5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front License Plate Holder

ryco25

Reaction score
The weakest part of our trucks: the front license plate holder. I've now knocked off 3 of them while off-roading in two different Rebels (2x on mine, once on a rental). They catch and rip off so easily - on a truck that is built to off-road with a beefy skid plate, you'd think RAM would put on a better bracket that is held on by more than two flimsy screws.

I just ordered a new bracket but want to avoid doing this again - has anyone explored aftermarket options or DIY hacks to keep the plate secured?

Photo of the plate already half destroyed from a trip through the mud, later the whole bracket came off again. 61436060960__2095D583-8841-4149-BFA3-AE55A61C83BF.JPG

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just came to say, that looks like a ton of fun

also, maybe a diy tow-hook bracket that holds it off to the side/up? I'm also considering a front hitch, punching a hole through the skid and installing the plate at an angle "/" and back it with more aluminum to act as a pseduo skid out front as well

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did this. Some bolts, wahers and nuts. The top holes of the plate line up perfectly with the top skid plate holes. Bent the plate to follow the curvature of the skid plate and it hasn't caught on anything or fallen off. These were some bolts that I had laying around, been meaning to get nicer/bigger bolts.

Front view

20200622_142257.jpg

Back view

20200622_141904.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the same as @silverWS6. You could also mount it to the top holes of the skid plate and the bottom holes of the plate to get it farther from the bottom of the truck. It'd look a little weird, but it's more out of the way.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I'll send you mine for a backup if you pay for shipping. I just moved to AZ from CA and I don't need it anymore

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep I used nuts(lock) and bolts as I also mounted my Vision X licence plate bracket with my Rigid light on mine.

rubiRI77

Reaction score
Have not fixed it yet, but Yes I agree that the front plate bracket is pathetic. Bent mine up bad on a (soft) rotted old stump. I mean it BARELY touched it. i couldn't believe it when I saw it. For the price of these trucks? That is ridiculous.

Crotalus

Reaction score
Yep I used nuts(lock) and bolts as I also mounted my Vision X licence plate bracket with my Rigid light on mine.

Can you post some photos of the Vision X license plate mount on your rig, and tell me how you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never even got a front license plate bracket which I thought was odd considering it's illegal to not have a front license plate in my state. Maybe it's because I got it from Mark Dodge out of state? Should still include the part unmounted inside the cab.

You can just take any nuts and bolts and your own bracket/holder and just mount it. That's what I do in back, its steel and has a coating like a spray in bed liner with a hard plastic clear cover. I clean it once a year for any dirty that gets behind the plastic.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could just take the plate off when you go offroading. Or ditch the plastic bracket and mount plate direct to bumper as suggested by others.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the Vision X license plate mount on your rig, and tell me how you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post #26 shows it mounted with the light. I like it, it was easy to mount just used the longer bolts with the lock nuts and some flat washers. I didn't have to drill anything as it fits through the bolt holes for the licence plate bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread