5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

staffcurtis

Reaction score
The complete trailer brake controller kit for the 2019 ram is the following part number:

82215278AD

It is out of stock everywhere, or on hold. It is roughly $250-$300 retail.

The individual parts broken down that you will need that are available now (for less):

68277136af trailer tow module $147.50
68309259ab switch instrument panel $55.62
68346572ab mopar bracket $3.05
6510468aa x3 nuts $1.24 each
6101946 x3 screw $1.24 each

All the prices above are higher than what you should pay. It is cheaper to order them separately than as a complete kit. I called another dealer and they gave me wholesale pricing which added up to almost $80 less. I ordered these myself, and will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

"UPDATE" Had the dealer install, and program the truck ECU for $170 Labor. Works like a charm! Would recommend ordering separately to save $100.

Last edited:

carwash2

Reaction score
I'm real close to buying a truck and just figured I would have the dealer add the brake being I can't find one with it already installed.

Cannonball

Reaction score
$112.36 for all parts listed (x4 screws and nuts just incase) on moparamerica.com

Will this require a dealer to mod the trucks software though? An hour of labor will negate all part cost savings :cautious:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Wow thanks for this, I would've just payed the 250 and not thought anything of it. Easy way to save $100!!

staffcurtis

Reaction score
The parts are easy to install yourself. That will cut your labor price down. The programming should be no longer than half an hour.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've already installed the sliding switch in the dash, just gotta buy the module and have it programmed now.

mjw930

Reaction score
That’s great info and I don’t mean to be an *** but is there a way to validate these numbers?

Or, has anyone installed them and had the truck programmed to confirm there aren’t any version miss matches?

Again, not trying to be a pain, just don’t want to get it all installed to find it can’t be programmed.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought my post went though earlier today.., Anyways great post to OP!! Thank you will be doing this down line.
As for @mjw930 yes it can be programmed and coded into truck as if it was factory install

Last edited:

mjw930

Reaction score
Received and interesting email from a vendor when trying to order these parts.

Parts ordered don't fit your vin, According to your vin number these part number that you have ordered are not a option for this truck through the vin. If these are something that you are adding to change the factory design we can't guarantee fitment and they are nonreturnable. Reply to the email how you wish to proceed.

I haven't reached out to them to discuss but it comes down to do you believe FCA's system or things you read on forums??????

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Received and interesting email from a vendor when trying to order these parts.

Parts ordered don't fit your vin, According to your vin number these part number that you have ordered are not a option for this truck through the vin. If these are something that you are adding to change the factory design we can't guarantee fitment and they are nonreturnable. Reply to the email how you wish to proceed.

I haven't reached out to them to discuss but it comes down to do you believe FCA's system or things you read on forums??????
They looked up your vin and saw that your truck didn’t come from the factory with the brake controller. So essentially they’re saying it’s not “plug and play” you’ll have to get the dealer to program it which is pretty well known.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info.

I'm going to do this now rather than wait until towing season.

One thing to note, you need to really watch the shipping prices when ordering on-line at the discount Mopar sites. First site I tried had great prices, but wanted $34 shipping (almost a third the cost of the parts!). I got mine from MoparSuperstore for $8 shipping.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Any instructions on installation? Where does the controller go?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Any instructions on installation? Where does the controller go?
The controller goes in the blank spot to the left of the toggle switches, and the module goes under the dash to the right side of the gas pedal.

mjw930

Reaction score
They looked up your vin and saw that your truck didn’t come from the factory with the brake controller. So essentially they’re saying it’s not “plug and play” you’ll have to get the dealer to program it which is pretty well known.
That's exactly what I figured was the case since these are component parts and not an accessory "kit". Just caught me by surprise since I've ordered a lot of component parts over the years and this is only the 2nd time an online vendor has actually responded this way. Parts on their way.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Anxious to see how this turns out. I am worried about my dealer giving me crap if I install everything myself since it's a lease, but oh well. I'll just take it to another Ram dealer and have it programmed.

Thanks for the part numbers OP. I about ordered an aftermarket controller to save $300.

staffcurtis

Reaction score
Just had the dealer install the parts (ordered separately). Charged me $170 installed and programmed. Works great! I will update the title to reflect its worth the savings.

RichInMN

Reaction score
If any of you who are adding this switch have saved the blank switch plate, I would love to have one or two spares - I want to drill in a toggle switch or two. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread