5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front-End Clunk/Rattle - 2020 Ram Rebel

Mavvie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

2020 Ram Rebel, and I experience a bit of rattle/clunk somewhere in the front suspension.

Symptoms:
1.) Only hear/notice it at slow speeds. Up to ~25mph it seems to be most audible.
2.) Potholes/small bumps/bumpy roads when it's apparent. Never notice it on smooth roads.
2.) Cannot recreate by rocking the truck back and forth, at all - and i've rocked the sh*t out of it.
4.) Cannot decipher whether it's the left or the right side, specifically. Seems to be both, but not sure.

Attempted Fixes:
1.) I have replaced both sway bar end links with part #68399868ad. Mopar end links.
2.) I have replaced both sway bar bushings. Got them from NAPA, not sure of the brand/model but it was verified by the staff to fit the 2020 RAM front sway bar (in retrospect, probably should've measured myself, but they seemed to have fit perfectly.)

That was ~1.5 years ago, and the noise has been back for a couple of months now - just haven't gotten around to looking yet. Took it to the dealer before the aforementioned fixes and they found nothing at the time.

I assume that I should probably re-torque a handful of bolts on both sides, where might one find the torque-specs for the control arms/end links/etc? Not sure what might be next on this troubleshooting adventure but certainly open to ideas or something else to look for while I have the wheels off in the next couple days...

TYIA!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

2020 Ram Rebel, and I experience a bit of rattle/clunk somewhere in the front suspension.

Symptoms:
1.) Only hear/notice it at slow speeds. Up to ~25mph it seems to be most audible.
2.) Potholes/small bumps/bumpy roads when it's apparent. Never notice it on smooth roads.
2.) Cannot recreate by rocking the truck back and forth, at all - and i've rocked the sh*t out of it.
4.) Cannot decipher whether it's the left or the right side, specifically. Seems to be both, but not sure.

Attempted Fixes:
1.) I have replaced both sway bar end links with part #68399868ad. Mopar end links.
2.) I have replaced both sway bar bushings. Got them from NAPA, not sure of the brand/model but it was verified by the staff to fit the 2020 RAM front sway bar (in retrospect, probably should've measured myself, but they seemed to have fit perfectly.)

That was ~1.5 years ago, and the noise has been back for a couple of months now - just haven't gotten around to looking yet. Took it to the dealer before the aforementioned fixes and they found nothing at the time.

I assume that I should probably re-torque a handful of bolts on both sides, where might one find the torque-specs for the control arms/end links/etc? Not sure what might be next on this troubleshooting adventure but certainly open to ideas or something else to look for while I have the wheels off in the next couple days...

TYIA!
I bought this to T.S. my front end clunk.
Amazon.com

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve replaced sway bar bushings and end links a few times on both my 2020 rebel and 2022. The last time I replaced them the clunking/rattling noise did not go away.

I am waiting on a pass through socket to arrive from Amazon to tighten the centre strut bolts slightly as they turn quite easily with a normal socket, but the shaft just spins.

I have narrowed it down to either the front cv axles or the centre strut bolts which are Bilstein 5100’s so I have to rule them out first before visiting the dealer.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m here because I’m having a similar clunk in my front end on my 2023 Laramie. I’ve also got the Bils 5100s up front set at 2.1. I’m going to re-torque everything Saturday since I never did it after having the kit installed almost a year ago. I’ve taken it to the dealer and of course they say they don’t feel anything / it’s normal.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just following up with this - I went back and rechecked/tightened anything that was taken apart when I did the Bilstein 5100s. My noise did seem to decrease, but I do still occasionally hear/feel the clunk. I just changed my sway bar bushings out with the red ones from Amazon I saw a lot of people say fixed their clunk. I don't have any feedback on that yet since I just did swap them out and hour or so ago and haven't driven yet. I'll update once I get a chance to see if it changed anything.

Users who are viewing this thread