5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faulty Tail Light?

ez.allgood

Reaction score
To start, I am currently at 2,600 miles on my truck.

When I got home a couple of days ago, I noticed a strange shine coming from the driver's side tail light. upon inspection, where the clear lens is bonded to the red is cracked. The crack on the upper clear part runs around 3/4 of the way and splinters off down into the sensor. The lower clear lens is cracked also.

I took it back to the dealership and they have requested a warranty request from corporate. I'm waiting to hear back so fingers crossed it's covered but shouldn't it be?? It looks to me like a faulty part/craftsmanship.

Thoughts??

20200519_180138.jpg 20200519_180147.jpg 20200519_184402.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that should be a non-issue with warranty. Dealer's going to try to get out of it, but just keep pressing if they do.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
they've been good to me so far. This has been the best experience I've had at a dealership with these guys so I'm hoping they can get it done

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it just the driver side tail light that's cracked? Hopefully they cover it under warranty, but I'm not sure there is any way to prove someone didn't somehow damage that tail light. I seem to remember seeing someone complain about the same thing in one of the Ram forums, but I don't know how it turned out for them.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just the driver side tail light that's cracked? Hopefully they cover it under warranty, but I'm not sure there is any way to prove someone didn't somehow damage that tail light. I seem to remember seeing someone complain about the same thing in one of the Ram forums, but I don't know how it turned out for them.
That's exactly it though. If you can't prove that it was from an exterior source (impact, rock, etc) then it should be covered under warranty. At least from the pictures that tail light looks to be in perfect condition except for that crack. A rock or impact would leave more marks.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Yeah, there's definitely no impact marks and these cracks follow the mold line where the 2 materials came together, on both top and bottom, just on the driver side

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I had a similar defect in a Dodge Charger and they replaced it without question. My crack allowed moisture in and I noticed the fog before the crack. The technicians did scratch my paint replacing the light though, as well as left a pry tool in the trunk drain channel.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
they've been good to me so far. This has been the best experience I've had at a dealership with these guys so I'm hoping they can get it done

Please be sure to keep us updated on the outcome of your situation, @ez.allgood! While I am very happy to hear that you are in good hands with your dealer, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's exactly it though. If you can't prove that it was from an exterior source (impact, rock, etc) then it should be covered under warranty. At least from the pictures that tail light looks to be in perfect condition except for that crack. A rock or impact would leave more marks.
Yeah, there's definitely no impact marks and these cracks follow the mold line where the 2 materials came together, on both top and bottom, just on the driver side
That could happen without leaving any sign of impact. For instance, a few years back I saw a fight at a local watering hole. One guy pushed another guy against his car, and his head hit the composite headligh and cracked it. There was no sign of impact other than the lens was cracked. Not saying that's what happened here, just that it can happen many ways, and won't always leave any sign of it. The fact that it happened at the mold line actually makes me wonder if some kind of impact didn't happen there. I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm rooting for you and hoping the dealer does the right thing in this instance.

Mother

Reaction score
To start, I am currently at 2,600 miles on my truck.

When I got home a couple of days ago, I noticed a strange shine coming from the driver's side tail light. upon inspection, where the clear lens is bonded to the red is cracked. The crack on the upper clear part runs around 3/4 of the way and splinters off down into the sensor. The lower clear lens is cracked also.

I took it back to the dealership and they have requested a warranty request from corporate. I'm waiting to hear back so fingers crossed it's covered but shouldn't it be?? It looks to me like a faulty part/craftsmanship.

Thoughts??

View attachment 56781 View attachment 56782 View attachment 56783

Did you ever get a resolution on this? Just noticed a similar crack on my driver's side rail light.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Did you ever get a resolution on this? Just noticed a similar crack on my driver's side rail light.
The service department told me that they would get it fixed for me and I have a new tail light on order, under warranty. It's taking a little while for it to come in but I did have to take it in for them to really look at it and determine it was defective craftsmanship.

Hope this helps

Mother

Reaction score
Glad they are taking care of you. I'll have to make time to swing by a local dealer and have them check mine out. 20200607_175841.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad they are taking care of you. I'll have to make time to swing by a local dealer and have them check mine out.

If you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see you both have 2020 models. What are the your build dates for your trucks?

SSN765

Reaction score
2019 1500 purchased truck July 2019 built March 2018. While showing son truck in the evening with the lights on he noticed a crack like yours. Couldn't see it in sun until it was pointed out during the evening. Brought it to dealer and was replaced the next day and was returned. All under warranty no questions asked. Thought it was strange it was available next day for such a new model. Did read the fourms back then and noted a couple others reported cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread