5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know that there are separate threads on several cat-back and muffler options but I was hoping to create a single thread where folks can share their thoughts. I also understand that "sound" will be heard and perceived differently by everyone of us so what may sound good to one may not be loud enough or too loud to another.

If you have thoughts on the topic please post as it may help those of us that are interested to select the best option. The Flowmaster muffler only mod appears to be the simplest and cheapest option and then the two cat-back options are over 3X the cost and I am unclear as to the benefit of the extra expense and the additional work to install.

Thank you all, in advance, for sharing your thoughts on the topic!

NordicNevs

Reaction score
You have a number of options when it comes to exhaust.

1) sound
2) price
3) performance
4) quality

Low cost will still get you “sound” but you won’t have quality and performance

There are middle of the road options out there that will be the best of both worlds

Then you have the Borla types. High cost, actual tuned sounds based on performance and built with quality materials

You get what you pay for but some folks will have different reasons and acceptable outcomes for what they choose.

I did the Borla S type and it was certainly expensive. But I can honestly say, the weight savings, material, engineering and design with execution gave me exactly what I was looking for. The same can be said for the touring and Atak.

I have had flow master exhaust before and never had anything but smiles with it and it was cheaper to some degree. But, as the enthusiast in me translates to my vehicles, more and more those same attributes that I love about automotive begin to apply to how and what parts I choose. To me the additional cost KNOWING I have quality was just as good as the weight savings, sound and style that came with installing the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramlax

Reaction score
I had the flow master for 4 days, to me the sound was great but it was just to loud all the time, I gave it to one of my customers and got the borla touring. The sound and craftsmanship is unmatched. It was such a cleaner and more crisp sound, yes triple the price but in my opinion worth every dollar.

Last edited:

Dredram

Reaction score
I wonder what sounds better the flowmaster fx or a 14" magnaflow? Im looking to do the bolt in

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One, please guys be specific on what you have. Bolt on muffler only or whole system cat back. Thank you

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder what sounds better the flowmaster fx or a 14" magnaflow? Im looking to do the bolt in
I’ve talked to guys at b2 fab. Looking for vids on their products. Said their bolt on Magnaflow muffler replacement( muffler only) sounds just like flowmaster fx in vid link they sent me.
:unsure: So does that mean the FX is really a Magnaflow...... whaaaaaat. Lol, I’m sure it’s just the same straight through design. From pics the FX seems slightly longer body.

Edit: truth be said I would say the FX or any other 14” Magnaflow bolt on muffler only is going to sound the same or super close

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll probably get the b2 fab bolt on Magnaflow muffler only replacement. if and when the time comes. The price you can’t beat compared to others, 3” all stainless steel. Dad and son run & owned. Efficient, with resonators should be no drone and not loud with normal driving.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The B2 fab is a fine unit. I’ve had mine for several months now, could not be happier with it. It is very price competitive, install is easy, cost me $40, and the sound is not over the top.

IMO, Those paying for the cat back system, are tossing a perfectly good factory cat back in the trash. The seasoned, experienced guy, that installed my B2, was impressed with the factory exhaust piping.

Everyone has their reasons for modding, if that includes cat back money, so be it. Did not fit my budget.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ thank you. Even as young as the trucks are lots of options, even cut and weld a muffler on.
This can help with the thread be clean and clear on what is what when you post with thoughts and or vids(y).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now you guys have me looking at the B2 solution. Just not sure what the exhaust sounds like between the MF and the Pypes and if the Pypes will be too loud???

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the magnaflow 14" muffler put on cost about $150 out the door.
Sound is moderate
I believe you’ve said in other threads for this one. If I’m not mistaken it’s a weld on. Is it the chambered or straight through design? As they make both in 14” size. Thanks man

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now you guys have me looking at the B2 solution. Just not sure what the exhaust sounds like between the MF and the Pypes and if the Pypes will be too loud???
If you look up the outlaw one from flowmaster, it should be around the same. It’s going to be more aggressive for sure. There are diff vids on it

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks @Nails! Hard to tell what the sound will truly be from a video but I just listened to the Outlaw and like it a lot. Never heard of Pypes...any comments on them from anyone? Looking for a deep, throaty sound with ZERO drone and not a lot of in-cabin noise while cruising.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ make sure you watch the videos with headphones or buds. And listen to all different ones. Will clean up the noise

Users who are viewing this thread