5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory trailer brake controller - can it work automatically below 15 mph?

Mr. Ramsbottom

Reaction score
My factory trailer brake controller stops working when my speed drops to 15 mph and below. Even at that low speed, I can feel a surge forward when the trailer brakes cut out. I'm getting better at remembering to manually engage them with the slider switch, but does anyone know whether there any adjustment that can be made to keep the trailer brakes automatically engaged whenever I'm using the truck's brake?

tommyboy

Reaction score
mine does this too. im pulling 6000 lbs. and have it set on heavy electric. after looking in the owners manual, i will switch to light electric. there is no mention of this feature/problem in the manual.

tommyboy

Reaction score
My factory trailer brake controller stops working when my speed drops to 15 mph and below. Even at that low speed, I can feel a surge forward when the trailer brakes cut out. I'm getting better at remembering to manually engage them with the slider switch, but does anyone know whether there any adjustment that can be made to keep the trailer brakes automatically engaged whenever I'm using the truck's brake?
have you had the issue fixed?

runamuck

Reaction score
mine works ok at slow speeds. I always check it before heading out when towing. I have mine set on 5.5 I think

geotex1

Reaction score
Sounds like folks are used to higher end aftermarket controllers, like a P3, versus what's in the RAM. For the OP, you should begin at the trailer. Make sure the brakes are all in good condition and properly adjusted. Check the electrical connections as crimp connectors are a frequent cause of bad trailer brake behavior. If you're savvy and have a DMM, reading the resistance will really be informative.

You don't give any specifics on your trailer so I'll just say make sure you choose the right configuration, light or heavy electric, when setting up in Uconnect. Then to set the gain, you need a nice flat, stretch of good level paving on a dry day. You want to just barely get lockup travelling at 20-25mph with manual trailer brake activation. That's your starting point and you can tune from there to your liking. In real world travel, you're constantly adjusting the trailer brake gain based on road type, weather conditions, how hot your brakes are, etc. The RAM IBC is more akin to 90s-era controllers versus inertia-based, set and forget controllers dominating the aftermarket of today. However, the RAM IBCs work fine once you understand what you are working with and also appreciate they force you to keep your trailer brake system up to snuff because they're not forgiving.

tommyboy

Reaction score
I switched to light electric, no change. I will be heading to the dealer next unless someone has an answer on this.

tommyboy

Reaction score
Fixed?

tommyboy

Reaction score
Sounds like folks are used to higher end aftermarket controllers, like a P3, versus what's in the RAM. For the OP, you should begin at the trailer. Make sure the brakes are all in good condition and properly adjusted. Check the electrical connections as crimp connectors are a frequent cause of bad trailer brake behavior. If you're savvy and have a DMM, reading the resistance will really be informative.

You don't give any specifics on your trailer so I'll just say make sure you choose the right configuration, light or heavy electric, when setting up in Uconnect. Then to set the gain, you need a nice flat, stretch of good level paving on a dry day. You want to just barely get lockup travelling at 20-25mph with manual trailer brake activation. That's your starting point and you can tune from there to your liking. In real world travel, you're constantly adjusting the trailer brake gain based on road type, weather conditions, how hot your brakes are, etc. The RAM IBC is more akin to 90s-era controllers versus inertia-based, set and forget controllers dominating the aftermarket of today. However, the RAM IBCs work fine once you understand what you are working with and also appreciate they force you to keep your trailer brake system up to snuff because they're not forgiving.
this is an issue with the truck. both mine, and the original poster have the same issue. trailer brakes stop working automatically below 15mph. they will stillengage manually though...

Mikeplogan

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution? My truck is doing this as well

RamFan2019

Reaction score
FYI - just got home from a tow today, noticed this exact same problem with my truck as well. I have my systems set to light electric and gain set to 10.0 and still cannot get the trailer brakes to lockup at 20MPH. Seems to be OK stopping up to 15MPH but can definitely feel the trailer brakes cut out below 15MPH.
Anyone have a fix for this?

Mikeplogan

Reaction score
FYI - just got home from a tow today, noticed this exact same problem with my truck as well. I have my systems set to light electric and gain set to 10.0 and still cannot get the trailer brakes to lockup at 20MPH. Seems to be OK stopping up to 15MPH but can definitely feel the trailer brakes cut out below 15MPH.
Anyone have a fix for this?
I’ve been trying to get an answer out of someone as well. Let me know if you figure anything out. My dealer said to bring it in with the trailer but I’m a landscaper and can’t be without a trailer until winter. It’s driving me nuts.

RamFan2019

Reaction score
@RamCares - can you please check out this thread and comment/help on this?
It seems all of our Factory Brake controllers are cutting out the trailer brakes at 15MPH and under...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get an answer out of someone as well. Let me know if you figure anything out. My dealer said to bring it in with the trailer but I’m a landscaper and can’t be without a trailer until winter. It’s driving me nuts.
@RamCares - can you please check out this thread and comment/help on this?
It seems all of our Factory Brake controllers are cutting out the trailer brakes at 15MPH and under...

Hi @Mikeplogan & @RamFan2019 - If you are willing to move forward with addressing this with your dealers, I would be more than happy to ensure that you have further support for that process. Our team is just a private message away to get the case escalation process started.

Mark
RamCares

RAM5

Reaction score
On my factory Trailer Brakes UConnect under settings I have
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
Trailer 3
Trailer 4

does each setting adjust the trailer brakes for specific tow loads?
thanks for any help.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
You could set this up for different trailers or for the same trailer in different conditions (empty, loaded, wet roads, etc).

RAM5

Reaction score
You could set this up for different trailers or for the same trailer in different conditions (empty, loaded, wet roads, etc).
Well, I didn’t know that. I need to get my owners manual out of the flip box and read more about it.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/