5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluid Under Brake Pedal

Jwhitty27

Reaction score
Hi All,

Went out to my truck and noticed fluid, (presumably brake fluid) underneath the brake pedal. I crawled under the dash and noticed the brake pedal arm was lightly coated in oil/fluid and also some of the metal dash supports had rust on them. The shaft that goes into a seal and through the firewall to the booster/master cylinder was dry and had no signs of fluid pushing through the seal.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Only thing I can find online is it could be a bad booster, but I can't find any entry point of the fluid from the engine bay.

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 17k miles

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
first thing to do is check your brake fluid res. and determine if you are in fact losing brake fluid. Did you notice any difference in brake pedal feel? If you suddenly had a loss of pressure from your brake system, you would know.

Jwhitty27

Reaction score
first thing to do is check your brake fluid res. and determine if you are in fact losing brake fluid. Did you notice any difference in brake pedal feel? If you suddenly had a loss of pressure from your brake system, you would know.
Brake fluid reservoir was up to the max line, maybe a hair under, so no noticeable loss there. Drove about 300 miles this weekend and didn't notice any difference in pedal feel. Was also pulling a trailer and braking performance felt normal.

Jwhitty27

Reaction score
I should add that I noticed this after being parked on an incline on two separate occasions. After the first time (40min) i cleaned the floor mat off and a little later parked on an incline again (20 min) and noticed a slightly smaller pool of fluid.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, well if the fluid level is at max, and brake pedal feels normal, it's probably something else not related to brake system. Keep an eye on the res for the next 3-5 trips, after each trip, do a visual on the level. If it stays the same then you are not leaking brake fluid obviously and will have to see what if anything changes in the way the truck performs.

Users who are viewing this thread