5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the different trim lines have different front bumpers and options such as the active air dam, I think it would be hard to make something to accommodate those different looks and designs as well as different mounting points. It would end up having to be multiple pieces (mounting brackets bolted to truck and skid) and I don't think I would be happy with a design like that. In my opinion it would look and feel cheap but not have cheap cost to go with it since it would still be expensive to make. We could come up with a one size fits all by supplying different mounting brackets but it isn't something we would be proud of so we won't do that. The other part of the problem is finding someone local with all of the different trim levels to test them on. I have a few Rebels at my disposal and I have a TRX at my disposal. I need to find some local people with Limited, Big Horn and Laramie for situations like this as well.
I think I'd be interested in a skid plate from the radiator support to front crossmember, which should be the same across the trims? Allows everyone to choose their own custom front bumper as well.

nofear72784

Reaction score
100% in for a cover from the rad to front crossmember! Removed my active airdam due to it getting damaged multiple times in the winter. Been fine for quite some time without it but a few days ago a stick scored a perfect shot on a side road and it took out my serp belt. Belt whipped off denting the hood and damaged some wiring. Being miles from a part store with a shredded belt, mesed up wiring and a trailer attached... not a fun experience!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wasn’t someone going to make one out of thermo forming a polycarbonate sheet, and share the template with us?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Radiator to cross member is much more likely. The main Rebel I have been using is moving to Arkansas. Anyone in AZ with a 5th gen Ram 1500 that wants to meet up for us to design one?
If you can take some pics and measurements of the skid plate on your TRX I can check the measurements on my rebel. It looks like the TRX front skid plate has a couple of brackets that mount it to the front, I’m just not sure where those connect to.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If you can take some pics and measurements of the skid plate on your TRX I can check the measurements on my rebel. It looks like the TRX front skid plate has a couple of brackets that mount it to the front, I’m just not sure where those connect to.
I'll post some pics so you can see. I've had that skid plate off several times and I am brain farting on what it bolts to. lol

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Little bit of a revival of this thread...first off it is disappointing @Shifts And Grins Fab couldn't make this work but I totally understand why. Wish I lived near them so I could get a custom one.

When I rode dirt bikes some of the best skid plates were made out of composite material. I think they are somewhat proprietary mix of plastics, but they worked really well. Were lightweight and held up great. Our trucks are clearly heavier would crack something like that with a hard hit, but if someone had the skills to make one I bet it would be a popular choice for the group who want more debris protection than rock bashing protection. My second choice would be aluminum due to weight. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Little bit of a revival of this thread...first off it is disappointing @Shifts And Grins Fab couldn't make this work but I totally understand why. Wish I lived near them so I could get a custom one.

When I rode dirt bikes some of the best skid plates were made out of composite material. I think they are somewhat proprietary mix of plastics, but they worked really well. Were lightweight and held up great. Our trucks are clearly heavier would crack something like that with a hard hit, but if someone had the skills to make one I bet it would be a popular choice for the group who want more debris protection than rock bashing protection. My second choice would be aluminum due to weight. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

It is still on our list and I revisit it from time to time trying to come up with a solution I happy with and you all would be happy with. I love challenges so who knows, maybe someday I will crack the code on this and it will hit me. I look every time I am under a 5th gen and I keep a notepad and pen on my nightstand. More than one solution or idea has come to me in the middle of the night but I've found if I don't get up and write it down and or sketch it immediately, it is often gone in the morning when I wake up and get out of bed for the day.

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
New to the forum but just got done throwing a skid plate on the front. I too didn't like the idea of not even having a splash shield up front and couldn't find anything aftermarket. I made some cardboard templates and brought it into a local steel supply/industrial fab shop and had a plate cut from 16 ga steel and bent to my specs. It mounts flush to the bumper and crossmember. The factory plate bolts on top. Total cost was under $100 including paint and hardware.
Front picture? Did it hold up?

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
New to the forum but just got done throwing a skid plate on the front. I too didn't like the idea of not even having a splash shield up front and couldn't find anything aftermarket. I made some cardboard templates and brought it into a local steel supply/industrial fab shop and had a plate cut from 16 ga steel and bent to my specs. It mounts flush to the bumper and crossmember. The factory plate bolts on top. Total cost was under $100 including paint and hardware.
How does it look from the front? I'm copying ur thing but getting the Vikings lazored in. And the powder coating it

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those looking for skid plates I just installed my RCI Metalworks full skid.

RCI is one of the brands that I have positive past experience with and trust. I've dragged my previous rig equipped with RCI skid through rocks multiple times and they held well. I've had customers that do Jeep things with their Toyotas and Lexus and their RCI skids passed the tests.

You can read the full overview, installation tips and tricks, and review here: RCI Metalworks Skid Plates: Engine, Tranny (and cat shield), T-Case Overview, Install, and Review

RCI's skids are compatible with ALL trim levels and ALL engine options except TRX (I think TRX is different). Also Included a front filler piece that goes between the first crossmember and bumper.
thumbnail_IMG_4903.jpg

Daverous

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'd missed this product.

Did it settle your front end much? I'm on a 550lb spring with my 2.5s and wonder if it'll drop it much. Looks like 102lbs or 40ish for just the front.

scuba

Reaction score
Wow that skid package looks awesome. How well does it protect the fuel filter area? Since it sits lower in the ecodiesel trucks for 22. My 16 was high above the driveline.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'd missed this product.

Did it settle your front end much? I'm on a 550lb spring with my 2.5s and wonder if it'll drop it much. Looks like 102lbs or 40ish for just the front.
i'm sure they just released it not long ago. I checked the site last year when i was ordering parts for the build but nothing was available for our trucks; this year I was looking for skids for my friend's 4Runner and FJ and I found the Ram application lol

nah it's fine I didn't notice any drop at all.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that skid package looks awesome. How well does it protect the fuel filter area? Since it sits lower in the ecodiesel trucks for 22. My 16 was high above the driveline.
i have no idea where the fuel filter is lol
mine's a gasser.

best bet is to send them an email. i'm not affiliated nor sponsored lol just have plenty of customers that we've ordered these and installed for

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i have no idea where the fuel filter is lol
mine's a gasser.

best bet is to send them an email. i'm not affiliated nor sponsored lol just have plenty of customers that we've ordered these and installed for
In the tank

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the tank
ah i see in that case @scuba the fuel filter area is NOT covered by the skids. These skids are only from front of bumper all the way to end of transfer case. Fuel tank is not covered.

Of all my years wheeling I never ran into situations where I impacted my fuel tank. No one I know ran into that kind of situation.
Now, with longer wheelbase of our trucks and significantly lower ground clearance of fuel tank area compared to other rigs, I can see our trucks' fuel tanks touching or scraping (and that had happened before) BUT I don't think there's gonna be hard enough impact to require a thicker skid.

Fuel tank is more of a breakover thing and when that happens it's usually just light scratch/ scrub, not hard impact.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
ah i see in that case @scuba the fuel filter area is NOT covered by the skids. These skids are only from front of bumper all the way to end of transfer case. Fuel tank is not covered.

Of all my years wheeling I never ran into situations where I impacted my fuel tank. No one I know ran into that kind of situation.
Now, with longer wheelbase of our trucks and significantly lower ground clearance of fuel tank area compared to other rigs, I can see our trucks' fuel tanks touching or scraping (and that had happened before) BUT I don't think there's gonna be hard enough impact to require a thicker skid.

Fuel tank is more of a breakover thing and when that happens it's usually just light scratch/ scrub, not hard impact.
I'm pretty sure the tank is higher than the frame, so shouldn't be an issue. Unlike these old mustangs where the tank was almost dragging the road and in a prime place for combustion upon rear end collision.

1695749860637.png

Users who are viewing this thread