5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Halogen Headlights and Fog Lights to Factory LED Swap

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
hey question. doing the conversion. I know you need a harness for the front headlights (getting mine fom retroshop) But.... the tail lights. do thoughs need a harness or no? its just plug it with the old harness from factory?
I'm guessing yes. I have seen aftermarket LED taillights, and they said to replace factory LED, or non LED, for different models.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I'm guessing yes. I have seen aftermarket LED taillights, and they said to replace factory LED, or non LED, for different models.
not quite understanding brother. im going from the ugly halogens to OEM led. would i need the harness for the led or does the harness already there work? i saw a video on youtube and searched here to see if you need it and didnt look like it, BUT on the retro shop site, and ONLY that site. it says it comes with two harnesses for each light so now i was kinda confused and couldnt find in the LED swap threads if they used one or not. so just want to make sure before they come in, it doesnt work and i get annoyed lol
thank you for the help.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
not quite understanding brother. im going from the ugly halogens to OEM led. would i need the harness for the led or does the harness already there work? i saw a video on youtube and searched here to see if you need it and didnt look like it, BUT on the retro shop site, and ONLY that site. it says it comes with two harnesses for each light so now i was kinda confused and couldnt find in the LED swap threads if they used one or not. so just want to make sure before they come in, it doesnt work and i get annoyed lol
thank you for the help.
The LED tail lights will swap in and plug right into your truck with no adapter harnesses.
You will need to use AlfaOBD to change some settings if you want the turn signals to function correctly when the brake lights are in use.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
thank you for the help.
Evidently, according to Jimmy07, you don't, but when shopping for aftermarket LED tail lights, the LED tail lights I saw listed different models, whether the truck had factory LEDs, or it had non LED tail lights. Maybe the aftermarket ones, if it didn't have factory LEDs, will work without changing settings with Alfa.

Reaction score
Good morning
I was going to do the led headlight swap today with jimmy07 harness at my workplace, however I forgot my obd adapter n gateway bypass at home. Would there be any risk or concerns if I do the swap and then reprogram when I get home
Thanks I'm advance

antcliffram

Reaction score
Just completed this upgrade. The fascia pieces were an absolute bear, especially if you have bigger hands. Not sure but I think a 90 degree impact driver would work to remove the grille with the fascia at once. Outside of the hour I spent wrestling the fascia, the DIY is not too bad. Do not attempt without the proper tools. Parts prices are way up from the time of the original post. Found a couple of pre-owned lights for a fraction of the cost. The zipties Retroshop supply are garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online