5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory paint defect... need advice if I should repaint

gmpenn

Reaction score
I have the same issue with a spot exactly the same on the hood. It drives me insane, to pay 50k for a truck with a blemish. The dealership told me the body shop mentioned it looked like someone tried wet sanding it and that the warranty would not cover it.
Contact F.C.A. I am going thru a similar issue I went back to the dealer the next day they said they took pictures and submitted a claim so they said, after a month I contacted F.C.A. and now I have a case # and they called the Dealer who said their body shop Manager dropped the ball but they don't have a body shop they outsource. F.C.A has already called me twice in this week to follow-up .

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally would let it alone, silver is a hard color to match and even if they get it close as the paint ages the color difference will likely be greater as the paint will fade at different rates.

Jonnybow

Reaction score
I have a similar issue on my driver's door, there are 2 spots very similar in size and shape. Mine is white and the truck is new. I noticed it almost immediately after bringing the truck home. I'm going to discuss it when I bring it in for it's first service.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a similar issue on my driver's door, there are 2 spots very similar in size and shape. Mine is white and the truck is new. I noticed it almost immediately after bringing the truck home. I'm going to discuss it when I bring it in for it's first service.

Hi Jonnybow,

If you are in need of any additional support when you do address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to reach out to us privately.

Mark
RamCares

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Soon after purchasing my truck I noticed a paint defect on the passenger side door. It is between the door handle and the window trim. Its really only noticeable when looking at the truck from a hard angle. If I didnt tell you it was there you would probably never know. The area is about 2"x1" and is underneath the clear coat. It appears slightly darker and with light scuff marks.

When I had the truck at a local dealer (not purchased there) for a recall I had them look at it since they have a body shop. They said the door would have to repainted under warranty. I question if it will be worth it to have the door repainted. I worry about the paint not matching and other finishing issues. If RAM would give me $500 bucks instead of the paint job I would probably take the cash.

Should I have the door repainted?
The spot looks like it is the color layer and cleared over. If they repair the spot, they will take apart the front and rear door to finish the front door and blend the rear door. Because of the color and where it is located they have to blend the rear door. Silver metallic is one of the most difficult colors to paint. If anyone paints a panel, no matter how much care is taken and the paint booth is brand new- there will be some dirt in the paint. Most of them do color sand and buff out beyond most peoples vision but any bodyman or painter can tell a panel has been painted. Most polishers try to buff the panel to the same orange peel from the factory but most cannot. It is on the right side and not that noticeable, I would leave it. Tuff call though

Users who are viewing this thread