5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol ok I won’t say “ stock “ but what I have now rhymes with stock. :)

dakmary

Reaction score
To those who installed b2 muffler (MF 14”), how do you compare it to Borla cat back in terms of loudness? Is it closer to Touring or S type or in between? I’m only referring to the loudness, not the depth of sound.

Still can’t decide between MF 14” or 18”

dakmary

Reaction score
Like the Touring

Thanks. Even though I’m leaning toward 18”, I think I’ll get the b2 MF 14” for ease of installation.

For 18” I’ll have to either go with welding and cutting, or get the Mufflex DOD18M which I haven’t seen many ppl using.

Firebird

Reaction score
Thanks. Even though I’m leaning toward 18”, I think I’ll get the b2 MF 14” for ease of installation.

For 18” I’ll have to either go with welding and cutting, or get the Mufflex DOD18M which I haven’t seen many ppl using.
I have the Mufflex DOD18 and no welding required, straight bolt in.

dakmary

Reaction score
I have the Mufflex DOD18 and no welding required, straight bolt in.

Nice! How do you find it? How does it compare to other mufflers?

I heard Mufflex uses MF muffler, but looking at their photos, it looks nothing like MF mufflers (Compared to B2 or MF website)

What am I missing?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

I heard Mufflex uses MF muffler, but looking at their photos, it looks nothing like MF mufflers (Compared to B2 or MF website)

What am I missing?
If it doesn’t say Magnaflow then it’s not a MF.

Firebird

Reaction score

What am I missing?
Very pleased, it's like second time I've bought from them. I would not want it any louder, it's perfect for me

dakmary

Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger and replaced my muffler. I installed Magna Flow 18" and I LOVE it. I think it's the best option for those who want to upgrade their muffler without sacrificing comfort. Very deep controlled rumble. You can hear the muffler/engine inside the cabin, but not loud at all. I'm happy I didn't go with the 14" as it would have been too loud for my liking. This car is my daily driver. I got the Ram Limited for luxury and comfort, and the last thing I want is excessive noise.

I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage fellow members when sharing their experiences and opinions to be clear about what they base their experiences on, because many members here are new and don't know some "obvious" things (like my self). For example I've read some comments saying "Borla S is not loud!". This comment is correct when we compare the Borla S to a straight pipe, but it's incorrect when we compare it to the stock muffler. Same goes when talking about tires. I've read that BFG and Nitto Ridge Grappleres are whisper quite! Well, sure when compared to a mud tire!! You got the idea.

Now let me go and enjoy my truck!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

cbecra1

Reaction score
I just installed the Magnaflow direct fit muffler and am very surprised at how loud it is even under mild to moderate acceleration....didn't expect it based on the videos and forum info. I do love the fact that at highway cruising speed it sounds just about stock w/ no drone. Overall pretty happy with it!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger and replaced my muffler. I installed Magna Flow 18" and I LOVE it. I think it's the best option for those who want to upgrade their muffler without sacrificing comfort. Very deep controlled rumble. You can hear the muffler/engine inside the cabin, but not loud at all. I'm happy I didn't go with the 14" as it would have been too loud for my liking. This car is my daily driver. I got the Ram Limited for luxury and comfort, and the last thing I want is excessive noise.

The 14" is not loud at all which is why I bought it. Did you hear a 14" in person or just making an assumption? In the end, if you are happy with your 18" that's all that matters :)

Raydar

Reaction score
The flow master is not loud at all, just a nice rumble. I also kept the resonators installed. The wife didn't notice anything was different

My wife had much the same response.
I find that the Flow FX sounds much like stock, only more-so.
It rumbles at low RPM and low speed, but it's not obtrusive. It "talks" when you hammer it, but it's not obnoxious. Not by a long shot.
My main requirements were no drone, and not so loud that I can't sneak past without waking my neighbors at 6 AM. I think it passes on both counts.
I should add that I just bought the basic Flow FX muffler and had it installed. Cost ~$180, out the door. Took less than a half hour.
Beats the hell out of $310, plus "getting" to do it myself.
One thing that I'll add is that it's much easier to tell when MDS kicks in or out. Doesn't sound bad. Just sounds... different. Actually sounds / feels like a shift.

dakmary

Reaction score
The 14" is not loud at all which is why I bought it. Did you hear a 14" in person or just making an assumption? In the end, if you are happy with your 18" that's all that matters :)

I haven’t heard the 14”, but it should be louder than the 18”. I think the 18” is very close to my tolerance threshold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My wife had much the same response.
I find that the Flow FX sounds much like stock, only more-so.
It rumbles at low RPM and low speed, but it's not obtrusive. It "talks" when you hammer it, but it's not obnoxious. Not by a long shot.
My main requirements were no drone, and not so loud that I can't sneak past without waking my neighbors at 6 AM. I think it passes on both counts.

One thing that I'll add is that it's much easier to tell when MDS kicks in or out. Doesn't sound bad. Just sounds... different. Actually sounds / feels like a shift.
Exactly the same results with the Magnaflow muffler I installed. You can either buy the Magnaflow and have it installed or buy the B2 and do it yourself...beautiful thing to have options :)

Sv250

Reaction score
I just had the MF 12589 22inch installed today. Just the muffler was replaced. It sounds stock in the cab. Barley deeper between 15 and 2000 rpm. If I didn't tell my wife she wouldn't have known.

I was thinking I wasted $275. Standing outside behind the truck is where it's most noticeable. no louder than stock but deeper. Sounds mean.

The disappointing part is it sounds stock inside when you punch it. I was hoping for some bark at top rpm range. I do still have all 3 resonators

The exhaust shop owner told me that the resonators eliminate drone only. He said that removing them would not give any more sound, just drone.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just had the MF 12589 22inch installed today. Just the muffler was replaced. It sounds stock in the cab. Barley deeper between 15 and 2000 rpm. If I didn't tell my wife she wouldn't have known.

I was thinking I wasted $275. Standing outside behind the truck is where it's most noticeable. no louder than stock but deeper. Sounds mean.

The disappointing part is it sounds stock inside when you punch it. I was hoping for some bark at top rpm range. I do still have all 3 resonators

The exhaust shop owner told me that the resonators eliminate drone only. He said that removing them would not give any more sound, just drone.

yeah unfortunately I think you would have liked something like the b2 fab magnaflow much better. B2 fab takes the 14” Maganaflow and turns it into a “bolt-on” for our trucks. You can also just buy the 14” and have a shop weld it on. You might consider going back to your shop and asking them if they can cut you some kind of deal by swapping it for the 14”. If not maybe they can do the swap and then you try to resell the 22” either here or on Craigslist. These newer trucks have their exhausts more deadened so you have to go a bit more aggressive in these trucks to get the same sound you would have gotten in an older truck (with a larger muffler). Go listen to some clips in the b2 fab thread.

dano257

Reaction score
yeah unfortunately I think you would have liked something like the b2 fab magnaflow much better. B2 fab takes the 14” Maganaflow and turns it into a “bolt-on” for our trucks. You can also just buy the 14” and have a shop weld it on. You might consider going back to your shop and asking them if they can cut you some kind of deal by swapping it for the 14”. If not maybe they can do the swap and then you try to resell the 22” either here or on Craigslist. These newer trucks have their exhausts more deadened so you have to go a bit more aggressive in these trucks to get the same sound you would have gotten in an older truck (with a larger muffler). Go listen to some clips in the b2 fab thread.
Do you happen to know the Magnaflow part number for the 14" muffler B2 uses? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread