5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

found a way to try and prevent catalytic converter theft

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I solved the catalytic issue when I bought my Rebel with the Diesel engine! It can’t be stolen if it does not exist.
Hmmm….I would have thought for sure that an ecodiesel would have a DPF.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys at Donut Media just tested this plus others:

Lol, I’m not sure if the system with the rats nest of steel cables is supposed to be some kind of joke, but I think I would just make sure I keep my insurance payments current, and worry about more pressing issues in life.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Toyota guys are running full skid plates to prevent theirs from being stolen. Heavy gauge material with security bolts. Theives don't like to be slowed down. If it's going to be a challenge they usually move on to the next truck.
This is definitely worth considering

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t you just cut the zip ties and take the cat strap down?
Supposedly it has heat activated adhesive that bonds it to the exhaust. But that's only if they have enough zip ties to hold it close enough for it to work

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Supposedly it has heat activated adhesive that bonds it to the exhaust. But that's only if they have enough zip ties to hold it close enough for it to work
I guess it wouldn’t hurt anything to install it, but the vid shows that it’s pretty easy to get through. Even the cables on other ones. My bolt cutter would make easy work of those.

HemiDude

Reaction score
someone could make a lot of money designing a way to prevent these thefts.
Like they say, if you want to know how to beat a criminal, ask one 😉. I'd like to hear someone who has stolen these for a living share what would have turned them away

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess it wouldn’t hurt anything to install it, but the vid shows that it’s pretty easy to get through. Even the cables on other ones. My bolt cutter would make easy work of those.
Bolt cutters struggle on braided/stranded cables. But there are cable cutters that would make short order of them.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Sure cable or bolt cutters might work. I would think that of some lowlife's worthless jobless a$$ has to steal CCs for money, he is armed with a ryobi Sawzall only. I would doubt he has many tools with him.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure cable or bolt cutters might work. I would think that of some lowlife's worthless jobless a$$ has to steal CCs for money, he is armed with a ryobi Sawzall only. I would doubt he has many tools with him.
I would think if they do this for a living they would have a $5 bolt cutter from harbor freight.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I would think if they do this for a living they would have a $5 bolt cutter from harbor freight.
Look at the ones on video. YouTube. They have a cordless Sawzall. Snatch and go.

I imagine if they run into something unusual they will roll to the next vehicle.

Best protection? Cholo lowering kit. Drop that baby to 3 inches off the pavement and they will move on.😉

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Look at the ones on video. YouTube. They have a cordless Sawzall. Snatch and go.

I imagine if they run into something unusual they will roll to the next vehicle.

Best protection? Cholo lowering kit. Drop that baby to 3 inches off the pavement and they will move on.😉
the videos I have seen they have a floor jack with them

HAL9001

Reaction score
We need state laws that every new catalytic converter has a very visible serial number on the bottom and cannot be legally sold or installed if that number is missing or altered. If yours get stolen, you can report the serial number and a cat with that number could not be legally sold or installed. Anyone intentionally selling or installing missing, altered, or stolen serial numbers gets booked. Stolen cat serial numbers could also be checked for during routine state vehicle inspections.

This is not perfect, but it would probably severely disrupt the black market for stolen cats and significantly reduce the huge problem that it is today.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We need state laws that every new catalytic converter has a very visible serial number on the bottom and cannot be legally sold or installed if that number is missing or altered. If yours get stolen, you can report the serial number and a cat with that number could not be legally sold or installed. Anyone intentionally selling or installing missing, altered, or stolen serial numbers gets booked. Stolen cat serial numbers could also be checked for during routine state vehicle inspections.

This is not perfect, but it would probably severely disrupt the black market for stolen cats and significantly reduce the huge problem that it is today.
If mine gets cut off I’m replacing it with a pipe.

Anyone deleted theirs and put one of these on the O2? I’ve done this one past trucks with no issues

691ED162-8A8C-408C-BB88-D3C0D9483DA9.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread