5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA Temporarily Closing plants

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Vehicles impacted by Stellantis’ production halts include the Chrysler 300 sedan and Pacifica and Voyager minivans, Dodge Charger and Challenger cars, Jeep Cherokee and Compass SUVs and Ram 1500 Classic pickup. A newer version of the Ram 1500 remains in production at a different Michigan plant.

Last edited:

Highertechnology

Reaction score
“Vehicles impacted by Stellantis’ production halts include the Chrysler 300 sedan and Pacifica and Voyager minivans, Dodge Charger and Challenger cars, Jeep Cherokee and Compass SUVs and Ram 1500 Classic pickup. A newer version of the Ram 1500 remains in production at a different Michigan plant.”

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“Vehicles impacted by Stellantis’ production halts include the Chrysler 300 sedan and Pacifica and Voyager minivans, Dodge Charger and Challenger cars, Jeep Cherokee and Compass SUVs and Ram 1500 Classic pickup. A newer version of the Ram 1500 remains in production at a different Michigan plant.”
Yep, missed that part but posted it.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
Still good info. I’m just glad I found that ray of sunshine in the article, considering I have an order barely in scheduling.

Boston

Reaction score
Thought the classic was only built in Mexico, alongside the HD Rams which use the Classic cab.

Boston

Reaction score
Thank you.

Bet they are trying desperately to keep the DT lines going

DTN

Reaction score
Global chip shortages causing manufacturing plants stall, global shipping stalled due to mishap in Suez Canal, global banks and hedge funds selling big time ... and so on.

It's like somebody don't want the global economy to recover post covid.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Global chip shortages causing manufacturing plants stall, global shipping stalled due to mishap in Suez Canal, global banks and hedge funds selling big time ... and so on.

It's like somebody don't want the global economy to recover post covid.
I'm suspicious as well, like that tanker stuck in the Suez last week. Did you see the navigation pattern on a map? Tell me what that looks like! No kidding seems deliberate and now the story has gone quiet.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm suspicious as well, like that tanker stuck in the Suez last week. Did you see the navigation pattern on a map? Tell me what that looks like! No kidding seems deliberate and now the story has gone quiet.
I wasn't able to find that navigation pattern. But the whole story was suspicious to me from the start. Nothing about how or why the ship became lodged like that. It's not like they're battling rough seas in the canal. What caused it?

DivingOtter

Reaction score
They are right in the middle of the Sinai desert. It's like being out in West Texas with nothing but a couple of 3 strand barb wire fences between you and the north pole. It wouldn't take a lot of wind (given how much vertical side that ship has with all the containers stacked up) to point the bow just enough into the shore. Once it hit, and started to stick, a couple of million tons of mass moving at almost any speed is one hell of a lot of inertia during an impact. That caused the back end to just keep swinging and there you have it. Doesn't seem like much, but I've docked a 40' bluewater sailboat and it was still a problem in even a light breeze with no sails. There are some reports of a dust storm at the time, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. I didn't even know they were still building the "classic" - I thought that was for 2019 only. And as for the ship stuck, I bet the draft barely clears the canal floor; hell, when that canal was built nothing came close to drafting like these gargantuan cargo ships do now. The draft on these things is 50 feet or more these days. I looked it up and the Suez maximum depth is 79 feet. That's not a lot of clearance, and the floors are not necessarily smooth nor consistent, and you have to deal with sediment, etc. It's not surprising to me *at all* that something got stuck; I'm surprised more ships don't get stuck!

The draft on my ship when I was in the Navy was about 25-26 feet, just for comparison.

DTN

Reaction score
They are right in the middle of the Sinai desert. It's like being out in West Texas with nothing but a couple of 3 strand barb wire fences between you and the north pole. It wouldn't take a lot of wind (given how much vertical side that ship has with all the containers stacked up) to point the bow just enough into the shore. Once it hit, and started to stick, a couple of million tons of mass moving at almost any speed is one hell of a lot of inertia during an impact. That caused the back end to just keep swinging and there you have it. Doesn't seem like much, but I've docked a 40' bluewater sailboat and it was still a problem in even a light breeze with no sails. There are some reports of a dust storm at the time, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Many reports that this mishap was something other than wind.

Ever Given Ship Made Incomprehensible Moves Before Blocking Suez Canal – What’s Going On?

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so think about this
ever try to carry a sheet of plywood from the ram to the back door with a slight breeze, that sh** sucks. 5mph gust can screw up your day, now imagine that sheet of ply is 100' tall and 1200' long...this equals stuck boat.

so as far a a marketing decision from FCA, if you are running low on "chips" what do you do
1. scale back to keep the most profit, does not matter if buyers are not happy, if they can not get a new truck today they will likely wait a month/buy something more $/or settle for a truck without this feature
2. how do you know they are happy, as FCA? they spend $
3. where do people spend $? 5th gen limiteds or TRX....
4. what gets cut, less expensive trucks, tradesman, bighorn, laramie/rebel, TRX in this order
5. if you can only sell 1000 trucks that can have cross traffic (or whatever feature) those are all going to be the $95k trucks that have a $20k mark-up, I am amazed that FCA is still considering Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited. get them ordered now.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Actually the 'balls' part of that is very easily a ship swinging at anchor in shifting tides, the initial long portion is where they were drifting after collecting the anchor and trying to get headway away from shore... Those things don't exactly start and stop on a City block. Think of it as a drift back and then head forward into the incoming current. The rest of it is also easy to explain since they are assigned a 'window' that they can enter the canal. If you can't stop the damn thing, you drive it in circles till it's your turn. I've done almost the exact same manuevers in my sailboat in the Chesapeake (ie without the grounding and all the attention.) It's a matter of time frame and understanding how the sea and ship work together.

All that said, it REALLY sucks brass monkey cahoneys for that skipper.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was on a boat tour on the Mississippi River a couple years ago. There is an old railroad bridge crossing the river (only a couple like it left on the whole river), the whole bridge rotates to open a lane for ships. Some of the ships have 6" clearance on either side. There are almost no problems getting through over the 100+ years in operation.

The Suez Canal thing was intentional. There is a common reaction as to what the path looks like. I think it looks like a key and is a clue.

DTN

Reaction score
You don't have to only focus on the event. Also look at effect and look at other events with the same effects in the same time period.
Cause-and-effect analysis. There Are No Coincidences

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thought the classic was only built in Mexico, alongside the HD Rams which use the Classic cab.

The Classic is built at Warren Truck in Michigan
The classic regular cab 6 foot and 8 foot beds are built in Mexico with the HD

The classic crew and quad cabs are built in Warren.

Everything was to come to US but that has changed.

Classic looks like it will be a go for 2022 also. Unless something changed.

slatersan

Reaction score
I was on a boat tour on the Mississippi River a couple years ago. There is an old railroad bridge crossing the river (only a couple like it left on the whole river), the whole bridge rotates to open a lane for ships. Some of the ships have 6" clearance on either side. There are almost no problems getting through over the 100+ years in operation.

The Suez Canal thing was intentional. There is a common reaction as to what the path looks like. I think it looks like a key and is a clue.
Has there ever been a sandstorm that pushes boats when trying to go under that bridge on the Mississippi? There are 'almost no problems' getting through the Suez in over 150 years of operation.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpeg
    unnamed.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has there ever been a sandstorm that pushes boats when trying to go under that bridge on the Mississippi? There are 'almost no problems' getting through the Suez in over 150 years of operation.
A sandstorm would definitely make the ship take the path of drawing what most think is a certain male body part. Over a couple hours time. <sarcssm> Though I think it is a key.

Users who are viewing this thread