5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First visit to the CAT scales

tjbarney

Reaction score
We are fully loaded with the travel trailer and we’re able to make it to a cat scale today. Only did one weight though with WDH engaged. With these numbers, it appears we are over our GVWR by 160lbs 😞.

Steer Axle: 3440
Drive Axle: 3820
Trailer Axle: 5820

Gross Weight: 13080

Truck door weights say:
GVWR: 7100
GAWR Front: 3900
GAWR Rear: 4100

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are fully loaded with the travel trailer and we’re able to make it to a cat scale today. Only did one weight though with WDH engaged. With these numbers, it appears we are over our GVWR by 160lbs 😞.

Truck door weights say:
Looks perfect. Maybe with a trip and doing the 3 weighs you can tweak the WDH and fix you 160lb problem.

I would not be afraid to travel like that...as you use fuel it will make the 160lbs less as well, assuming you did the weigh with a full tank of gas.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I almost always see overlooked by both those new to trailering and those giving advice.

The use of a WDH not only transfers weight to the front (steer) axle of your truck, it also puts weight back onto the trailer axles.

This needs to be understood when you're setting up and doing scales so you know why/where those numbers are affected.

You're inserting a big lever at the ball that pushes down on both ends (truck front/trailer axle).

Best video you can watch to understand what's going on is right here:

I normally post this up when there's a debate air bags vs WDH, but the info is appropriate for this thread.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Truck door weights say:

These are the latest numbers with our WDH. Literally the heaviest it will be.

Steer Axle: 3520
Drive Axle: 3860
Trailer Axle: 6720

We're 280 lbs over, but I'm not worried about it as we're generally traveling much lighter and I still have some work to do balancing everything after stopping by our storage unit. We're also full timers, so the truck sees a lot of miles with the camper behind it.

I'd bet you can get some cargo moved around and your hitch adjusted to get all or most of that weight back.

tjbarney

Reaction score
Looks perfect. Maybe with a trip and doing the 3 weighs you can tweak the WDH and fix you 160lb problem.

I would not be afraid to travel like that...as you use fuel it will make the 160lbs less as well, assuming you did the weigh with a full tank of gas.
Thank you. It is towing very well and the measurements of the wheel wells and trailer level are good when we adjusted the WDH.

I’ll have to figure out how to do some adjustments to it to make it more even. It has 5 washers in the Fastaway E2 hitch. Dealership didn’t give me any extra washers either.

Oh, tank was full as well. We upgraded to the 33 gal from the 26 gal. Between that and the 100lb Generator in the back that would be my weight overage. In the bed I have one 40lb folding ebike, 19lb folding kayak, and two sets of golf clubs. In the back seat floor board the other bike and kayak. This is as full as we will ever be as we are full timing it for 3 months.

I had roughly 100 ish pounds of fresh water in the tank on the tt as well. Normally wouldn’t, but wanted some to test the weight.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. It is towing very well and the measurements of the wheel wells and trailer level are good when we adjusted the WDH.

I’ll have to figure out how to do some adjustments to it to make it more even. It has 5 washers in the Fastaway E2 hitch. Dealership didn’t give me any extra washers either.

Oh, tank was full as well. We upgraded to the 33 gal from the 26 gal. Between that and the 100lb Generator in the back that would be my weight overage. In the bed I have one 40lb folding ebike, 19lb folding kayak, and two sets of golf clubs. In the back seat floor board the other bike and kayak. This is as full as we will ever be as we are full timing it for 3 months.

I had roughly 100 ish pounds of fresh water in the tank on the tt as well. Normally wouldn’t, but wanted some to test the weight.

What were your measurements?

This is my last measurement I took when I was also able to weigh it. Weight restored was calculated at 64.71%, so pretty close. If you're getting your front measurements with the WDH close to what they are unloaded and it's towing well, I'd be happy with that.

Screenshot_20230206_191511_Sheets.jpg

Screenshot_20230206_192255_Sheets.jpg

tjbarney

Reaction score
What were your measurements?

This is my last measurement I took when I was also able to weigh it. Weight restored was calculated at 64.71%, so pretty close. If you're getting your front measurements with the WDH close to what they are unloaded and it's towing well, I'd be happy with that.

View attachment 150972

View attachment 150974
Front height of wheel well with the WDH is right at what it is unloaded, or extremely close to it, like within a 1/16 or 1/8”.

Users who are viewing this thread