5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

Techguy2000

Reaction score
The + and - buttons light up with the dash lights, they are difficult to see in the daylight, but if you try in the dark, they should be lit.
Thank you, now I see what you mean, they are not near as bright as the parksense button lights for anyone that is curious. They do light up before getting the car flashed to anyone who is curious and finds this thread.

Also thanks for all the info in this thread, I got mine flashed this afternoon for $75 plus tax, all the other dealers wanted $125.

Last edited:

Magredvet

Reaction score
Thank you, now I see what you mean, they are not near as bright as the parksense button lights for anyone that is curious. They do light up before getting the car flashed to anyone who is curious and finds this thread.

Also thanks for all the info in this thread, I got mine flashed this afternoon for $75 plus tax, all the other dealers wanted $125.
Good to know...............I may have to drive up to Dallas to get mine flashed..........:rolleyes:
All the Dealers here in Houston must be in cahoots................. they all want upwards of $150 !

brotharon

Reaction score
Also in Houston and being quoted outrageous sums of money for trailer brake controllers. Probably going to wind up installing myself and paying the $150 for the flash though. Best quote I have gotten around here for a install at dealer is just north of $700. Unfortunately, driving to Dallas to save $75 on the software will cost $75 in gas...so not really a super viable option.
Yay Houston area Ram parts and service departments! :poop::poop:

brotharon

Reaction score
An alternative to the dealer flash is AlphaOBD.
Yeah, but I am reading that it is not actually compatible with the 2019 Ram and I need some kind of bypass to make it work. There just does not seem to be enough information out there regarding this for me. I wish there was...I would like to have the ability to add other mods/upgrades to my truck down the road if I choose without having to run to the dealer. I suppose I can just wait a bit, but I do have the parts on order for my brake controller, so I am not likely to wait too long for there to be more information about AlfaOBD.

saxapl

Reaction score
I'm real close to buying a truck and just figured I would have the dealer add the brake being I can't find one with it already installed.

My dealer installed free, parts and labor, when I bought the truck as I was not going to buy a truck without a trailer brake controller. I was going to order but had to buy off the lot to get the June discounts. Great dealer to work with as they threw in the parts and labor to get the sale.

brotharon

Reaction score
My dealer installed free, parts and labor, when I bought the truck as I was not going to buy a truck without a trailer brake controller. I was going to order but had to buy off the lot to get the June discounts. Great dealer to work with as they threw in the parts and labor to get the sale.
Yeah, I would be upset had I not gotten $23k off of MSRP on my truck...I actually ran KBB and I bought it new for under KBB trade in value with 10k miles. Soooooo, I suppose I can pay a few bucks for a trailer brake controller :D

Randytartt

Reaction score
Just a FYI. I had the dealer program mine in for free when I was there for warranty work. I used the simple method, I had to take time out of my day to get your error fixed, you can do this at no cost.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Just a FYI. I had the dealer program mine in for free when I was there for warranty work. I used the simple method, I had to take time out of my day to get your error fixed, you can do this at no cost.
Great alternative route right back at them. Hopefully others that need FCA errors fixed can get this done too.

downsjh

Reaction score
Yeah, but I am reading that it is not actually compatible with the 2019 Ram and I need some kind of bypass to make it work. There just does not seem to be enough information out there regarding this for me. I wish there was...I would like to have the ability to add other mods/upgrades to my truck down the road if I choose without having to run to the dealer. I suppose I can just wait a bit, but I do have the parts on order for my brake controller, so I am not likely to wait too long for there to be more information about AlfaOBD.

I purchased the Security Gateway bypass ($50) and the AlphaOBD software ($50). I was successful in adding the brake controller with this method. However, in general, AlphaOBD is not updated to 2019 RAM, therefore it has many settings that do not work\should not be used. However, I followed 2018 RAM instructions on my 2019, and it worked perfectly. I plug in my trailer, it detects the trailer, has the instrument panel display for the trailer brake, and the radio settings allow me to set the trailer name, type, etc. My dealer wanted $130 to program the trailer brake controller, so I saved $30 and I now have the AlphaOBD to use for future mods.

Who will be #2 to try it, so we can say with certainty it works on 2019 RAM for the trailer brake controller.

deanfx

Reaction score
Also in Houston and being quoted outrageous sums of money for trailer brake controllers. Probably going to wind up installing myself and paying the $150 for the flash though. Best quote I have gotten around here for a install at dealer is just north of $700. Unfortunately, driving to Dallas to save $75 on the software will cost $75 in gas...so not really a super viable option.
Yay Houston area Ram parts and service departments! :poop::poop:
I ran into the same thing in MS. Ordered the parts from GA at full retail, a little over $400 because they told me they are in demand parts and couldn't justify not selling at full retail. Then paying a full hour for install and flash. I never ran into these issues with other truck manufacturers. I feel like Mopar is greedy across the board.

Ickabod

Reaction score
...they told me they are in demand parts and couldn't justify not selling at full retail...
And you believed them?
There are plenty of places online that you can buy all the parts for a little over $100. Installation is pretty straight forward. All you need the dealer for is to get the sales code added.

brotharon

Reaction score
And you believed them?
There are plenty of places online that you can buy all the parts for a little over $100. Installation is pretty straight forward. All you need the dealer for is to get the sales code added.
Unless you have the 12" screen and then it is closer to $200 because the switch part is much more expensive.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Suggest you consider a Curt Spectrum brake controller instead of factory. Has a clean install, more adjustability, positive feedback on braking level, control looks good, works great. 1500 specific pigtail available, and there's a perfect mount on the left side of the forward center console.

Not cheap, but the ones that work (and dont hit your knee) arent cheap.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Suggest you consider a Curt Spectrum brake controller instead of factory. Has a clean install, more adjustability, positive feedback on braking level, control looks good, works great. 1500 specific pigtail available, and there's a perfect mount on the left side of the forward center console.

Not cheap, but the ones that work (and dont hit your knee) arent cheap.
Curious on what it does that the factory one cannot?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious on what it does that the factory one cannot?

Has adjustments for both output and sensitivity, and when you are on the brake pedal, the display shows the level of trailer braking being applied.
Good diagnostics, although not as good as the F-150's.
Nothing huge, just easy and works.

outdoorsmn660

Reaction score
Just a heads up for those with the 12" screen ordering part number 68309262AC. It is not the actual trailer brake controller sliding switch, it's the entire switch assembly WITHOUT the controller. Still trying to verify what the part number for the actual controller is. Will update post...

Edit: Looks like 68309259AC is the correct part number for just the switch module

2559586C-5E82-4663-B214-FCFB49CD204F.jpeg

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
And you believed them?
Not for a second. Back when I did this mod there were no parts available.

Raydar

Reaction score
Looks like the number has been superseded again. Latest I've seen is 82215278AE. Appears to interchange with AC and AD.
Just ordered one today. $189 for the whole kit.
Also ordered the factory splash shields/wheel well liners for $159.
So... big whoop... right?
Shipping is free. Most everyone else wanted $250 shipped, just for the splash shields.

Ordered from stevewhitemotors on ebay. We shall see.

Very curious about the Alpha OBD. I program my own GM PCMs, so this looks to be right up my alley. Just wish it was updated for the DT.

Jcalton

Reaction score
I need to order a bypass module and I plan on giving it a try

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread