5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory paint defect... need advice if I should repaint

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Soon after purchasing my truck I noticed a paint defect on the passenger side door. It is between the door handle and the window trim. Its really only noticeable when looking at the truck from a hard angle. If I didnt tell you it was there you would probably never know. The area is about 2"x1" and is underneath the clear coat. It appears slightly darker and with light scuff marks.

When I had the truck at a local dealer (not purchased there) for a recall I had them look at it since they have a body shop. They said the door would have to repainted under warranty. I question if it will be worth it to have the door repainted. I worry about the paint not matching and other finishing issues. If RAM would give me $500 bucks instead of the paint job I would probably take the cash.

Should I have the door repainted?
If you t
Soon after purchasing my truck I noticed a paint defect on the passenger side door. It is between the door handle and the window trim. Its really only noticeable when looking at the truck from a hard angle. If I didnt tell you it was there you would probably never know. The area is about 2"x1" and is underneath the clear coat. It appears slightly darker and with light scuff marks.

When I had the truck at a local dealer (not purchased there) for a recall I had them look at it since they have a body shop. They said the door would have to repainted under warranty. I question if it will be worth it to have the door repainted. I worry about the paint not matching and other finishing issues. If RAM would give me $500 bucks instead of the paint job I would probably take the cash.

if you ever sell the truck, an experienced dealer will run a special detector over your paint to determine if anything has been repainted, e.g. as in wrecked. This is very evident by the thickness of the paint that is not detected by the naked eye. Could cause reduced value in a trade/sell. I agree with most of the others, if only you know it’s there, accept it.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
If you t

if you ever sell the truck, an experienced dealer will run a special detector over your paint to determine if anything has been repainted, e.g. as in wrecked. This is very evident by the thickness of the paint that is not detected by the naked eye. Could cause reduced value in a trade/sell. I agree with most of the others, if only you know it’s there, accept it.
Forgot to add, I would seek some kind of compensation

ramhead

Reaction score
Forgot to add, I would seek some kind of compensation

Could try but I doubt the dealer/FCA will offer any monetary compensation....they'll only authorize a body shop repaint, take it or leave it. I also don't think the dealer can offer accessories, etc. in trade for a warranty claim since there is no method or documentation to sign off on something like in lieu of the authorized fix.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Could try but I doubt the dealer/FCA will offer any monetary compensation....they'll only authorize a body shop repaint, take it or leave it. I also don't think the dealer can offer accessories, etc. in trade for a warranty claim since there is no method or documentation to sign off on something like in lieu of the authorized fix.
True. But I guess It couldn’t hurt to ask.

KRField

Reaction score

They will offer a service contract, some truck payments, and accessories to satisfy. I dealt with a region rep with my 17 that had some defects. They know that messing with paint and body can cause a slew of other issues and hard to complete satisfactory. My dealer had me deal directly with the region rep with it. However YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah...ummm...NO.

Sure, a body shop may be able to match the paint and even make it look good but regarding the paint process/integrity it's not going to be close to what the factory does or the steps taken in paint job from the factory. Now, arguably, if you're only going to keep the truck for a few years and sell it then it may not be an issue but if you're a long term owner I wouldn't consider it. I speak from experience....on another car I had the dealer refinish the hood..looked good for years but then the clearcoat started oxidizing and looked cloudy. It also didn't "pop" like the factory job and looked less deep in color. Again....maybe a custom pro paint shop that does show cars, etc can do a top level job but that's going to cost a huge sum (plus the dealer isn't going to pay for that).

Anyway...here is a link to the modern day factory paint process (and photo of included chart)...I can tell you NO dealer body shop goes thru the process the factory does....dealer will just surface sand it, use a binding primer, paint coat & clearcoat /final buffout....that is all.

View attachment 32785
My personal experience with a 2006 silver Honda Accord is as you describe except the out come is far worst than your scenario. I feel like giving the "body shop" advertisement on the job they did. It appears as if their "spray job" is coming off in layers.

Last edited:

drstein

Reaction score
Apparently nothing has changed. I worked at a GM dealer for 7 yrs in the 80s. Used to cringe if one of my customer ordered cars had to go to the body shop. Talk about colors NOT matching, it was frightening.

Devildg4671

Reaction score
I have the same issue with a spot exactly the same on the hood. It drives me insane, to pay 50k for a truck with a blemish. The dealership told me the body shop mentioned it looked like someone tried wet sanding it and that the warranty would not cover it.

snj1013

Reaction score
Yeah...ummm...NO.

Sure, a body shop may be able to match the paint and even make it look good but regarding the paint process/integrity it's not going to be close to what the factory does or the steps taken in paint job from the factory. Now, arguably, if you're only going to keep the truck for a few years and sell it then it may not be an issue but if you're a long term owner I wouldn't consider it. I speak from experience....on another car I had the dealer refinish the hood..looked good for years but then the clearcoat started oxidizing and looked cloudy. It also didn't "pop" like the factory job and looked less deep in color. Again....maybe a custom pro paint shop that does show cars, etc can do a top level job but that's going to cost a huge sum (plus the dealer isn't going to pay for that).

Anyway...here is a link to the modern day factory paint process (and photo of included chart)...I can tell you NO dealer body shop goes thru the process the factory does....dealer will just surface sand it, use a binding primer, paint coat & clearcoat /final buffout....that is all.

View attachment 32785
I've worked in an automotive paint department, and some of the steps listed aren't performed. All the sanding and cleaning steps aren't routinely done. Only defects are sanded. A good paint job is one where the workers didn't have to step in a make repairs.

Back to the OP's question, the defect looks like a sanding mar to me. Basically an area where a defect was sanded by hand in one direction, leaving very minute scratches in the primer. The mica (the metallic substance in the paint) lays on edge in these sand scratches rather than lying on end, which causes a different reflective property than the surrounding area, making the mar look to be a different color. The defect isn't going to get worse, but once you see it, it will always bother you. After looking at 500-700 paint jobs a day for many years, I can spot issues like this in a matter seconds. My recommendation is to have the area spot blended. I would not have the shop repaint the entire door.

Good luck and post your end result if you do decide to get the area repaired.

RamLink83

Reaction score

Any resolution to this issue. I have a paint defect that was just noticed as well and I'd rather not have the door fully repainted. I would rather be compensated for the defect. Ram must have crappy Quality Control to let vehicles leave the factory with issues like this. I'm pissed that I missed my defect when I picked it up. It really only shows up like in the pic below when it's cloudy or getting dark. When it's sunny it basically disappears when looking at it without a ladder.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_123655.jpg
    IMG_20191231_123655.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 25

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Any resolution to this issue. I have a paint defect that was just noticed as well and I'd rather not have the door fully repainted. I would rather be compensated for the defect. Ram must have crappy Quality Control to let vehicles leave the factory with issues like this. I'm pissed that I missed my defect when I picked it up. It really only shows up like in the pic below when it's cloudy or getting dark. When it's sunny it basically disappears when looking at it without a ladder.

I'm assuming that's in the paint under the clear coat? Because from the photo it looks like an exterior scuff.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Any resolution to this issue. ...

They would repaint the door under warranty. I asked if I could get an extended warranty in lieu of the paint work and was denied. I did get 3 free oil changes for my time.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I'm assuming that's in the paint under the clear coat? Because from the photo it looks like an exterior scuff.
It's under the clear. It really looks like a touch up job on a scratch, but when you get up close you can see that it's under the clear. It's totally smooth.

RamLink83

Reaction score
They would repaint the door under warranty. I asked if I could get an extended warranty in lieu of the paint work and was denied. I did get 3 free oil changes for my time.
Too bad they wouldn't give the warranty. I'd take that over painting the door. I really don't want to deal with a paint job on a brand new truck. I'm considering just leaving as is, since painting could open up a whole new can of worms.

RamCares

Reaction score

Hey RamLink83,

Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck! If you do end up addressing this with your dealer and any additional support is needed for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the same type of issue...a smudge mark in two spots underneath the clear coat. I finally noticed it after 8 months because of my LED headlamp when to was dark...I have since then document it with the FCA....

I was advised to live with the defect because supposedly the factory paint job is superior to that of a local shop or most local shops.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This would bother me to no end. If it were me, I'd have it fixed.
You shouldn't have to live with a defect from a brand new vehicle. If they don't do it right, then make it re-do it until done right.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Get it fixed. That would drive me nuts. I assume its warranty work so make it the dealers problem if it looks worse once its 'fixed'. Goodluck, I hope it works out.

mikerbahn

Reaction score
You would be surprised how powerful the customer voice is these days...especially with Social Media.

Users who are viewing this thread