5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLOWMASTER OUTLAW OR FLOWFX MUFFLER???

YoutubeRealTimeReviews

Reaction score
Ready to pull the trigger on either the flowmaster flow fx or outlaw DIRECT FIT MUFFLER (NOT CAT OR AXLE BACK) for my 5th gen....im worried that the outlaw may be too loud or drone? Whis got either and whag are your suggestions

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Ready to pull the trigger on either the flowmaster flow fx or outlaw DIRECT FIT MUFFLER (NOT CAT OR AXLE BACK) for my 5th gen....im worried that the outlaw may be too loud or drone? Whis got either and whag are your suggestions

I have the fx and I love it! Not to loud but not to quite either. Install was easy although I did have to cut the stock exhaust to get it out. Overall really happy with my purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoutubeRealTimeReviews

Reaction score
I have the fx and I love it! Not to loud but not to quite either. Install was easy although I did have to cut the stock exhaust to get it out. Overall really happy with my purchase

Do you have any videos? The ones on YouTube are tough to tell.

What made you decide on the fx vs the outlaw?

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Do you have any videos? The ones on YouTube are tough to tell.

What made you decide on the fx vs the outlaw?

I don’t have videos of the install. I looked into the outlaw but the reviews were mixed some said the outlaw was not loud enough other said the it was to loud. The fx was the only one that good consistent reviews.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had the direct fit FlowFX installed for a few days and it was nice, but too subtle for me, so it's sitting in the shed and I went with the Solo Performance muffler delete. It's almost perfect for what I want, but there's a little bit of drone around the 1500/1600 rpm range... which is probably why I've been eyeballing the Borla S-Type catback lately. 🤪

JHODGES

Reaction score
I just had my outlaw muffler installed today at Rainbow mufflers. I left the resonators on, it's not to loud it sounds perfect on a 2021 Ram 1500 with etorque.

JHODGES

Reaction score
I added a outlaw muffler today part number 817846 like I said it's awesome

Raydar

Reaction score
I've had the FlowFX on mine for several years. I really like it. It's subdued enough that it sounds like it could have been installed at the factory. But it's loud enough that it reminds me of the big block Road Runners I used to hear around, when I was younger.
I don't find there to be any excessive drone. You can tell when MDS kicks in (dash light notwithstanding) but it's not obnoxious.

Last edited:

610SRTGang

Reaction score
I did the outlaw on my etorque Crew 6'4" bed. Somehow sounds a touch lower and not any crackling compared to my buddies with the 5'7" bed. Not sure if the 9 inch longer pipe made a difference.

I love it.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve been debating this as well for my new truck on order. I currently have an American Thunder on my 2017 and love it. Sound is perfect but Flowmaster doesn’t offer that for the 5th Gen.

Anybody know how either the Outlaw or Flow FX compare to that muffler?

RLee276

Reaction score
I have the outlaw direct fit on my 2020 1500 big horn 5.7.
I’m on the fence beteen getting something a bit more quiet. It’s definitely a neighbor waker on cold starts. But it’s not terribly loud after the engine warms.
it does have drone as to be expected. It’s basically a straight pipe that you can see through.
on highways it’s not bad but if you are hammering 75-80 mph with the radio down and windows down it will become annoying.
on the other hand, it sounds awesome when you step on it!
the sound of the cold starts it’s my only issue. Because I’m in a heavily populated area. Other than that I’m happy.

RLee276

Reaction score
If I had it to do over again, I would have just had a muffler shop delete the muffler for about 100 bucks. In my opening that’s about the same as an outlaw DF.

Users who are viewing this thread