5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fob Locked Inside

Jgwram

Reaction score
My recently purchased 2022 Big Horn allows me to lock the key fob inside. My friends's 2021 will not allow the fob to be locked inside. That is what I want. How do I program the vehicle to NOT allow the key to be accidently locked inside?

Derlant1983

Reaction score
Does your truck lock by pushing the button on the door handle and unlock by grabbing the door handle. Without that key sensing system i don’t think the truck can tell where the key is.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My recently purchased 2022 Big Horn allows me to lock the key fob inside. My friends's 2021 will not allow the fob to be locked inside. That is what I want. How do I program the vehicle to NOT allow the key to be accidently locked inside?
I could be wrong but I think all the trucks have that functionality. If it’s not working on your truck I’d take it to the dealer to have it looked at.
Does your truck lock by pushing the button on the door handle and unlock by grabbing the door handle. Without that key sensing system i don’t think the truck can tell where the key is.
My 2020 big horn has that functionality and it does not have keyless entry so that shouldn’t matter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you manually push the lock down, I don't think it matters, like it a pet or child is inside the cab. It should prevent you from using the switches to lock doors though.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is yours a 5th gen 1500, or a 4th gen classic?
All 5th gen 1500’s (unless it’s a tradesman with manual door locks) will not allow the fob to be locked in the truck. If the fob is inside the truck, and you lock the doors with the door lock switch, they will lock, but as soon as you close the door the horn will honk three times and the doors will automatically unlock.

If you push down the door lock knobs manually on all the doors, then the fob will be locked in.

If you try to lock the fob in the truck by using the door lock switch three times in a row, the doors will stay locked on the third attempt.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, my 21 won't let the door lock with the fob inside. I assume the sensor in the seat needs pressure on it so it knows you are in the truck.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
No, there are 4 antennas. Two that sense when the fob is inside the truck, and two that sense when it is outside the truck.
Then how does it let the door lock when you are in the truck with the fob but not when the fob is in the truck and you are not?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then how does it let the door lock when you are in the truck with the fob but not when the fob is in the truck and you are not?
Get in the truck and close the door.
Remain in the seat with the fob inside the truck.
Open the driver door.
Remain in the driver seat.
Press the lock button on the master door switch.
Remain in the driver seat.
Shut the driver door.
Report back the behavior you experience.

6of36

Reaction score
Are you just opening the door, tossing in the key, and locking, or are you driving, getting out , but leaving the fob inside, and locking? It makes a difference.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Not true. My 2020 wouldn't let me lock it with the key in even before I installed the passive entry.

fast ed

Reaction score
Not true. My 2020 wouldn't let me lock it with the key in even before I installed the passive entry.
if you leave the key fob in the vehicle, you can lock doors with second key fob. My 22 longhorn works like that.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you leave the key fob in the vehicle, you can lock doors with second key fob. My 22 longhorn works like that.
how is that possible? I have at times unknowingly had 2 fobs in the vehicle. Get out and lock - truck will beep and not lock because there is still a fob in the truck. Jeep Cherokee does the same thing.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how is that possible? I have at times unknowingly had 2 fobs in the vehicle. Get out and lock - truck will beep and not lock because there is still a fob in the truck. Jeep Cherokee does the same thing.
One fob inside the vehicle, and one outside the vehicle. As long as the antennas sense a valid fob outside the cabin, it’ll allow the doors to remain locked.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One fob inside the vehicle, and one outside the vehicle. As long as the antennas sense a valid fob outside the cabin, it’ll allow the doors to remain locked.
Yes it has happened to me. I left my fob in my jacket in the backseat. My wife had hers on her. The truck allowed me to lock the doors via the lock button on the door handle. I didn't notice until the next morning.

fast ed

Reaction score
Yes it has happened to me. I left my fob in my jacket in the backseat. My wife had hers on her. The truck allowed me to lock the doors via the lock button on the door handle. I didn't notice until the next morning.
like I originally said as long as there is a key fob outside you can still lock with the first fob inside

Users who are viewing this thread