5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally saw the vaunted GM tailgate......

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked the tailgate - I never leave a hitch on it so I wouldn't be too worried.
Honestly to me GMC is the second best truck to the Ram, at least for me.

Ram Rebel vs GMC AT4
- The GMC 6.2 V8 is tied with the 5.7. The 5.7 was developed and lived in 3/4tons for many years, doesn't need to run on premium like I believe the 6.2 does. But the 6.2 is plenty powerful and efficient for what it is, sounds great too.
- GMC has the cool tailgate, but they do not have ramboxes. I've had ramboxes and don't want to give them up!
- Ram has the superior interior materials and assembly, in my opinion.
- Looks are a tie, slight edge to the rebel
- wheels/tires a tie
- I prefer the Ram suspension/bilstein shocks with reservoirs vs Rancho's setup in the GMC
- I prefer the 8speed ZF to the 10speed.
- Price/value I give the nod to the Ram

I'm a Ram guy, to me GMC AT4 is the second best truck, even with the oft criticized mediocre interior.
Tailgate is cool though.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I liked the tailgate - I never leave a hitch on it so I wouldn't be too worried.
Honestly to me GMC is the second best truck to the Ram, at least for me.

Ram Rebel vs GMC AT4
- The GMC 6.2 V8 is tied with the 5.7. The 5.7 was developed and lived in 3/4tons for many years, doesn't need to run on premium like I believe the 6.2 does. But the 6.2 is plenty powerful and efficient for what it is, sounds great too.
- GMC has the cool tailgate, but they do not have ramboxes. I've had ramboxes and don't want to give them up!
- Ram has the superior interior materials and assembly, in my opinion.
- Looks are a tie, slight edge to the rebel
- wheels/tires a tie
- I prefer the Ram suspension/bilstein shocks with reservoirs vs Rancho's setup in the GMC
- I prefer the 8speed ZF to the 10speed.
- Price/value I give the nod to the Ram

I'm a Ram guy, to me GMC AT4 is the second best truck, even with the oft criticized mediocre interior.
Tailgate is cool though.

Really?? You think the 5.7 and 8 speed are either tied or worse than the 6.2 and the 10? That's nuts, the 6.2 and 10 speed are just as much an improvement over the Ram setup, as the Ram's interior is over the GMC's. The 6.2 and 10 speed is class leading (as is Ram's interior), not sure how you could possibly think otherwise :) That AT4 also looks incredible (IMO), though that's more subjective and nobody can claim a definite win because there are always fans in each club there.

But value, agreed, it goes to the Ram when you add in the discounts.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really?? You think the 5.7 and 8 speed are either tied or worse than the 6.2 and the 10? That's nuts, the 6.2 and 10 speed are just as much an improvement over the Ram setup, as the Ram's interior is over the GMC's. The 6.2 and 10 speed is class leading (as is Ram's interior), not sure how you could possibly think otherwise :) That AT4 also looks incredible (IMO), though that's more subjective and nobody can claim a definite win because there are always fans in each club there.

Agreed; the 6.2 is a lot of fun. I broke the tires loose on a Denali unintentionally on a test drive...while pulling out of the parking lot. I can only imagine that beast after a tune. And I’m guessing the new 6.6 in the HDs is no slouch, with lots of low-down torque.

Meanwhile, the ‘old’ HEMI in our trucks is rock-solid and makes all the right noises. The output is well balanced between horsepower and torque, and it’s even reasonably efficient for a naturally-aspirated V8 making nearly 400 HP. I’m good with it ;)

Apexcars

Reaction score
Now back to tailgates...
Besides the drop down hitting a trailer hitch if you have one, that fancy GMC tailgate is only rated to hold 375 pounds. I hate to think what is going to happen to those tailgates when people start loading ATVs or pallets onto them. Also, the step feature is nice but there is already a step built into the bumper for getting into the truck so it really isn't needed. A step off to one side is also more useful than one in the center because if you have a load in the bed then you probably can't step up into the center of the truck anyway.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now back to tailgates...
Besides the drop down hitting a trailer hitch if you have one, that fancy GMC tailgate is only rated to hold 375 pounds. I hate to think what is going to happen to those tailgates when people start loading ATVs or pallets onto them. Also, the step feature is nice but there is already a step built into the bumper for getting into the truck so it really isn't needed. A step off to one side is also more useful than one in the center because if you have a load in the bed then you probably can't step up into the center of the truck anyway.
Those trucks probably won’t see anything heavier than a case of Coke from the grocery store.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I don't really need it but I suppose the deployable bed step on my Rebel is nice to have. I've used it a couple of times. It's nice and sturdy. I could see the barn door option on the Ram being useful. But all the convertible stuff going on with the GM tail gates looks to me like it would rattle and be real heavy. The new GM trucks look like ***.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I kinda felt like my post spoke for itself but clarifying
- I'm not sold on 10 speed transmissions. I honestly do prefer the 8, and I do like ZF as a transmission in general.
I find it trustworthy. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Audi, Aston Martin, Lamborghini - the 8HP has a bunch of applications/customers, I think if they were a questionable unit, a lot of makers would find out quickly. In the opinion of some drivers I trust, the 10speed hunts for gears a little too much.
- I do like the 6.2 and said as much. I do like the horsepower and the fuel economy is good for it is. Sounds amazing too.
HOWEVER, the 5.7 was an engine that was in their 3/4ton trucks, I don't believe the 6.2 was for GM, they run a 6.0 Vortec gasser in their 3/4tons.
I find that desirable in a truck engine. I also strongly prefer not to be running a truck that recommends premium fuel, but that's not a world ending issue.

I understand your opinion, I again, feel GMC has the number 2 truck and a good one, but I stand by every word I said.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now back to tailgates...
Those trucks probably won’t see anything heavier than a case of Coke from the grocery store.

Man, wait until you guys hear that the Ram tailgate is only rated for 150lbs when in motion....

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, wait until you guys hear that the Ram tailgate is only rated for 150lbs when in motion....
Maybe because of the fact that if you hit a bump the tailgate would rise & then fall, the snap motion would put additional strain on the retaining cables. That does make sense. You would think that someone would make cables that would support more weight in the after market.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe because of the fact that if you hit a bump the tailgate would rise & then fall, the snap motion would put additional strain on the retaining cables. That does make sense. You would think that someone would make cables that would support more weight in the after market.

My guess? I'm thinking the truck makers are trying to AVOID encouraging people to put high amounts of weight, on two cables, with an open bed, at speed going over bumps. (Let's be real, not that it stops anybody).
Especially when pulling it on a small trailer is safer and easier on the vehicle.
Putting 900lbs of ATV in the bed is going to be harder on the vehicle than putting it on a 1000lb trailer, for a whopping 190lbs of tongue weight, zero of it on the tailgate cables going over bumps at 65mph.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
After having 2 F-150s with the first and then second generation tailgate step, I can agree with other posters that Ford's solution is the best. The RAM is a close second with the deployable bed step, and it has the added benefit of being useful with a trailer attached - something Ford and GM can't say!

Of almost 8 years of driving F-150s, I never had a rattle or noise coming from the tailgate, but it IS heavy, and the added structural stuff made it more effort to close than the RAM's tailgate, which is almost too light - hence why I think RAM added a "tailgate ajar" message, where Ford (AFAIK) still doesn't have one.

I used the tailgate step on my Fords many, many times. With bad knees, it was a godsend, and bed access help was a requirement on any replacement truck - which is one reason I waited to get my RAM until the bed step was factory installed.

The GM tailgate, while offering lots of configurations, is still hampered by not being able to coexist with a bar & ball in the hitch. In my Fords, I left the b&b in the hitch all the time - it seems to prevent tailgaters around here - but if I had a GM, I couldn't do that. I don't do it now in my RAM because the b&b bounces around and makes a heck of a racket when there's not a trailer attached.

riccnick, where did you find out about a 150lb limit while in motion? I read through the owner's manual and didn't see any reference to this.

Thanks,

-John

Klute

Reaction score
Talked to a friend who owns an autobody shop. Says that tailgate can't be repaired (like a normal one) and usually requires replacement and it is very expensive.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. That page does not exist in my owner's manual, at least the one I downloaded for my 2019.

-John

Hmmmm

I bookmarked the link to the DT owners manual on the forum, and use it frequently.
If I had to guess, the R2 is a revision to the original release of the owners manual. I also noticed the other day, this manual has a section for the swing open spit gate warning light, but no section on how to use that gate at all.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hmmmm

I bookmarked the link to the DT owners manual on the forum, and use it frequently.
If I had to guess, the R2 is a revision to the original release of the owners manual. I also noticed the other day, this manual has a section for the swing open spit gate warning light, but no section on how to use that gate at all.

View attachment 28989

Thanks! I have downloaded the version you linked to, and noticed that its copyright is 2018, whereas the one I had was copyright 2019, but seems to have less information (like the tailgate weight limit in motion)? Odd.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread