5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First impressions - a basic Lone Star

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Thought I'd post my first impressions of my new Lone Star that I've had for a couple of weeks. Replacing a 98 Ram, will primarily be for towing a light 5th wheel (5,000 pounds) extensively and ordered outfitted for that purpose - quad cab, level one equipment, tow mirrors / brake controller, 33 gallon fuel tank, and parking sensors. I went with the non-etorque Hemi and 3.21 since the majority of driving will be highway, and the 3.21 should do fine with a relatively lightweight trailer. I know from experience that the wider tow mirrors are very useful pulling a camper - had crappy aftermarket clip-ons on my old rig - so I definitely wanted the tow mirrors and don't mind that they are not power fold, on long camping trips that won't be a big issue.

Ordered the truck on May 31 and got it on July 18. So far everything works perfectly, no issues at all. Still only a few hundred miles on it, got 18.4 mpg on a Sunday drive last week, not bad while it's still in break-in. Coming from an old truck, the Lone Star is pretty luxurious for me - I didn't really want all the bells and whistles on the higher trims, and don't have the budget for that anyway. I was originally all set to order a 2018 - since it would be a basic truck I figured I'd stick with the tried and true, but when I went in to order they had just cut off ordering any more 2018's. After reading up on the 2019's I was pleased with some of the improvements that would benefit me towing a camper - the higher payload, bigger brakes, and new progressive coil springs. But I was also a little put off by all the electronics - and concerned that they would be that many more things to go wrong a few years down the road.

I was immediately blown away by how quiet, smooth and comfortable the truck drives and rides. Between the ultra quiet ride and how smooth the transmission shifts it almost feels like an electric vehicle....at least, until you put the window down and listen to the rumble of the Hemi ;o) I have to admit that some of the features that I was most concerned about like the rotary shifter and electronic parking brake won me over almost immediately and I really like them - the automatic parking brake is especially handy. Again, coming from a very old truck the 8.4" Uconnect radio is pretty wonderful, and the steering wheel audio controls are terrific. On long trips in the hinterlands I think SiriusXM will be great, and it sure is nice to have our whole CD collection on a thumb drive....not sure why they even bother to put a CD player in there any more. The fit and finish on the interior is first rate, every control seems well thought out and the knobs have a solid, quality feel.

Overall I'd have to say that I couldn't be happier. Well, they could have kept the old front end look and I'd be happier....but even that has grown on me since I otherwise like everything else about the truck. Fingers crossed I don't have any of the issues that I see others reporting, but so far at least on this truck they got everything right. Rambo 02.jpg

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect truck for your needs. Glad to hear you're happy with it as well, it's always nice hearing owners stories. (y)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd post my first impressions of my new Lone Star that I've had for a couple of weeks. Replacing a 98 Ram, will primarily be for towing a light 5th wheel (5,000 pounds) extensively and ordered outfitted for that purpose - quad cab, level one equipment, tow mirrors / brake controller, 33 gallon fuel tank, and parking sensors. I went with the non-etorque Hemi and 3.21 since the majority of driving will be highway, and the 3.21 should do fine with a relatively lightweight trailer. I know from experience that the wider tow mirrors are very useful pulling a camper - had crappy aftermarket clip-ons on my old rig - so I definitely wanted the tow mirrors and don't mind that they are not power fold, on long camping trips that won't be a big issue.

Ordered the truck on May 31 and got it on July 18. So far everything works perfectly, no issues at all. Still only a few hundred miles on it, got 18.4 mpg on a Sunday drive last week, not bad while it's still in break-in. Coming from an old truck, the Lone Star is pretty luxurious for me - I didn't really want all the bells and whistles on the higher trims, and don't have the budget for that anyway. I was originally all set to order a 2018 - since it would be a basic truck I figured I'd stick with the tried and true, but when I went in to order they had just cut off ordering any more 2018's. After reading up on the 2019's I was pleased with some of the improvements that would benefit me towing a camper - the higher payload, bigger brakes, and new progressive coil springs. But I was also a little put off by all the electronics - and concerned that they would be that many more things to go wrong a few years down the road.

I was immediately blown away by how quiet, smooth and comfortable the truck drives and rides. Between the ultra quiet ride and how smooth the transmission shifts it almost feels like an electric vehicle....at least, until you put the window down and listen to the rumble of the Hemi ;o) I have to admit that some of the features that I was most concerned about like the rotary shifter and electronic parking brake won me over almost immediately and I really like them - the automatic parking brake is especially handy. Again, coming from a very old truck the 8.4" Uconnect radio is pretty wonderful, and the steering wheel audio controls are terrific. On long trips in the hinterlands I think SiriusXM will be great, and it sure is nice to have our whole CD collection on a thumb drive....not sure why they even bother to put a CD player in there any more. The fit and finish on the interior is first rate, every control seems well thought out and the knobs have a solid, quality feel.

Overall I'd have to say that I couldn't be happier. Well, they could have kept the old front end look and I'd be happier....but even that has grown on me since I otherwise like everything else about the truck. Fingers crossed I don't have any of the issues that I see others reporting, but so far at least on this truck they got everything right. View attachment 1972
Can't wait to hear about you towing your camper...welcome to the site. Thanks for joining and good luck with the Ram

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! Definitely post some pictures of your truck in action. Agree, the ride just makes the truck a tremendous place to be.

Neocane

Reaction score
Always pleased to hear positive reviews from real owners! Reinforces my will to stick it out and wait for the truck I ordered.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Please do a write-up covering your 5th wheel installation. You going with an under-mount gooseneck flip-over ball or bolt on the top of the bed floor 5th wheel?

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Please do a write-up covering your 5th wheel installation. You going with an under-mount gooseneck flip-over ball or bolt on the top of the bed floor 5th wheel?

I'll be doing a rail mounted hitch in the bed. And just discovered that no one has brackets out yet to install the rails in a 2019, will have to wait a month or two....not longer, I hope. We're picking up a new 5th wheel in the spring so don't have to have the hitch in until then, but will definitely post an update on towing performance when we get it. Having towed a slightly larger 5th wheel with our 98 Ram, I can't wait to hook up the new one to this truck, I'm sure it will be night and day.

Here's our old rig, went all over the country for many years with it. The old Ram at 245 hp and with the 4 speed was a bit underpowered, we crawled over mountain passes in the Rockies, but it always got there. The trailer died from repeated roof leaks, but the truck is still going strong with 230K and will remain my work truck. St Mary hillside campsite.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread