5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory paint defect... need advice if I should repaint

gpbst3

Reaction score
Soon after purchasing my truck I noticed a paint defect on the passenger side door. It is between the door handle and the window trim. Its really only noticeable when looking at the truck from a hard angle. If I didnt tell you it was there you would probably never know. The area is about 2"x1" and is underneath the clear coat. It appears slightly darker and with light scuff marks.

When I had the truck at a local dealer (not purchased there) for a recall I had them look at it since they have a body shop. They said the door would have to repainted under warranty. I question if it will be worth it to have the door repainted. I worry about the paint not matching and other finishing issues. If RAM would give me $500 bucks instead of the paint job I would probably take the cash.

Should I have the door repainted?

Attachments

• 20190803_062141.jpg
    20190803_062141.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20190803_062228.jpg
    20190803_062228.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 20190803_062252.jpg
    20190803_062252.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 20190804_121517.jpg
    20190804_121517.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

KRField

Reaction score
My best advice is leave it alone. You can open Pandora’s box messing with stuff like that. Unless you have a super trusted Guy to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was me, it would drive me nuts, so I would have it repainted. If you don’t care and they compensate you to your satisfaction then don’t repaint. I would bet they can do a good job on the repaint though.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
You will notice it every time you look at the truck. Eventually you will have to be institutionalized due to insanity.

Get it painted while the offer stands.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have one as well, luckily for me it's on the roof so not easy to see. Same thing, circle slightly darker than the rest of the paint. I got it noted and if it doesn't get worse, I'll leave it alone. However yours is in a very noticeable area.

If it's not that easy to see, say only in certain light level or angle, I would hold off on breaking factory paint and have it noted. You can always fix it anytime before your warranty period ends if it still bothers you.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think taking the money is an option because the dealer isn't paying for it, it's a warranty option being covered by FCA. You might as well paint it because it will probably bother you now that you know it's there. Just make sure they use a top notch body shop. Top notch. Hopeful it doesn't show on car fax but save receipt just in case so you can show it wasn't an accident and only paint defect

R

Rob5589

Look at it this way; what will bother you more, the current imperfection, or the larger imperfection when they attempt to match by hand, a factory sprayed coating? No matter how great of a job they do, it is always noticeable to someone with a trained eye. Or the owner that knows where it is...

Firebird

Reaction score
I had a factory defect fixed on my wife's 2012 Chrysler, they did a good job, but it wasn't as good as factory.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Look at it this way; what will bother you more, the current imperfection, or the larger imperfection when they attempt to match by hand, a factory sprayed coating? No matter how great of a job they do, it is always noticeable to someone with a trained eye. Or the owner that knows where it is...
Yeah...my fear isn’t that they wouldn’t match the paint color, as they should be able to do that, but rather that they won’t match the factory texture (i.e. “orange peel”). Ironically, while we’d like to avoid orange peel, it’ll be very noticeable if the repainted door is significantly smoother than the rest of the body. I’d discuss this in detail with a body shop and ask if they’ll be willing do a mock-up on a test piece for comparison.

79 300

Reaction score
I would leave it alone. Like some others have said, you will have a whole list of new flaws if they paint the entire door. It looks like some touch- up was done at the factory, very common.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Don't do it. You clearly have an eye for catching discrepancies. If you paint that entire door, you're discrepancy will simply grow from 2"x1" to the entire door. It will not match and forever going forward you will know that the door doesn't match, you'll know that everyone else can see that your door doesn't match, and you'll always be sitting at red lights knowing everyone is looking at you and your door that doesn't match. Something you are clearly self conscious about and painting that door will just make it worse.

You ever see a car sitting at a red light where the door or front/rear quarter panels don't match the rest of the car, that'll be you.

You'll be better off putting a few dents and scratches on the thing and then you'll no longer worry about this particular imperfection.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was already leaning towards leaving it go and needed some reinforcement. Like I said its only noticeable from certain angles.

ramhead

Reaction score
Yeah.....leave it. Despite what some might tell you, you will NEVER get as good a paint job as factory unless maybe going to an experienced pro at a 5 star custom paint shop that'll be very expensive.....And you're not going to get that kind of expertise/service from a dealer body shop.

Plus, even though it's there (I couldn't tell where it was until you pointed it out) it's on the passenger side so....how often are you really going to see it?

guinnesslover

Reaction score
I would definitely get it done for the reasons listed above. Any good body shop will match is so you wouldn't be able to tell. I had a scrape on my 2015 1500 on the tailgate. When the body shop was done, you could not tell there was ever any work done. So, I wouldn't let the fear of it not matching be the deciding factor.

drstein

Reaction score
I would definitely get it done for the reasons listed above. Any good body shop will match is so you wouldn't be able to tell. I had a scrape on my 2015 1500 on the tailgate. When the body shop was done, you could not tell there was ever any work done. So, I wouldn't let the fear of it not matching be the deciding factor.
I think "not matching " IS the factor. You have alot of faith in body shops. I too am an optimist, but also a realist. Think of it as going to Court. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. Or just don't break Factory Paint.....

drstein

Reaction score
Yeah...my fear isn’t that they wouldn’t match the paint color, as they should be able to do that, but rather that they won’t match the factory texture (i.e. “orange peel”). Ironically, while we’d like to avoid orange peel, it’ll be very noticeable if the repainted door is significantly smoother than the rest of the body. I’d discuss this in detail with a body shop and ask if they’ll be willing do a mock-up on a test piece for comparison.
Orange peel, funny. My second thought after "Geat color" was " Still with the orange peel paint, thought by now we'd be past that, apparently not.

ramhead

Reaction score

Yeah...ummm...NO.

Sure, a body shop may be able to match the paint and even make it look good but regarding the paint process/integrity it's not going to be close to what the factory does or the steps taken in paint job from the factory. Now, arguably, if you're only going to keep the truck for a few years and sell it then it may not be an issue but if you're a long term owner I wouldn't consider it. I speak from experience....on another car I had the dealer refinish the hood..looked good for years but then the clearcoat started oxidizing and looked cloudy. It also didn't "pop" like the factory job and looked less deep in color. Again....maybe a custom pro paint shop that does show cars, etc can do a top level job but that's going to cost a huge sum (plus the dealer isn't going to pay for that).

Anyway...here is a link to the modern day factory paint process (and photo of included chart)...I can tell you NO dealer body shop goes thru the process the factory does....dealer will just surface sand it, use a binding primer, paint coat & clearcoat /final buffout....that is all.

Last edited:
R

Rob5589

Big difference between a tailgate and a door. The tailgate basically sits between the tail lights so mismatched paint goes virtually unnoticed. A big door, between another door/bedside/fender, will be noticeable if not a 100% exact match in color and texture.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned but Billet Silver is one of the hardest colors to match. The body shop would probably have to blend it into the rear door as well. I would leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread