5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally saw the vaunted GM tailgate......

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well today I finally saw one of those new fancy schmancy GMC tailgates. Its the first one I have seen. Its pretty impressive but like anything that new I wonder how it will hold up especially to dents or accidents. I guess we will see what this spawns the other manufacturers to do. I wonder If GM was smart enough would they license the thing out to the competition after a few years and make a killing?

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm shocked GM finally went to rounded wheel wells .. they have been squared for so many years .. tiz why I never got a newer one after my -04 HD

I like the idea of the GM tailgate - but was told it is only avail on GMC Sierra. I still would like the new Ram Tailgate because I think I would use that more than not.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guy at work got a new GMC with the fancy tailgate. First time he used it he dented the tailgate because he didn't realize it would hit the hitch if it's in the receiver
I’ve noticed that this is a serious flaw. There needs to be some sort of “hitch stop” that prevents that tailgate from fully deploying when the hitch is in use. It drops down fast, and I imagine it can produce a serious dent.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's probably pretty cool to have when there is a need for such a fancy feature and you use it often enough; but I know me. Anything that requires too much futzing around or mental attention just gets discarded and unused. Ain't enough time in the day to worry about which button to press or worry about dropping on the hitch etc. I'm not in the bed of my truck often enough to care, I just like the slow release and the lightweight gate, I'm good to go. Couldn't even be bothered to buy the additional ram step because I know I'll never use it, I'm young and spry (yet!) enough to just hop in the bed as needed.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I wanted that Tailgate so bad. interesting to see how it holds up in the future.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know. I think the Ram Barn door tailgate could be useful as it kind of functions like the Ridgeline, but really I think the best tailgate setup is that pull out ladder on the Ford tailgate. That is a smart idea.

Downside to all of these things is that it's more opportunity for things to break, rattle, and go wrong. So I will live just fine with my plain Jane Ram tailgate - hell, it's the first one I've ever owned that was dampened!

Scotsmangav

Reaction score
I
I don't know. I think the Ram Barn door tailgate could be useful as it kind of functions like the Ridgeline, but really I think the best tailgate setup is that pull out ladder on the Ford tailgate. That is a smart idea.

Downside to all of these things is that it's more opportunity for things to break, rattle, and go wrong. So I will live just fine with my plain Jane Ram tailgate - hell, it's the first one I've ever owned that was dampened!
I hauled the “ladder” out of my work F150 a few weeks ago - couldn’t face lifting 40lbs of tailgate multiple times a day any more. Biggest/heaviest waste of time ever in my opinion ! It’s lying in my garage waiting for me to find time to put it on Craigslist.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I

I hauled the “ladder” out of my work F150 a few weeks ago - couldn’t face lifting 40lbs of tailgate multiple times a day any more. Biggest/heaviest waste of time ever in my opinion ! It’s lying in my garage waiting for me to find time to put it on Craigslist.
They don't make those tailgates with lift assist? That seems crazy! The 150's we buy at the office are fleet models and don't have that tailgate setup.

Scotsmangav

Reaction score
They don't make those tailgates with lift assist? That seems crazy! The 150's we buy at the office are fleet models and don't have that tailgate setup.
Nope, no tailgate assist. Even without the steps, it’s still way heavier than my Rebel’s.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a gimmick, as is the RAM barn door. It’s one of those things that you show all of your friends once and then never use it.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
i like the step function but its overly complicated otherwise, imagine getting rear ended and having to pay 8k for a tailgate

Lize

Reaction score
Just reminded me to look for a video about this.

Bit disappointed as it just looks like a Ford step and the back part of a bed extender made overly complex.

Yes you can get closer to the bed to load heavy things, if I'm putting anything really heavy in the bed then I put it on the tailgate and then get in and drag it up the front rather than having it loaded right at the back. Same applies to the barn door which I initially thought was a great idea but have since decided wouldn't be that useful for me - I don't have a pallet loader and I wouldn't let a muppet near the truck with one.

And would people use a laptop at a half tailgate height for any length of time or just for a few minutes when they can either hold it or sit indoors or use a pad?

knightro84

Reaction score
My neighbor across the street just got a new Sierra Denali this past weekend... he invited me over to check it out when we saw each other getting mail today. It has the fancy tailgate - it's a pretty cool party trick, but I wouldn't see myself using it much. It's definitely a nice truck though. Gave him some ribbing when we checked out the interior... said it looked just like my other buddy's 2014 Silverado. I really can't believe GM went with that interior on their flagship truck. It's terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread