5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox 2.5 coilovers install on 2020 Rebel

U

User_21361

A few weeks ago, I installed a front and rear Fox 2.5 with DSC. I haven't seen a lot of content on these and wanted to provide some insight on my experience.

Where I started: Like almost everyone, I wanted a level stance on my Rebel and I was very early to install a set of Bilstein 5100's on setting 5

Why I switched: I loved the look, but hated the ride. Most importantly, my wife really hated the ride. She would get in the back of the truck to help the kids and would consistently describe how rough and bouncy the ride was.

What I installed:
  • Front:
    • Fox FOX-883-06-166
    • Icon UCAs
  • Rear
    • Fox FOX-883-26-079

Why Fox: I was all in on the King 2.5 and was dangerously close to purchasing. The main challenge started when I was quoted about 4-6 weeks for shipping. I am not a patient man but I was willing to wait. It got me looking for other options. Timing was a challenge because I planned on doing the install myself and did not really want to be working in the cold. I started looking at Fox and saw several posts online about their very high quality parts (not that Kings are not high quality). The most intriguing part was the improved adjustment of the Fox DSC vs Kings adjustment system. You can google to find the similar articles if that intrigues you. I called around and Poly Performance had a set in stock to ship next day which then solved my main issue and the decision was very easy (although more expensive). I opted for the longer front coilovers because I do plan on lifting the back another inch. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either setup.

For UCAs, it all came down to availability. Everyone was several weeks out except for icon. Given I was unwilling to wait for coilovers, I was certainly unwilling to block on UCAs.

Price: $4350

Install: I did the work in two chunks mostly because I have never done this before by myself. I swapped out my springs and struts on an old wrangler, but I had help from someone knowledgeable. I started with the rear, because they arrived before the fronts. This was also a bit better because I could feel more comfortable with the process as I knew it would take a few days of sporadic work to finish the job with 2 young kids at home. I knew the rear would be easier to do.

Rear Install: The install was very smooth. The two hardest parts were 1) getting the wheels off (The new Fuel wheels have a different lug pattern than my wrench). 2) Getting the stock shocks off at the top. I solved the first on with a quick purchase/ship from Amazon. Thankfully I tried the lugs a day early and saw the issue. Also thankfully I didn't figure out that I couldn't get my wheels off when changing a flat tire! (PSA). With the wheels off, I just had to disconnect the shock. Getting the top nut off was challenging because the Bilstein shocks have a hex top to prevent the rod from spinning. This works great except you cant hold that and twist the nut on the last 2 threads. I wasn't able to hand loosen the nut at this stage and had to opt for a rubber grip (old bike tube) and vice grips to get the nut off. The new shocks slipped right into place with no fuss. The whole rear took about 2-3 hours.

1600876866694.png

Front install: Oddly, these were easier (ie no gotcha) but required more steps. I did this more in stages as I expected 5+ hours to do the whole thing. I disconnected everything the night before (including the stock UCA). I then also prepped the Icon UCA for install ahead of time. The only really hard part was getting the stock UCA to pop off. I started with a small hammer, but that just didnt work. The drivers side popped off with a few taps of a sledge (watch a youtube video before attempting to calibrate on what a tap/hit means). The passenger side took significantly more force and effort. I had an "oh crap" moment thinking I wouldn't be able to get the UCA off. A few harder hits got it off. Then just put it all in and torqued to spec. Pretty uneventful but certainly doable for someone with tools and fairly comfortable with DIY stuff. The whole process took about 6 hours.

1600876844036.png

The results: The truck stance completely matched that of my Bilstein 5100 level. No additional height (which was expected). After a quick trip to the shop to get an alignment I was ready for testing

Road test (and final exam): One main benefit of the Fox shocks is the adjustment between on and off road. They came at setting 3 (of 10) which are very soft which is amazing for road use. The performance over bumps on the road, both at high and low speeds is significantly better than stock (and especially the 5100s). I noticed a dramatic change and most importantly the wife approves of the ride which used to get several complaints on every single drive. I can't over state how much better she enjoys it.

Off road test: I haven't done any real slow crawling since the installed but I did hit a few fire roads. I stopped and adjusted to setting 7. The adjustment is easy, but annoying to sit on the ground to do. I was able to take them at about 45-50 mph with no effort. You recognize you are going over bumps but its not jarring at all. I was able to comfortably drink coffee out while driving (YMMV). I took the 5100's offroad and they did their job, but you could really feel the bumps at 15-20 mph. To me, the 5100 aren't really in the same league and comparison isn't super valuable.

Whats next: I really want to be able to use the extra inch on the front coilovers, but I refuse to put a spacer on top of a 4k suspension. I have been searching for rear springs and have a set on order. They arrive the end of Sept and I'll do a test fitting. I'll post an update after the install.

ironking

Reaction score
Great write up! I’m actually waiting for the same ones to arrive. Fox is now moving locations so my ESD got pushed back to December. Which is crap. I currently have the Stage 5 Icon, which is good, but on a Rebel (especially with a slightly longer rear spring) I have too much take for me. So I’m going to use the UCAs also with the Ivón rear springs. Glad you like em. Everything you mentioned is what I was hoping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I wanted to say thank you, as I have come across several of your posts and they are very informative. I have been bouncing between King and Fox myself and I think this sealed the deal for me.

Really looking forward to your rear spring journey, as I have an ORP truck so have the same issue as you that I wouldn't be able to run the full 3in (+2in from rebel/ORP) in the front without being nose high.

U

User_21361

I wanted to say thank you, as I have come across several of your posts and they are very informative. I have been bouncing between King and Fox myself and I think this sealed the deal for me.

Really looking forward to your rear spring journey, as I have an ORP truck so have the same issue as you that I wouldn't be able to run the full 3in (+2in from rebel/ORP) in the front without being nose high.

Thanks! Glad I can help. I’ve been really enjoying the process of learning for this build. It’s my first truck and I have renewed my affinity for tinkering. I just got a shipping notification on the springs, so I should have info on the install late next week.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I have the ICON UCA's arriving today as the BDS (a little cheaper) were on back order, really excited to put this together.

Have you received the springs yet to compare against stock?

antwon412

Reaction score
Perhaps I missed it, but what was your net gain in height?
I currently have a simple ready lift 2 inch spacer lift on front with their UCAs.
I’m pretty happy with the height that I’m at now. I wanted to keep the truck pretty low but still be able to put 35s on it which I have been able to do.

But I would not mind having some higher and suspension, and at most another half inch or so of lfit front and rear over what I currently have (stock rear height, 2” lift in front)

U

User_21361

Have you received the springs yet to compare against stock?
No, I think FedEx has a person actually walking them from CT to WA... :ROFLMAO:

They should arrive Friday. Fingers crossed I can install this weekend, but may have to wait for some time next week.

Perhaps I missed it, but what was your net gain in height?
I currently have a simple ready lift 2 inch spacer lift on front with their UCAs.
I’m pretty happy with the height that I’m at now. I wanted to keep the truck pretty low but still be able to put 35s on it which I have been able to do.

But I would not mind having some higher and suspension, and at most another half inch or so of lfit front and rear over what I currently have (stock rear height, 2” lift in front)

Current height change: No change over Bilstein 5100 on setting 5. Front 39" from ground to fender w/ stock duratrac. Rear, no change 39.25" ground to fender. I would consider this a level kit

Planned adjustments: New springs will arrive Friday which should give me an extra inch in the rear. Then I will adjust the front coilover to add an inch of preload.

U

User_21361

I can confirm.... the springs fit. The ride is great!.

My only issue is that I got a bit more lift than I hoped for (now sitting about 2.5-2.75 over non-orp/Rebel height. My Fox shocks say they support 0-2 inches of lift. Will I damage them by leaving it like this?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
I can confirm.... the springs fit. The ride is great!.

My only issue is that I got a bit more lift than I hoped for (now sitting about 2.5-2.75 over non-orp/Rebel height. My Fox shocks say they support 0-2 inches of lift. Will I damage them by leaving it like this?
Good news. Glad to know they worked for you. I can't remove the grin in my face with those coils especially when the time to add camping gear comes into place. I'm running 29" extended King 2.5 piggyback shocks I had custom made from King to better utilize the Clayton 2.5" coil spring extended length. Those Clayton springs can support 30" extended shocks. I went with 29" cause it's what Dirt King uses in their long travel kit for the 4th gen RAM for their King rear bypasses. This is my daily driver so I didn't want a clack clack from a bypass shock so i asked Accutune to ask King to make the same King OE shock for the 4th gen RAM 1500 but a 29" version for me and Accutune did put the valving I wanted and tuned them for my mods.

I'll show you how to measure your coilovers give me a minute to pull the info.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Form accutune

How to Measure your coilovers
With your vehicle at ride height on level ground, measure from the top of the “top cap” to the center of the lower shock bolt. This is the shock length at ride height with the vehicle weight on the shocks. With some quick math, we can figure out where the shock is sitting and how much up or down travel it has from that point.
(see chart for max height suggestions)
[IMG]

In your case, you have Fox FOX-883-06-166 per your OP, those are the extended travel version so they should be 1" longer than stock
Extended24.030
Compressed17.780

The other shock is the 0-2, #883-06-165 literally the same thing just 1" shorter
Extended23.280
Compressed17.780

Measure from your top hat to the lower bolt at ride height. From all the examples they have you want to keep 1.5-2" delta from their extended lenght tops at ride height
so in your case, the lenght of your assembly at ride height should be no more than 22-22.5" if you had the 883-06-166
or 21.25"-21.75" if you had the 883-06-165

You can contact Accutune for a more accurate statement. they make a living out of this and will give a better run down as to what the max lenght can be according to you what have.

To give you an example my Kings are 22.5" long at full droop and they're extended travel 1" longer than stock, i have them setup at 20 3/4" at ride height. Max i could go is 21" from Accutune.
You guys have about 1.5" extra droop in the 5th gen RAM compared to ours when you go extended travel. That's pretty freaking Swweeet with IFS :)

U

User_21361

Form accutune

How to Measure your coilovers
With your vehicle at ride height on level ground, measure from the top of the “top cap” to the center of the lower shock bolt. This is the shock length at ride height with the vehicle weight on the shocks. With some quick math, we can figure out where the shock is sitting and how much up or down travel it has from that point.
(see chart for max height suggestions)
[IMG]

In your case, you have Fox FOX-883-06-166 per your OP, those are the extended travel version so they should be 1" longer than stock
Extended24.030
Compressed17.780

The other shock is the 0-2, #883-06-165 literally the same thing just 1" shorter
Extended23.280
Compressed17.780

Measure from your top hat to the lower bolt at ride height. From all the examples they have you want to keep 1.5-2" delta from their extended lenght tops at ride height
so in your case, the lenght of your assembly at ride height should be no more than 22-22.5" if you had the 883-06-166
or 21.25"-21.75" if you had the 883-06-165

You can contact Accutune for a more accurate statement. they make a living out of this and will give a better run down as to what the max lenght can be according to you what have.

To give you an example my Kings are 22.5" long at full droop and they're extended travel 1" longer than stock, i have them setup at 20 3/4" at ride height. Max i could go is 21" from Accutune.
You guys have about 1.5" extra droop in the 5th gen RAM compared to ours when you go extended travel. That's pretty freaking Swweeet with IFS :)
Thanks for the info! I am definitely going to be adjusting the fronts as soon as I figure out the back length. Do you think I'm causing any harm to the rear shocks by running the longer spring (less than an inch past the stated lift height of the shock)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I am definitely going to be adjusting the fronts as soon as I figure out the back length. Do you think I'm causing any harm to the rear shocks by running the longer spring (less than an inch past the stated lift height of the shock)?

I just posted in your spring thread, Sorry for keep jumping form one to the other :)

"
Didn't realize from other thread you were asking about the rear shocks :)
Do you have measurements of your stock rear shocks extended and compressed lenght ?

From your other thread you're runing Fox 2.5 883-26-079
Those are 25.6" extended
Extended25.650
Compressed16.850

At ride height, measure your shock from the stem bushing in your case to the lower bolt eyelet. Similar to how you'll measure your coilovers as i posted in your other thread.

That measurement should not be 25.5" for example because that'll mean your shocks are literally fully extended at ride height. you want around 1-2" or more to keep a compliant ride.
Clayton 2.5" coils can run up to 30" maybe 30.5" extended shocks. so you have room for longer legs if you wanted/needed them. "

U

User_21361

Thanks for all the help. This maybe a dumb question - Where would I measure from (1,2,or 3 from the photo)?

1601782497658.png

U

User_21361

Also measure the shock shaft showing from #2
Currently 22.5" from end to end using the directions above and 5 7/8" of the shaft showing. That means I have about 3" of down travel left which seems alright, but less than ideal.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Currently 22.5" from end to end using the directions above and 5 7/8" of the shaft showing. That means I have about 3" of down travel left which seems alright, but less than ideal.

It's not bad there is 3.15" droop left in the shocks. You're almost in the middle of the shock stroke as you have 8.8" of travel so your shocks will be ok in current config, you have 5.65" uptravel to absorb impacts, and the shock is not close to topping out at ride heigh Plus if you add some weight in the bed like steel bumper, bigger spare, soft/hard top, RTT, tools etc etc, you drop some still towards the middle of its stroke.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Thank you both, these threads have been really helpful, I'm trying to follow along on this journey..

For reference I have an ORP truck (1in higher than non orp/same height as stock rebel) and my fox 2.5 rears have 5.125in of shaft as measured from #2 shown above(or did you truly measure only the shaft that is showing since the rubber bushing between #2 and #3 doesn't give you travel?). From #2 to the center of the bottom eyelet I'm getting right about 22in.

I do have a fiberglass topper, MFT (75lb extra in the bed) plus the bed utility group with the rails and sprayed bed (dont know weight) which should give me less shaft showing so I'm kind of surprised that you are only at 5.65in while ~1.5in higher than me in the rear.

My floor to fender measurement in the back with a 33in michelin tire is 39.4in driver rear and 39.75in passenger rear.

U

User_21361

Thank you both, these threads have been really helpful, I'm trying to follow along on this journey..

For reference I have an ORP truck (1in higher than non orp/same height as stock rebel) and my fox 2.5 rears have 5.125in of shaft as measured from #2 shown above(or did you truly measure only the shaft that is showing since the rubber bushing between #2 and #3 doesn't give you travel?). From #2 to the center of the bottom eyelet I'm getting right about 22in.

I do have a fiberglass topper, MFT (75lb extra in the bed) plus the bed utility group with the rails and sprayed bed (dont know weight) which should give me less shaft showing so I'm kind of surprised that you are only at 5.65in while ~1.5in higher than me in the rear.

My floor to fender measurement in the back with a 33in michelin tire is 39.4in driver rear and 39.75in passenger rear.

For the exposed shaft measurement, I measured from #2 to the top of tube (basically ignoring the existence of the rubber stopper). Those measurements do make sense to me. The shock in not vertical so I would not expect the shock length difference to match the vertical height difference. (Similar to a right triangle).

Current measurements:
1601840464617.png

So I'm sitting about an inch higher than you. I have a DIamondback HD (100ish lbs) and gear (snow chains, tools probably another 75 lbs).

Last edited by a moderator:

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Attaching my heights in a similar format as yours, all measurements with same 33in tires fyi.

With my weight in the back and your report I'll go with the Clayton's as well to get to ~2in above non ORP, I'd really like more than 0.5in of rake as I load up the bed with gear and not worrying about being nose high would be nice.

You do need to remove the front fox shocks to change the preload, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004-151535_Sheets.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-151535_Sheets.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread