5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Halogen Headlights and Fog Lights to Factory LED Swap

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck wouldn’t start because you are suppose to add a 15amp fuse into the fuse tap per retroshop instructions.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
This is fantastic! Really appreciate this. I went aftermarket with headlights (VLAND - Big Mistake) and I am now looking for OEM.

I agree its a pain in the *** to find the right part numbers for the right headlight set ups

Anyone know the part numbers that will fit a Big Horn 2021 that are NOT black inside? The OP wanted the black edition ones. I just want the regular ones like you see on Laramies -

1646875559185.png

Mtonzelli81

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory halogen lights (fog and headlight) with factory LEDs on my 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horne Night edition. I think most of this information is in the forum but I couldn't find it all in one post. Maybe this will help someone. I am supper happy with how it turned out.

- LED factory headlight fixtures (black) from BAM - $1,090 plus $30 shipping

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68533275AB​
Headlamp, Left​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​
68533274AB​
Headlamp, Right​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​

- Headlamp harness from Retroshop - $175 free shipping
- LED factory fog light kit from Infotainment - $324.95 free shipping

Notes:
- Infotainment has excellent videos for the installation of the headlamps and another for the fog lights. Watch them a few times.
- Take your time on removing the fascia (the painted piece below the headlight). The last clip is tough (the most inboard one). Don't pull it. You will break it.
- It is much easier to replace the fog lights if you have the headlight assemblies removed. The access is better.
- Make sure all of your connectors lock together. Some of them had to be squeezed together pretty hard to get them to click. I saw a few posts on flashing lights and now wonder if there was loose connection that caused it.
- After I put the fuse tap in for the headlight harness the truck would not start with lots of warning lights. The fuse tap has room for two fuses but only one installed. I moved the fuse from one slot to the other on the tap and everything worked fine. I am still not sure what that was about.
- For the fog lights you have to use the programmer Infotainment sends you. It is a pain to unhook the security module and plug in the bypass unit. If you lay on the driver's floor and look straight up behind the headlight switch you will see it.
- You also have to switch the pins on the fog light connectors. I don't know why. But I followed the directions in the video and this pretty easy.
- I triggered a check engine light in the process. Not sure how or why. I think it was a P0100 code. I reset it with my cheapy reader and it has not come back.
- There is a lot of plastic you have to deal with throughout the installs. Be gentle. If you have to pry or push hard you are doing something wrong.

I hope this helps som

Mtonzelli81

Reaction score
I made the mistake of man-handling the lower facia pieces like you mentioned. Could just not figure out how to get them out gently without breaking the last clip. Well, I broke….both of them. Everything seemed to go back together ok and snug enough. Time will tell if it’s an issue.

VAVTX

Reaction score
I made the mistake of man-handling the lower facia pieces like you mentioned. Could just not figure out how to get them out gently without breaking the last clip. Well, I broke….both of them. Everything seemed to go back together ok and snug enough. Time will tell if it’s an issue.
I think they are pretty easy to break. Hopefully the other clips will keep them tight. Are you happy with your lights? I am. No regrets!

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
So I needed to AGAIN pull apart the front to replace a bad VLAND left side headlight this weekend. I recall the first time I did this, I like you broke two of the clips (the ones closest to the grill) for that painted fascia panel.

This time around, I heated the remaining bits/stubs with a lighter, then pressed them onto my benchvise to "flatten" the ends a little bit to give them a bulge. I did this so that when I go to reinsert, it will be tight and less resistant to pop out. Worked great.

StealthTech6

Reaction score
Should have gotten the headlight harness from Jimmy07, then your headlights work just like factory, no fuse tap to mess with.
Is there a thread with this info somewhere? I'm looking to change my 22 halogens to factory led.

Does using Jimmy's harness require programming?

Clv22p

Reaction score
Is there a thread with this info somewhere? I'm looking to change my 22 halogens to factory led.

Does using Jimmy's harness require programming?
Jimmys harness does require programming. His harness is the same as factory. Others use resistors and/or fuse taps

StealthTech6

Reaction score
Jimmys harness does require programming. His harness is the same as factory. Others use resistors and/or fuse taps
Thanks. Is there a thread to check out on "how-to"? I would prefer this solution over adding a retrofit harness.

StealthTech6

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory halogen lights (fog and headlight) with factory LEDs on my 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horne Night edition. I think most of this information is in the forum but I couldn't find it all in one post. Maybe this will help someone. I am supper happy with how it turned out.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68533275AB​
Headlamp, Left​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​
68533274AB​
Headlamp, Right​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​

Notes:
- Infotainment has excellent videos for the installation of the headlamps and another for the fog lights. Watch them a few times.
- Take your time on removing the fascia (the painted piece below the headlight). The last clip is tough (the most inboard one). Don't pull it. You will break it.
- It is much easier to replace the fog lights if you have the headlight assemblies removed. The access is better.
- Make sure all of your connectors lock together. Some of them had to be squeezed together pretty hard to get them to click. I saw a few posts on flashing lights and now wonder if there was loose connection that caused it.
- After I put the fuse tap in for the headlight harness the truck would not start with lots of warning lights. The fuse tap has room for two fuses but only one installed. I moved the fuse from one slot to the other on the tap and everything worked fine. I am still not sure what that was about.
- For the fog lights you have to use the programmer Infotainment sends you. It is a pain to unhook the security module and plug in the bypass unit. If you lay on the driver's floor and look straight up behind the headlight switch you will see it.
- You also have to switch the pins on the fog light connectors. I don't know why. But I followed the directions in the video and this pretty easy.
- I triggered a check engine light in the process. Not sure how or why. I think it was a P0100 code. I reset it with my cheapy reader and it has not come back.
- There is a lot of plastic you have to deal with throughout the installs. Be gentle. If you have to pry or push hard you are doing something wrong.

I hope this helps someone!

How did you handle the extra headlight connector on either side? Infotainment mentions here at 10min 15 sec in,

Just tuck it back as infotainment suggests? That seems ripe for corrosion.

VAVTX

Reaction score
How did you handle the extra headlight connector on either side? Infotainment mentions here at 10min 15 sec in,

Just tuck it back as infotainment suggests? That seems ripe for corrosion.
I honestly don’t remember. I likely packed it full of dielectric grease. I used it liberally for all of the connectors.

VAVTX

Reaction score
Just an update…. Or confirmation…. The retroshop harness allows the DRLs to be turned on and off through the radio screen. So they seem fully functional and controllable to me. With the factory led fog lights install….the cornering lights are also enabled as designed. With the turn signals or turning at low speed. Hope this helps!

tlewis

Reaction score
This is fantastic! Really appreciate this. I went aftermarket with headlights (VLAND - Big Mistake) and I am now looking for OEM.

I agree its a pain in the *** to find the right part numbers for the right headlight set ups

Anyone know the part numbers that will fit a Big Horn 2021 that are NOT black inside? The OP wanted the black edition ones. I just want the regular ones like you see on Laramies -

View attachment 122810
i had the issue had vlands and they flickered bad some times

tlewis

Reaction score
so i did this swap today now i have a bunch of warnings on dash .but my truck does start and run.

Jagthunder

Reaction score
Anyone have the part number for the chrome factory LED headlights? Haven’t seen a response yet.

dadtired

Reaction score
Anyone have the part number for the chrome factory LED headlights? Haven’t seen a response yet.

Try these as a start. Mopar has started shuffling part numbers around. These should be the mid level with the chrome bezel.

Drivers side: 68533273AB
Passenger side: 68533274AB

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68533275AB​
Headlamp, Left​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​
68533274AB​
Headlamp, Right​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​

Notes:

I hope this helps someone!
hey question. doing the conversion. I know you need a harness for the front headlights (getting mine fom retroshop) But.... the tail lights. do thoughs need a harness or no? its just plug it with the old harness from factory?

Users who are viewing this thread