5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found interior from a 2020 Laramie, going to do the swap...

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Well I won a bid on ebay for front seats, console & rear seats. All from a 2020 1500 crew cab laramie, in black. Air bags intact, all power/wiring/connectors in tact. My 2020 big horn has power driver seat, manual passenger, but both seats are heated. From another thread, looks like this should be "plug and play" and then using AlphaOBD to program the seat ventilation function to show on the UConnect screen.

Is there anything else to look for or have to update? I've done this kind of thing before on older vehicles - no SRS systems - I want to make sure I'm doing this right and if there's anything else to be aware of... If I do manage to find the physical buttons for seat ventilation, anyone know if the wiring to the console area is in place or will I need to do some work to get the physical buttons to operate?

Thanks!

Haroderon

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I was just looking to do the same thing but haven’t found any information on it.

Daverous

Reaction score
You'll be good. Nothing tricky. Only weird setting in alfa is seat material type. Change that to 6 or 7 for ventilation to work.
The physical buttons do require a different harness from memory. I had the 12" so didn't need it, nor will you if you're good with using uconnect.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Well the seats arrived today ... and right away, this is clearly not plug and play stuff. I started with what I figured would be the easiest seat - the left side rear seat. My truck is a 2020 Big Horn Crew Cab .. the seats I purchased were from a 2020 Laramie 1500. So got the old seat out, which wasn't terrible to do. The old seat back has two vertical bars that sort of latch on to the cab wall on 2 brackets. The Laramie seat is completely different. Because it can slide, the seat back instead should latch on to a single vertical bar - which doesn't exist on my truck - and the seat rails that bolt to the floor, the rear bolt location is completely different - as in there are no pre-drilled holes to bolt back into.

Of course, looking at the other back seat its going to be identical problem.

So right there I just stopped because I'm pretty frustrated at nearly $3k spend and this will not be easy to do...maybe the front seats will go smoother but I'm giving up today. At a minimum, if I do want to the Laramie rear seat, I'm going to have to find someone to drill holes - and I know that's got all kinds of potential safety concerns - and somehow fabricate a vertical bar and get it mounted on the back cab wall for the seat latches to latch to.

Daverous

Reaction score
So the rear seat you picked up is reclining? That does complicate things, but has been done. I also skipped the rear swap with a limited set due to the additional complications and lack of a rear harness being native on my truck. I've seen others that had the harness back there on Laramie trims from the factory.
The front should be much more straight forward.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Front is looking better yes - I took the passenger seat out and center console out - those seem very much plug and play. I would love to see how the rear seat swap was solved - any chance you have a link to something that shows how someone managed that install? Also the new rear seats have heated option - as does the new center console of course - I'm thinking while I have everything out to get that working too. Obviously I need wiring harness from the rear seat back to ... I'm guessing fuse box? Not critical as I rarely have anyone back there, it's more of a "well that's annoying me now that I didn't do it" :)

Daverous

Reaction score
I'll search for the back seat thread at some point. It was just for installing reclining, not the heat.
The heat will require a harness if you don't have one hiding under there, some people have found one. Due to the voltage it'd be a decent sized one at that. I think it's doable, I just never played with it. Based on a few other harnesses I've played with you may be able to snake power/ground from the etorque harness if you don't have the battery, then run bcm signal to the front. I can't verify that first hand, it was just my thought when looking at my truck.
There's a couple people on here that may be able to make you said harness.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Front seats are in and the new center console - all those were very simple and true "plug and play" - there's a victory for me there at least. The rear seats still scratching my head on how to solve. I can get the striker bars for the seat backs - that's pretty simple & cheap - but the seat rails/mounts to bolt to the floor I don't see an answer for how to solve. Not going to give up yet just sure wish it was not such a challenge for what should be a pretty simple task. Appreciate the input/comments/suggestions, thank you.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Quick update. Was able to identify the striker assembly needed for the rear recliner seats and ordered them. I have to take the liner off the cab wall to see what needs done to put the striker latch on, crossing fingers but not expecting it to be as simple as "bolt and go"... on the plus side, the 60/40 seats, the "60" side seat matches up with 3 of the 4 existing bolt holes. Still hoping for some magic answer on how to get everything lined up - even if that means different rails/brackets - I suppose worst case is going to a local fabricator shop and seeing if they can solution something that will work.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick update. Was able to identify the striker assembly needed for the rear recliner seats and ordered them. I have to take the liner off the cab wall to see what needs done to put the striker latch on, crossing fingers but not expecting it to be as simple as "bolt and go"... on the plus side, the 60/40 seats, the "60" side seat matches up with 3 of the 4 existing bolt holes. Still hoping for some magic answer on how to get everything lined up - even if that means different rails/brackets - I suppose worst case is going to a local fabricator shop and seeing if they can solution something that will work.

What about the possibility of obtaining the needed rear seat rails/brackets from a salvage yard?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
What about the possibility of obtaining the needed rear seat rails/brackets from a salvage yard?
The new seats have the rails & brackets. The issue is those brackets have a different orientation where they bolt into the floor. The front rail/mount lines up with the old ones, but the rears do not. On the recline seats, the bolt holes & brackets are inward facing - the old ones the brackets have the bolt holes outward, so now there is an offset. And because one of those locations is also where the seat beat buckle goes, can't really get by with just mounting the seat by the front bolts and calling it a day. I appreciate the suggestion - I'm all for finding someway to solve this - but in this case its not a parts issue. As for the striker plate latch for the seat back, those were only $20. I do like a good salvage yard hunt though :)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new seats have the rails & brackets. The issue is those brackets have a different orientation where they bolt into the floor. The front rail/mount lines up with the old ones, but the rears do not. On the recline seats, the bolt holes & brackets are inward facing - the old ones the brackets have the bolt holes outward, so now there is an offset. And because one of those locations is also where the seat beat buckle goes, can't really get by with just mounting the seat by the front bolts and calling it a day. I appreciate the suggestion - I'm all for finding someway to solve this - but in this case its not a parts issue. As for the striker plate latch for the seat back, those were only $20. I do like a good salvage yard hunt though :)
You shouldn’t have to modify any of the seat brackets. Have you pulled back the floor carpet to find all the necessary bolt holes yet? They must be there, as I can’t imagine them producing two different crew cabs (assuming you have a crew cab) with different bolt holes. The seatbelt buckle in question would probably on top of the seat bracket and bolt through both.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I hadn't pulled up the carpet yet. But sort of poking w/screwdriver in the area of the new bolt holes, hitting surface. Yes the seatbelt buckle does sit on top of the bracket. I'll take a look again tomorrow. Much appreciate you stopping by and posting, you are a virtual Ram encyclopedia (for you younger folk, that's what we used to have all our knowledge in, now you call it Google) :)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't pulled up the carpet yet. But sort of poking w/screwdriver in the area of the new bolt holes, hitting surface. Yes the seatbelt buckle does sit on top of the bracket. I'll take a look again tomorrow. Much appreciate you stopping by and posting, you are a virtual Ram encyclopedia (for you younger folk, that's what we used to have all our knowledge in, now you call it Google) :)
They should be there, there’s probably sealed caps in the necessary holes because the bolt holes are straight through the floor, exposing the outside if there is no bolt in the hole.

Smilez

Reaction score
Once again, Jimmy07 is the man... pulled carpet back and yes indeed multiple mounting holes already drilled, just all capped/covered. Jimmy07 is there anything you don't know about these trucks?
I ordered some limited seats and they should be in tomorrow. My strikers haven't came in yet. Did you try and install your strikers yet? Looks like there's already holes for them also on firewall.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I ordered some limited seats and they should be in tomorrow. My strikers haven't came in yet. Did you try and install your strikers yet? Looks like there's already holes for them also on firewall.
I haven't received them yet, they were ordered late last week. I think there are holes as well. If you beat me to it, please share what your install was like :)

Users who are viewing this thread