5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Wheel Drive Auto 4WD Auto

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have a question for those who's trucks are equipped with 4WD Auto.

My truck makes a sort of groaning, grinding or scraping noise when I engage 4WD Auto. The noise gets much louder when I make a tight turn. It almost sounds like the oil is dry. It also gets much louder with my foot on the gas.

The Chrysler area manager supposedly drove my truck and said all the noises are normal because I tried the system on dry pavement.

I was prompted to try the system because my rear differential is defective, was rebuilt by the dealer and now is going to be replaced as a new factory assembled unit in its entirely, because the dealer repair failed miserably.

The area manager wrote a statement on my last service work order saying that the 4 WD Auto system was not designed to be used on dry pavement.

I think that's total BS.

I'm going to paste a section from the owners manual below that states otherwise:

"This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two–wheel drive position (2WD) or four-wheel drive position (4WD AUTO) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads). Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle is not engaged in 2WD."

Dors anyone else who has this system hear any kind of noise when it is engaged in 4WD Auto especially when making a tight turn?

I normally keep the truck in 2WD, but this is what I experienced when I tried 4WD Auto for the first time. I do believe mine is defective.

What would be the point of having 4WD Auto if it weren't designed to be left on in anticipation of bad weather?

I've owned 2 other rear wheel drive based vehicles that had 4WD Auto which made zero noise when engaged.

I think the dealer and area manager are feeding me a line if BS!

Any input is appreciated.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Sounds like bs. My truck in auto 4wd is quiet as a mouse on dry pavement. Sounds like they are confusing 4hi and low with awd

Yeah, I think once they heard I tried the system on dry pavement, they never even drove it.

I would never use 4 Hi or 4 Lo on dry pavement. I used 4 WD Auto.

It sounds like my system is defective. The first time I made a tight turn in 4WD Auto, it was so loud, I thought the tire was scraping the fender liner.

4 WD Auto is designed to be used ahead of time in anticipation of slippery road conditions.

Teamcook

Reaction score
I put my 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab in 4WD-Auto whenever the pavement is wet, because it helps so much when trying to accelerate on freeway ramps or at lights on surface streets. I typically leave it on, even across significant patches of dry pavement. I've never heard a peep out of it. I specifically bought the truck that I did, rather than a Rebel, because I wanted the 4WD-Auto feature (I wanted the 4WD for boat ramps and rainy conditions - I live in central Texas, and never drive off road, unless you count climbing curbs to park in ad hoc overflow parking). I love my truck. The dealer is blowing a load of hogwash, imho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to feel slight binding in a tight turn on dry pavement. But what you describe seems like more than that.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I put my 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab in 4WD-Auto whenever the pavement is wet, because it helps so much when trying to accelerate on freeway ramps or at lights on surface streets. I typically leave it on, even across significant patches of dry pavement. I've never heard a peep out of it. I specifically bought the truck that I did, rather than a Rebel, because I wanted the 4WD-Auto feature (I wanted the 4WD for boat ramps and rainy conditions - I live in central Texas, and never drive off road, unless you count climbing curbs to park in ad hoc overflow parking). I love my truck. The dealer is blowing a load of hogwash, imho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's what I thought. The dealer and the area manager are just trying to blow me off. If they would have driven the truck, they would have heard the "cccccccccccccccc" noise that it makes when turning. It's pretty loud. It sounds to me like no or low oil.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to feel slight binding in a tight turn on dry pavement. But what you describe seems like more than that.
I drove a 2018 that I had for a loaner while mine was in again last week. No noise out of that whatsoever. And yes, I would expect a slight binding in a tight turn. Mine makes a loud noise. I'll probably have to go for a ride with them or take it to another dealer. What a pain in the ___! 1 year of ownership on the 24th of this month and still all the issues are not fixed!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drove a 2018 that I had for a loaner while mine was in again last week. No noise out of that whatsoever. And yes, I would expect a slight binding in a tight turn. Mine makes a loud noise. I'll probably have to go for a ride with them or take it to another dealer. What a pain in the ___! 1 year of ownership on the 24th of this month and still all the issues are not fixed!
Here’s hoping your extraordinary patience will soon be rewarded!

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has been in 4wd Auto for the better part of a year now. Has never made any noises. 17K miles

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I use 4wd auto when it rains hard, no noise or sounds. It is quiet just as it is in 2wd. They are trying to rip you off. It really angers me when I see dealerships trying to do that to customers.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Mine makes noise on turns, and will have a bit of a binding sensation on really tight ones. Dealer says normal. When the wheels “slip” such as being at different speeds while in a turn, the transfer case thinks it needs to send power to both axles.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice some slight binding on tight turns with my 2019 but no noise, now my 2014 would not bind even in 4wd lock on dry pavement. I know the did some updates to the 4wd for the 5th gen not sure what it all intailed.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10k miles never ANY sounds when in 4WD Auto wet pavement dry or otherwise. I would take it to another dealer or if theres not one reasonably close call the dealer and ask for the contact info for the FCA rep.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I dropped my truck off at the dealer today to have the rear differential in its entirety replaced.

While I was there, I asked the service manager to go for a ride with me to listen to what I am hearing when the truck is in 4WD Auto. The manager said he would go, but that the noise is normal. He also said that the area manager said that the noise is normal. So needless to say, I didn't waste my time going for a ride with the service manager. He'll just say what we are hearing is normal.

I pointed out that I started this thread here asking others who have a 2019 Ram 1500 with 4WD Auto if their trucks make any kind of noises and that the general consensus was no. I was just told that you can't believe everything that you hear on the Internet.

I was also told that even though the owner's manual states that you can drive the truck in 4WD Auto on dry pavement that you are not supposed to do it. The service manager also states that the area manager confirms this.

This will be my one and only FCA product. It can happen with any brand that you get a lemon. It's how the manufacturer takes care of you that makes the difference. This has been going on for over a year now and I still don't have a 100% truck. I am so disgusted. The service manager said they have about $15,000 in repairs in my truck so far. What a P.O.S. I may just have to call a lemon law lawyer at this point. In PA, you have to have either a safety related issue or something that detracts from the value of the vehicle. I thought that the dealer had my best interest at heart, but I found out otherwise.

The 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 loaner that I drove with 4WD Auto made no noises whatsoever when in 4WD Auto on dry pavement. I explained to the service manager that I had a Ford that was rear wheel drive with 4WD Auto and it made no noises either. The service manager stated that the systems are not comparable. Ram is like a Subaru system. Whatever that means...

The dealer appraised my truck at $40,000 for a trade. The window sticker was $70,000 and I paid around $60,000 with discount and rebate. I am totally screwed.

I said that I wanted to drive a new truck like mine to hear it for myself. The service manager said that he would arrange that when I come to pick up my truck from the rear differential replacement.

Even if I go to a different dealer, I'll have the same area manager. There's no escaping it!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even if I go to a different dealer, I'll have the same area manager. There's no escaping it!
What a crappy experience! And yes, complete hog-wash from the dealer.
I would still try a different dealer, they might have more motivated mechanics on the pay-roll that know how the system works.
The one thing I wish my Rebel had is the A4WD, got spoiled by my `97 Expedition with A4WD.
Hope you get this resolved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread