5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiat Chrysler recalls 182K Ram pickups; power steering can fail

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
20180506_132550.jpg

Loss of power steering assist could result

January 25, 2019, Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC is recalling certain 2019 Ram 1500 pickups, to tighten an improperly secured battery ground-circuit fastener. Affected vehicles were built before October 25, 2018, and could lose power steering assist if the ground-circuit fastener becomes loose enough to create an open circuit. Steering ability would be retained in the event of a failure but it could lead to inconsistent steering feedback, which may contribute to oversteer or understeer, increasing the risk of a crash.

FCA is unaware of any injuries or accidents related to this condition. This recall affects an estimated 159,740 vehicles in the U.S (1/3 of those are still in dealers hands). Also affected are 18,682 vehicles in Canada, 407 in Mexico and 3,409 that have been sold overseas.

Customers with questions or concerns may call 1-800-853-1403.

AndreiV

Reaction score
My truck was built in May, and did in fact had a loose battery-ground connector in the engine bay, easy DIY fix, wonder if it referring to the same connector/location. Mopar and NTSB shows no recalls for my VIN.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BOOM. Now tell me how much FCA sucks :) Owning the problem and fixing it. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm proud to say that solution was hypothesized by at least one member here weeks ago. Later confirmed by what appears to be an FCA technician who joined the discussion. Way to go guys!

Last edited:

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck was built in May, and did in fact had a loose battery-ground connector in the engine bay, easy DIY fix, wonder if it referring to the same connector/location. Mopar and NTSB shows no recalls for my VIN.

Mine doesn't either, and I've had the failure once. I'm guessing they haven't updated systems yet.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Does anyone know which bolt and where it located in the engine bay ? I don't feel like going to the dealer and would rather just tighten it down myself if it is loose ? *Pics always help if you have them*

Thanks in advance ..

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know which bolt and where it located in the engine bay ? I don't feel like going to the dealer and would rather just tighten it down myself if it is loose ? *Pics always help if you have them*

Thanks in advance ..

Seriously, let the dealer handle this. It may be one location, it may be two, it may be three. Who knows. There may or may not also be other tweaks and checks the dealer does.

And besides, who will be at fault if this causes a crash or fatality and you intentionally declined the OEM remedy?

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Seriously, let the dealer handle this. It may be one location, it may be two, it may be three. Who knows. There may or may not also be other tweaks and checks the dealer does.

And besides, who will be at fault if this causes a crash or fatality and you intentionally declined the OEM remedy?

Eventually, I will get to the dealer and have them address it, but in the meantime if I can just check it myself for tighting that will save me time. Like all of us, I got places to go and things to do .. and do not like being held hostage at the dealer.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Sub’d....traveling weekly and would like to know location of ground bolt to handle before finding time to take it to the dealer....,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/