5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

j517

Reaction score
There was pics here he may have taken them down

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm frankly shocked I don't read about this exact scenario more. My wife's Durango and my Ram both do this all the time, hence why the systems are disabled. Most frequent setup is a car making a right turn in front of us, we move to left side of lane to go around at 20 mph and the car auto brakes. System is garbage, it's still better than 98% of drivers today though unfortunately.
I've had this system on various FCA products for years and never had a problem. It's all about the sensitivity setting and not driving like a total ***.
With the setting to near you will never get a false warning.

This sounds like a case of people not understanding the system and automatically assuming it's "crap". The fact is this system saves thousands of lives a year and saves accidents from happening. That is why this will be standard in a few years

It's like when airbags came out people said they were more dangerous than not having them. Or the folks who think they are safer not wearing a seatbelt.
I personally had this system save my bacon before. A tow truck pulled out in front of me on the highway after stopping in the middle lane. He didn't have his lights on and pulled about 100 feet in front of me. The FCW and auto braking reacted before I could and applied full braking (which on a Jeep SRT is impressive). I still hit him but I scrubbed off enough speed to walk away with zero Injuries. The car was totalled.
It is for these scenarios I'm a big fan of this technology. We all think we're the best drivers on the road, the fact is when something happens like this scenario your brain still takes a split econd to process what's happening and then react accordingly. For a computer that decision happens in micro seconds and it can help save your butt.

Attachments

• 20180105_150532.jpg
    20180105_150532.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 55

ldoh

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the government or a lawsuit eventually results in manufacturers providing a warning that driver aids may or may not respond to objects not currently in the pathway . Shades of "objects in mirror may be closer than they appear."

Dave07

Reaction score
What I have gathered from this thread - a lot Ram owners drive like they own a BMW.

Agreed, the only time I had the system activate is when I was driving like an a-hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
Far is the most sensitive warning. You want it on
near.

Probably more clear to say near and far relates to response time where throttle and brake may respond much different. A more herky-jerky response with fewer driver cut-ins on near and more cut-ins and smoother response with far.

However those far setting cut-ins result in a occasional herky-jerky brakes so there's no free lunch. Also, far setting may try to close the gap by accelerating even when lead pathway vehicles are preparing to slow for a stop light/sign. After a while the driver learns to anticipate issues and disable the aid or turn it off all together. I avoid the far setting.

R

Rob5589

I'm frankly shocked I don't read about this exact scenario more. My wife's Durango and my Ram both do this all the time, hence why the systems are disabled. Most frequent setup is a car making a right turn in front of us, we move to left side of lane to go around at 20 mph and the car auto brakes. System is garbage, it's still better than 98% of drivers today though unfortunately.
Disabling it is one way. Or leaving more reaction space is another.

Not directed at you but, the common thread seems to be people following closer than the system will allow. My very uneducated guess is that the system uses an algorithm based on speed, distance, weight, etc, as to when to activate. And let's be honest, who actually uses the "2 second rule" when driving? Here in CA, you leave 6 car lengths in front of you there will be 5 cars that dive in. Literally nobody leaves that much room. Surely the system is built to provide something similar, not what most drivers actually do.

As far as the OP's quick exit, it happens when someone comes looking for validation but does not get it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if I should turn off my auto braking and only leaving the warning system. I know people have had issues with inclines and garages activating the system, I personally haven't experience it yet.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I've had this system on various FCA products for years and never had a problem. It's all about the sensitivity setting and not driving like a total ***.
With the setting to near you will never get a false warning.

This sounds like a case of people not understanding the system and automatically assuming it's "crap". The fact is this system saves thousands of lives a year and saves accidents from happening. That is why this will be standard in a few years

It's like when airbags came out people said they were more dangerous than not having them. Or the folks who think they are safer not wearing a seatbelt.
I personally had this system save my bacon before. A tow truck pulled out in front of me on the highway after stopping in the middle lane. He didn't have his lights on and pulled about 100 feet in front of me. The FCW and auto braking reacted before I could and applied full braking (which on a Jeep SRT is impressive). I still hit him but I scrubbed off enough speed to walk away with zero Injuries. The car was totalled.
It is for these scenarios I'm a big fan of this technology. We all think we're the best drivers on the road, the fact is when something happens like this scenario your brain still takes a split econd to process what's happening and then react accordingly. For a computer that decision happens in micro seconds and it can help save your butt.
A system needs to be designed with a reality perspective and common sense. This wasn't, plain and simple. Mercedes, Tesla's do not have these system design failures, though Tesla has plenty of others.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A system needs to be designed with a reality perspective and common sense. This wasn't, plain and simple. Mercedes, Tesla's do not have these system design failures, though Tesla has plenty of others.
I don't believe that one bit. The system is on millions of FCA vehichles. I havent had any issues with the system on my Ram.
Learn to not drive like an A hole and learn the limitations of the system.

Dave07

Reaction score

Go to YouTube and type in “Tesla Autopilot Fails”. They have their flaws to. Last one I saw, autopilot tried to drive the car into a barrier.

R

Rob5589

Not at all. Because the reality is people are terrible drivers a lot of the time. I do not have it on mine but, we do on our Sorento. It will slow you down, even when set to minimal parameters, sooner than I probably would. Same with it's ACC, greater distances than I normally would use. But every time it does, it is easy to see the safe following distance it is working under.

silver billet

Reaction score
I wish the rear parking assist would automatically disable when a trailer is connected. That's the only time I have trouble with it slamming on the brakes when attempting to back up. Yeah you look pretty stupid with a bunch of guys staring at you on the boat launch. I'm not an electrician, but surely there must be some way for the truck to know that the 4/7 pin cable is connected and then just disable rear park assist (or give me the option to do it automatically in uconnect).

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish the rear parking assist would automatically disable when a trailer is connected. That's the only time I have trouble with it slamming on the brakes when attempting to back up. Yeah you look pretty stupid with a bunch of guys staring at you on the boat launch. I'm not an electrician, but surely there must be some way for the truck to know that the 4/7 pin cable is connected and then just disable rear park assist (or give me the option to do it automatically in uconnect).
I think if you select tow/haul mode it takes the rear parking assist off.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think if you select tow/haul mode it takes the rear parking assist off.
I don't think that may be the case but maybe others can confirm. If you are reversing a boat trailer on the ramp, what I have done is either deactivate by the switch or put the transfer case in 4lo. Putting it in 4 LO deactivates the rear assist.

silver billet

Reaction score
I get all that, but still, computers and tech are supposed to make life easier; if they don't, and we have to end up doing more instead of less, than the designers of the system have failed in some small (or large) way and need to fix it.

I just have a little fishing boat right now; tow mode is completely not needed, and neither is 4x4 low, so having to remember to take that extra step all the time... again, the tech has failed, since it is so easy to just have the truck figure that out. It has everything it needs, but somebody just didn't bother to work the problem 100%.

That said, it's a minor flaw, I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm just saying, if you're going to the job, do it properly :) Heck even the crummy Tesla SUV has that figured out.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think that may be the case but maybe others can confirm. If you are reversing a boat trailer on the ramp, what I have done is either deactivate by the switch or put the transfer case in 4lo. Putting it in 4 LO deactivates the rear assist.
Can't you just flick the toggle switch below the screen to turn it off as well?

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Go to YouTube and type in “Tesla Autopilot Fails”. They have their flaws to. Last one I saw, autopilot tried to drive the car into a barrier.

Yes exactly...all these systems are flawed and brought to market too early. No other way to test and develop a proper system, not going to happen using test cars on a closed circuit. In 10 years they will be great, till then they will cause accidents

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't you just flick the toggle switch below the screen to turn it off as well?
Yes, that is the switch I was referring too. I try avoiding going into uconnect options as much as possible, lol

Lize

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if I should turn off my auto braking and only leaving the warning system. I know people have had issues with inclines and garages activating the system, I personally haven't experience it yet.
Have you got forward collision on the Rebel, thought that was part of the Advanced Safety Group and not offered? Just interested to learn if this is new or if I’ve got it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/