5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally saw the vaunted GM tailgate......

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is because they no longer allow for the use of the bed extender. Lots of posts on that. It was a big deal when people first got their RAMBOX. Then they realized it was a legal deal and people just got the parts and all is good

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I saw the 115V outlet (in the RAMBOX) I was like SWEET! I'll use that to charge my drone batteries! (it is outside the vehicle so if they 'splod, no biggy!)
I don’t have the Ram Box, but that is a perfect use for an external outlet! I was flying the Inspire 2 today - two sites about 15 acres a piece, so I brought 8 batteries. Had my my survey crew set my targets before going dig up property corners.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I find the new Step Tailgate by GM ironic since they used to bust on Ford in their commercials for having their Tailgate Step when they first introduced them.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I find the new Step Tailgate by GM ironic since they used to bust on Ford in their commercials for having their Tailgate Step when they first introduced them.

Yes yes, let the hate flow through you! No, just kidding - GM really does do a lot of commercials that are hit pieces on their competitors, when in reality they're way behind the times in most areas, and a few years later they end up copying what they "hated" before - ahem, aluminum panels, tailgate steps, round wheel wells. The lone shining star apparently is their gas mileage on their 1/2-ton trucks. They pretty much get what they're supposed to, whereas Ford and RAM seem to have inflated numbers left, right and center. On a tangent now, I'd really like to see the mfgs and EPA test more configurations for fuel economy, so the numbers on the Monroney are closer to reality.

-John

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes yes, let the hate flow through you! No, just kidding - GM really does do a lot of commercials that are hit pieces on their competitors, when in reality they're way behind the times in most areas, and a few years later they end up copying what they "hated" before - ahem, aluminum panels, tailgate steps, round wheel wells. The lone shining star apparently is their gas mileage on their 1/2-ton trucks. They pretty much get what they're supposed to, whereas Ford and RAM seem to have inflated numbers left, right and center. On a tangent now, I'd really like to see the mfgs and EPA test more configurations for fuel economy, so the numbers on the Monroney are closer to reality.

-John

To be fair to GM; they're trucks are usually underrated (in terms of capability) as well. As an example TFL truck did a segment few years ago comparing the 3 heavy duty trucks pulling a trailer up the Ike (gauntlet) and the GM had the lowest torque + HP but still did a better job than the Ford and Ram. That diesel is always the underdog compared to the Ford and Ram in terms of specs, but it actually does really well compared to them.

As for gas mileage in the Ram half ton; it seems to be a case of them picking the best they can get while just ignoring all the options (read "weight") which negatively impact MPG. Because my computer tells me I'm getting 24 MPG on a recent 3 hour highway trip and it was still going up farther but I had to stop since that was my destination. I have a relatively light truck compared to some, just a big horn with no off road stuff, no air suspension, no sunroof, no etorque etc, and I was just doing 105 km/h (basically doing the speed limit). So even accounting for computer being optimistic, I think I'm definitely still hitting or exceeding the EPA numbers in my Ram for mileage. From what I can see, the rebel and loaded limited's seem to have the lowest MPG.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the GM tailgate is a total gimmick. I've owned pickup trucks as my daily driver for 30-ish years now. I think if I had had that GM tailgate through all that time, I might have actually used any of its features maybe half a dozen times. And probably would have effed it up on a trailer hitch, too.

It’s a gimmick, as is the RAM barn door. It’s one of those things that you show all of your friends once and then never use it.

OTOH, I think the barn doors are something I would have used many, many times. I very rarely drive with the tailgate down. Generally only when I have a motorcycle in the back - which is very rare itself, because I generally ride there. My bikes are not trailer queens.

And if I'm not going to put something on the tailgate and leave it there while I'm driving, why do I want the tailgate laying down in front of me when I'm putting stuff in and out or getting in and out of the back?

Most of what I am putting in and out of the back on a regular basis is scuba tanks. I generally put them in laying down at the back of the bed. With a regular tailgate, it is just in the way and makes it that much harder to put them in and take them out because I'm having to lean across it. With single tanks, it's not that big a deal. They generally weigh around 45 - 50 pounds. But, I weighed my doubles the other day after they were filled with air. 99 pounds. Double steel HP120s, if you know anything about scuba and care. Picking them up to to put them in the back of the truck is not a big deal. But, then getting them across the tailgate and into the bed, so I can close the tailgate is a minor pain. It would just be a lot easier and more convenient with barn doors, so I could set them in just where they need to go.

Scuba tanks. Bags of concrete mix. Bags of mulch. Boxes of "stuff". Whatever. Anything that you're putting in the back of your truck and then going to close the tailgate would be easier with barn doors.

In other words, I think I would probably use the barn doors about 95% of the time, versus opening the tailgate the "normal" way... if I had the new tailgate.... And with the barn doors open, the new lower middle part of the bumper means I would not need any kind of additional step to get in and out easily.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the GM tailgate is a total gimmick. I've owned pickup trucks as my daily driver for 30-ish years now. I think if I had had that GM tailgate through all that time, I might have actually used any of its features maybe half a dozen times. And probably would have effed it up on a trailer hitch, too.

OTOH, I think the barn doors are something I would have used many, many times. I very rarely drive with the tailgate down. Generally only when I have a motorcycle in the back - which is very rare itself, because I generally ride there. My bikes are not trailer queens.

And if I'm not going to put something on the tailgate and leave it there while I'm driving, why do I want the tailgate laying down in front of me when I'm putting stuff in and out or getting in and out of the back?

Most of what I am putting in and out of the back on a regular basis is scuba tanks. I generally put them in laying down at the back of the bed. With a regular tailgate, it is just in the way and makes it that much harder to put them in and take them out because I'm having to lean across it. With single tanks, it's not that big a deal. They generally weigh around 45 - 50 pounds. But, I weighed my doubles the other day after they were filled with air. 99 pounds. Double steel HP120s, if you know anything about scuba and care. Picking them up to to put them in the back of the truck is not a big deal. But, then getting them across the tailgate and into the bed, so I can close the tailgate is a minor pain. It would just be a lot easier and more convenient with barn doors, so I could set them in just where they need to go.

Scuba tanks. Bags of concrete mix. Bags of mulch. Boxes of "stuff". Whatever. Anything that you're putting in the back of your truck and then going to close the tailgate would be easier with barn doors.

In other words, I think I would probably use the barn doors about 95% of the time, versus opening the tailgate the "normal" way... if I had the new tailgate.... And with the barn doors open, the new lower middle part of the bumper means I would not need any kind of additional step to get in and out easily.
Well, to each his own. That's why it's an option. Some people really like it (or need it), and some people think it's really stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/