View attachment 167942
For those looking for skid plates I just installed my RCI Metalworks full skid.

RCI is one of the brands that I have positive past experience with and trust. I've dragged my previous rig equipped with RCI skid through rocks multiple times and they held well. I've had customers that do Jeep things with their Toyotas and Lexus and their RCI skids passed the tests.

You can read the full overview, installation tips and tricks, and review here: RCI Metalworks Skid Plates: Engine, Tranny (and cat shield), T-Case Overview, Install, and Review

RCI's skids are compatible with ALL trim levels and ALL engine options except TRX (I think TRX is different). Also Included a front filler piece that goes between the first crossmember and bumper.
View attachment 167942
I removed my air dam and the trim and it bumped my mpg to 11 for highway. Once I put it back on up to 18 on highway. Sooo I honestly think it opens the vents or something. But it helps for gas.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I removed my air dam and the trim and it bumped my mpg to 11 for highway. Once I put it back on up to 18 on highway. Sooo I honestly think it opens the vents or something. But it helps for gas.
The front fixed and active air dam divert air from under the truck, to around the truck to decrease drag. What vents are you referring to?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah i will admit air dams are functional even though they don't come with my Rebel.

but damn how fast are you going to get 11 for highway... my Rebel fully loaded with camping gears and lifted on 35s going into headwind get like 14mpg doing 95mph

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How the hell did your MPG drop that much? I replaced my entire front bumper with a n offoesd bumper and still get 15-16mpg at 75mph with 35" tires. PXL_20230910_162702936.jpg

nofear72784

Reaction score
FINALLY something to fill that hole! I don't know how I am the only one that has thrown a belt from junk getting up in there. Thank you for updating this!! Offering them in aluminum is awesome. Adding less weight helps at the cat scales. I'm already close with the RV and didn't want to loose 100lbs of payload capacity to steel skids.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FINALLY something to fill that hole! I don't know how I am the only one that has thrown a belt from junk getting up in there. Thank you for updating this!! Offering them in aluminum is awesome. Adding less weight helps at the cat scales. I'm already close with the RV and didn't want to loose 100lbs of payload capacity to steel skids.
yeap aluminum is light. very light!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is great! I’d been looking for something to fill the gap after removing my air dam for quite a while now… truthfully I’d given up hope someone would produce it.

Does anyone have a picture from the front? I’m just curious how visible this is when looking front on the vehicle.

I’ll likely get one on order to complement the skid plates on my off-road package.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much not visible on mine with about an inch or rake.

Okay, that’s awesome on a Rebel.

I’m in a Laramie lifted 3” with 35s and no air dam. Curious what that looks like… but either way I’m sure I’ll be placing an order. I need something to fill that void!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m in a Laramie lifted 3” with 35s and no air dam. Curious what that looks like… but either way I’m sure I’ll be placing an order. I need something to fill that void!
you won't see it from the front. It sits ABOVE the bumper. If you can see it from the front then you probably install it wrong ;)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever come up with a light duty polycarbonate skid plate for those of us who don’t off-road? @MurrayB has a template of sorts in post 19.

I thought someone was trying it with poly and bending with a heat gun.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Does this work with limited? Or just rebel?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score

I emailed RTI and they said it’ll fit regular trim levels and will order on soon but if you get it before post pictures install should be straight forward

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder how they manage that as the Rebel bumper is different from other trims.
I'm thinking that its possible that the lower front air dam(one that drops down at 30mphl is either removed, or sits just past it

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking that its possible that the lower front air dam(one that drops down at 30mphl is either removed, or sits just past it

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was under the impression that it attached to the bumper, which the Rebel has a different style bumper than the "regular" 1500s so not sure how they can make a one size fits all plate

Daverous

Reaction score
Active airdam must be removed. It attaches to the frame horns. boogielander has a bit on that in his larger write up.

Users who are viewing this thread