5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Wheel Drive Auto 4WD Auto

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That video is good.
The truck computer is sensing a substantial difference in wheel-speed going around those tight turns and activating the clutch in the transfer case
on a dry pavement. Same goes for accelerating, rears start to spin, clutch kicks in = noise.
IMHO, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do and the sounds and vibrations/feed-back is normal.

maddog49

Reaction score
That sounds pretty normal. Go drive another new truck and see if it sounds the same.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
That sounds pretty normal. Go drive another new truck and see if it sounds the same.
Okay, so possibly the system is doing what it is supposed to do! When I first tried it, the sound was very loud to the point it sounded like a tire was scraping a fender liner. It's not anywhere that loud now.

I was prompted to try it for the first time after I had the rear ring and pinion replaced. I was getting wheel hop around turns from the rear axle (in 2WD with no locker on). Of course, that entire assembly is being replaced as we speak.

The 2018 I drove made zero noise, so I expected that from my 2019.

So many others told me theirs makes no noise.

Arawji

Reaction score
Read your whole thread and watched the video, mine does exactly the same thing and dealer is claiming it is normal. I had a previous generation ram 1500 with the auto system and it was whisper quiet, so my intuition is that there is something wrong here. I am going to walk into another dealer and pretend to buy a new limited just like mine and ask for a test drive. Lets see what happens. If you did resolve your issue please let me know. Thanks

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Read your whole thread and watched the video, mine does exactly the same thing and dealer is claiming it is normal. I had a previous generation ram 1500 with the auto system and it was whisper quiet, so my intuition is that there is something wrong here. I am going to walk into another dealer and pretend to buy a new limited just like mine and ask for a test drive. Lets see what happens. If you did resolve your issue please let me know. Thanks

Hi @Arawji - I apologize for the frustration associated with your ownership experience. Please know that we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for your second opinion. Please follow up with us via private message when you can!

Mark
RamCares

Ashley Botterill

Reaction score
Did this get sorted out on your truck? I have the same issue with a 2019 Limited, I have had the transfer case and front diff replaced and neither have helped! A guy I work with has an identical truck so i am going to try his.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did this get sorted out on your truck? I have the same issue with a 2019 Limited, I have had the transfer case and front diff replaced and neither have helped! A guy I work with has an identical truck so i am going to try his.

Curious about this as well. Mine makes the groaning sound as well. I only use 4WD Auto in rainy weather so the road is wet when in use. Seems very apparent in parking lots when you turn corners.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Curious about this as well. Mine makes the groaning sound as well. I only use 4WD Auto in rainy weather so the road is wet when in use. Seems very apparent in parking lots when you turn corners.
That sounds like it’s not going into auto 4WD and going into 4WD HIGH instead .

GregW

Reaction score
I did shoot one Sunday, but it is horrible quality and sound. I will place a link below. I'll try to get a much better capture when I get the truck back.

I am a former service manager from a GMC/Dodge store. Go talk to your salesperson or the General Manager and get them on your side. They stand to lose money and a customer. The service manager is only working as hard as he has to, but he gets paid even if you are not happy. The salesperson and general manager need you to come back, service does not care as they always have more business than they can handle. We had people drive 50+ miles to our service department because we handled other dealers issues. We made it 58 years and 4 generations before GM's decline put us out of business.

Vilas15

Reaction score
Any resolutions here? Everyone just given up? Just had the dealer look at mine which makes the groaning noise when turning in 4wd. Said they couldnt replicate it. I could leaving their parking lot. Said they check fluid levels which was my initial suspicion.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Any resolutions here? Everyone just given up? Just had the dealer look at mine which makes the groaning noise when turning in 4wd. Said they couldnt replicate it. I could leaving their parking lot. Said they check fluid levels which was my initial suspicion.
Stand at the service managers desk until he rides with you. Then take a truck off the lot and have him show you how it does it too. I bet he can't. 4 auto does not engage until needed so on dry pavement it is still 2wd. No troubles turning, no noises.

pounds

Reaction score
FWIW... I had a similar groaning out of the front diff when in 4WD auto. Stopping quickly or turning at too high of a speed made mine growl. I ended up changing the front diff oil and it is a lot quieter now. I really only notice it when the truck has been sitting overnight in cold weather. After it warms up a bit, the noise is gone. I made a video on changing the fluid out.

Vilas15

Reaction score
FWIW... I had a similar groaning out of the front diff when in 4WD auto. Stopping quickly or turning at too high of a speed made mine growl. I ended up changing the front diff oil and it is a lot quieter now. I really only notice it when the truck has been sitting overnight in cold weather. After it warms up a bit, the noise is gone. I made a video on changing the fluid out.

I was wondering if temperature had anything to do with it. I use 4wd only in the snow when i hear it. I think the dealer had it in the shop for an oil change and probably had it warm before they tried to listen for it. Changing the fluid looks easy, maybe ill try it at some point.

fitz7

Reaction score
I have a question for those who's trucks are equipped with 4WD Auto.

My truck makes a sort of groaning, grinding or scraping noise when I engage 4WD Auto. The noise gets much louder when I make a tight turn. It almost sounds like the oil is dry. It also gets much louder with my foot on the gas.

The Chrysler area manager supposedly drove my truck and said all the noises are normal because I tried the system on dry pavement.

I was prompted to try the system because my rear differential is defective, was rebuilt by the dealer and now is going to be replaced as a new factory assembled unit in its entirely, because the dealer repair failed miserably.

The area manager wrote a statement on my last service work order saying that the 4 WD Auto system was not designed to be used on dry pavement.

I think that's total BS.

I'm going to paste a section from the owners manual below that states otherwise:

"This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two–wheel drive position (2WD) or four-wheel drive position (4WD AUTO) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads). Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle is not engaged in 2WD."

Dors anyone else who has this system hear any kind of noise when it is engaged in 4WD Auto especially when making a tight turn?

I normally keep the truck in 2WD, but this is what I experienced when I tried 4WD Auto for the first time. I do believe mine is defective.

What would be the point of having 4WD Auto if it weren't designed to be left on in anticipation of bad weather?

I've owned 2 other rear wheel drive based vehicles that had 4WD Auto which made zero noise when engaged.

I think the dealer and area manager are feeding me a line if BS!

Any input is appreciated.
I have the exact sane issue on my 2019 ram 1500 warlock. At 46,000 km during a move in snowy conditions i blew my rear diff. If there was any noise it would have been impossible to hear over the rumbling tires in compact snow conditions and i only heard the wherring noise once it was already damaged.

They took 2 months to get a bearing and pinion set. When it was repaired i paid to have it towed to where i had moved for 570$. Day one that i got it back it had speed wobbles at any speed and had weird resistance on acceleration but no grinding noises just handling issues. I called the dealership about it and they said its just breaking in the new diff. Day 3 i get a whirring noise and i probably drove 5 kms to work each day over 3 days for the noise to come back. Took it to the dealership where i moved and they said nothing is wrong with it. I test drove with their mechanic after they did a teat drive and aid nothing is wrong and he said its out of round tires from sitting too long even though it was an obvious grinding sound. After 15 minutes driving with the mechanic i said its the rear diff. He said ok we will look at it but its probably your tires. Next day i get a call that it is the rear diff again. 3 weeks waiting for parts and they install them... vehicles 4 x 4 now has a whining noise and the rear diff has a noticable moving parts sound but no whirring. It sounds more like a hum. None of these sounds occured in my vehicle b4. I went back the same day saying the vehicle has noticeable sounds and im worried i will break the 2nd bearing kit. The mechanic said the noise is my tires and to put a spare set of tires on to see if i still have the noise. Its -20 here and icy and the mechanic told me to put summer tires on to test the noise... it is day 2 and i had a hum driving to work in 4 x 4 and 2 wheel drive. I never had the noise in the 4 x 4 4. Is it possible that a damaged rear diff can damage your 4 x 4? I am also getting the run around. What did you end up doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online