5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have to disagree, yes the magnaflow has a deep sound it is also not as aggressive nor does it stand out to the borla. Again this is all IMO. But I heard several magnaflow set ups and compared to the SType borla it stood no ground.

BUT the ATaK is super raspy at high RPM. I swapped mine for the SType.

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats what i run in my"Atak".but thats me!

JeffK2019

Reaction score
To follow up my other post - I was torn between the Magnaflow and the Borla S Type and ended up going with the Borla S Type. I do a lot of highway driving and was worried about it being too loud but took a chance.

I have had it on for 2 days now, including a 200+ mile highway trip yesterday. The Borla S Type is amazing and EXACTLY what I was after. Plenty of pop and growl when you get on it, almost nothing at highway speeds. No drone in ECO mode. And I really enjoy hearing the exhaust sound change with shifting, particularly downshifts. Around town it gets plenty of notice.

Today on the way to get coffee locally and hit up our local farmers market - wife says "let me grab a sweater so we can drive with the windows down" - she loves the sound also!

j517

Reaction score
To follow up my other post - I was torn between the Magnaflow and the Borla S Type and ended up going with the Borla S Type. I do a lot of highway driving and was worried about it being too loud but took a chance.

I have had it on for 2 days now, including a 200+ mile highway trip yesterday. The Borla S Type is amazing and EXACTLY what I was after. Plenty of pop and growl when you get on it, almost nothing at highway speeds. No drone in ECO mode. And I really enjoy hearing the exhaust sound change with shifting, particularly downshifts. Around town it gets plenty of notice.

Today on the way to get coffee locally and hit up our local farmers market - wife says "let me grab a sweater so we can drive with the windows down" - she loves the sound also!
I don't know if it's my ears or not but it sounds deeper with the pedal commander

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

MrMopar

Reaction score
I know that there are separate threads on several cat-back and muffler options but I was hoping to create a single thread where folks can share their thoughts. I also understand that "sound" will be heard and perceived differently by everyone of us so what may sound good to one may not be loud enough or too loud to another.

If you have thoughts on the topic please post as it may help those of us that are interested to select the best option. The Flowmaster muffler only mod appears to be the simplest and cheapest option and then the two cat-back options are over 3X the cost and I am unclear as to the benefit of the extra expense and the additional work to install.

Thank you all, in advance, for sharing your thoughts on the topic!
Go "Old School"
Glasspacks...my .02

SColang22

Reaction score
I don't know if it's my ears or not but it sounds deeper with the pedal commander

It’s your ears lol. Pedal commander won’t change your exhaust note

j517

Reaction score
Not so much the tone but when u accelerate it seem to be louder then when I have the PC off, either way I love the borla cat back.

None of the you tube vids do justice. In the morning or when ever you start it is petty loud then about after 5 min of running quiets down.

1 major issue is this since it sounds so dam nice you will keep on pushing on the gas pedal making your gas gauge go down down down.

Gots to pay to play...

Evoking1230

Reaction score
I live down in Lodi and havent seen any new rams with exhaust yet. I had a flowmaster super 40 on my 15 and it sounded great. Always got complimented by other truck guys. If I end up getting a catback I'll drive up to Sac to the same place you had yours done.

So for the super 40, it’s a direct bolt on or welding required? I want to go this route for now as was just wondering. Might have it installed by a shop either way.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does that too - but agree definitely would not go back to stock. I am going to put on the full catback exhaust this weekend and sell my Magnaflow 24" Muffler though to someone else who can use it.
W13NY, can you tell us more about your experience with the Mufflex Magnaflow 24” muffler? I’d like to get your full review, what you like and don’t like, sound level...

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
W13NY, can you tell us more about your experience with the Mufflex Magnaflow 24” muffler? I’d like to get your full review, what you like and don’t like, sound level...
It was definitely louder than stock at cold start, idle, revs, and throttle but still not loud enough for what I was looking for. Definitely great option if your trying to save some money by not getting a full catback. Compared to the Magnaflow Catback I'd say the Mufflex Magnaflow 24" was half as loud. I have a video posted on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for you to hear if youd like: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/fs-mufflex-magnaflow-24-muffler.9032/

I am also supposed to take a video the same way for the Magnaflow Catback sometime this week since I just got my truck back from the dealership for someone who inquired on that thread.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was definitely louder than stock at cold start, idle, revs, and throttle but still not loud enough for what I was looking for. Definitely great option if your trying to save some money by not getting a full catback. Compared to the Magnaflow Catback I'd say the Mufflex Magnaflow 24" was half as loud. I have a video posted on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for you to hear if youd like: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/fs-mufflex-magnaflow-24-muffler.9032/

I am also supposed to take a video the same way for the Magnaflow Catback sometime this week since I just got my truck back from the dealership for someone who inquired on that thread.
Any impressions on sound when MDS kicks in or out? Both for the Mufflex 24 and for the Magnaflow catback.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any impressions on sound when MDS kicks in or out? Both for the Mufflex 24 and for the Magnaflow catback.
Yeah both get slightly lower in sound not much you can do about it unless you turn MDS off which I read can be done I just dont know how nor do I wanna do that cause my MPG is already bad living in NY lol

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
you turn MDS off which I read can be done I just dont know how nor do I wanna do that cause my MPG is already bad living in NY lol

Just use the manual gear selector limit switch on your steering wheel and it will never kick into MCDS. I just set mine for +8 and call it a day. You're not saving enough fuel for it to make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread