5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Garage Door Opener /Led Lights

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has any one ran into the issue of the Factory garage door opener not working when you have a garage with LED overhead Lights on? If my LED overhead lights are on in the garage the door opener in the truck will not open the electric garage doors. But when the lights in the garage are off, the door opener in the truck works the over head doors perfectly. So annoying. Many people who work with electric tell me its does effect frequencies on garage door openers but no solution.My garage door motors are both late model Chamberlin's. Went to Chamberlin web site but no information found. Emailed Chamberlins but no response at all.

tolh13

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but i have seen LED light bulbs for garage door openers that say will not interfere with openers. not sure if it was lowes of home depot

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
I experienced this same problem and it’s annoying to say the least. Had to go with a bright incandescent to fix the issue. Also told it was the frequency from the LED causing the issue.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
After a quick search it looks like cheap bulbs cause this problem. Probably why I experienced the interference since I was using the Walmart specials.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to wonder if the LED color temp could also affect this? Maybe sending out a different frequency?? That doesn't fix your issue but something to look into?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bbought the 10 Foot fixtures with double rows of LED bulbs within the clear Plastic fixtures from the Power Company. They are very fast when turning on lights ,very bright and not too expensive about 30 bucks a 10 foot Fixture. Very bright! Really like them but they are interfering with the Truck door opener. The remote door opener for the Chamberlin doors works fine, only an issue with the truck door opener when the lights on. The actual single LED bulb in the Garage door opener motor housing works great on both door, so its clearly the ceiling fixtures.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to wonder if the LED color temp could also affect this? Maybe sending out a different frequency?? That doesn't fix your issue but something to look into?
I'm 100% convinced its a frequency issue from the over head fixtures interfering with the mopar opener in the truck. just not sure if there is a fix for it. Very annoying when you want to pull truck out of garage to find out with motor running the door will not open until you get out turn over head lights out! If some one is in garage upon arrival in the truck door will not open cause they have lights on in garage,

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very annoying when you want to pull truck out of garage to find out with motor running the door will not open until you get out turn over head lights out! If some one is in garage upon arrival in the truck door will not open cause they have lights on in garage,

I know the routine. For some reason, when I hook up my boat to my truck, my garage door must go into a safety mode because I'm in the path of the sensor too long. So when I pull the boat out, the remote on the truck won't trigger it, I have to go back to the opener inside. 1st world problems I guess.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update to any who posted or had issues with garage doors and lights. Install " MyQ" solved the entire issue. Opens doors from any where with use of smart phone with lights on in garage or off and if "tend Cam" is installed on back wall you can see the doors are open or closed from any where!.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should not have to install MyQ to get your garage door to work correctly. I have over 10 LED bulbs in my garage ceiling and I also have an LED bulb installed INSIDE each garage door opener. I have never had an issue with my garage doors at all over the last 2 years.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I connected my LiftMaster opener (which had MyQ built in) to my alarm system so that I could tie it into everything else using the Alarm.com app (rather than the 1-trick MyQ app). But I almost never use this to raise/lower the garage door; it just ensures that the garage door is down when the system is armed.

Note: I’ve not encountered any issues with LEDs, despite them being all around the garage. The HomeLink range on my truck is at least 200’...I consider it excellent.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I have the led lights on and try to open the garage door with Chamberlin garage door openers it will not work. If I turn the lights off the doors open just fine. So I bought a MYQ for the garage door openers and open them that way. If some one left the lights on in the garage or is in the garage with lights on when I leave MYQ works fine. Seems no one could tell me why or how to solve the issue at Chamberlin for the garage (both are older openers).They did tell me what I alreday knew that the frequency from the leds lights were interfering with the openers. Built new pole barn last year and put a lift master in pole barn on one end and Chamberlin on the other end with same led lights in the pole barn that I have in the garage with no issues on either door only two things are different: 1....MyQ is built in both new pole barn openers door! 2. The Pole barn is all metal. Ha ha its crazy!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I have the led lights on and try to open the garage door with Chamberlin garage door openers it will not work. If I turn the lights off the doors open just fine. So I bought a MYQ for the garage door openers and open them that way. If some one left the lights on in the garage or is in the garage with lights on when I leave MYQ works fine. Seems no one could tell me why or how to solve the issue at Chamberlin for the garage (both are older openers).They did tell me what I alreday knew that the frequency from the leds lights were interfering with the openers. Built new pole barn last year and put a lift master in pole barn on one end and Chamberlin on the other end with same led lights in the pole barn that I have in the garage with no issues on either door only two things are different: 1....MyQ is built in both new pole barn openers door! 2. The Pole barn is all metal. Ha ha its crazy!
Sounds like you’ve confirmed this issue only affects your older opener(s).

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve confirmed this issue only affects your older opener(s).
Worked great until I put new LED lights in the garage and took out my old florescent ones. So the issue is with the LED lights in my opinion and a non metal building. MyQ is much cheaper than two new garage door openers! LOL.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Worked great until I put new LED lights in the garage and took out my old florescent ones. So the issue is with the LED lights in my opinion and a non metal building. MyQ is much cheaper than two new garage door openers! LOL.
Yes - must be the specific LEDs you installed. And yes, the app is certainly a cheaper solution :)

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I’ve had MyQ since it’s inception, two different openers, one old and one brand new. The new Chamberlain has the built in LED’s which are awesome, and my garage has recessed LED lighting, 24 of them actually. Neither interfere with Homelink in any of my vehicles. I’m heavy into home automation and mainly use MyQ to confirm I didn’t forget to shut the garage doors when I leave. Same with my door locks from Schlage.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes - must be the specific LEDs you installed. And yes, the app is certainly a cheaper solution :)
For sure. The lights was well worth the trouble of the door openers they are so nice over those dinosaur fluorescents! :)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had MyQ since it’s inception, two different openers, one old and one brand new. The new Chamberlain has the built in LED’s which are awesome, and my garage has recessed LED lighting, 24 of them actually. Neither interfere with Homelink in any of my vehicles. I’m heavy into home automation and mainly use MyQ to confirm I didn’t forget to shut the garage doors when I leave. Same with my door locks from Schlage.
Yes Sir I can relate! I have the door lock Schlages on all outside doors and the myQ is a great add on that solved the problem with what ever frequency issues the LED lights are throwing out. Many times before MYQ I had to go back see if I closed the door! The annoying drive back or call home if some was there and check garage door days are far behind now! LOL. When my old Chamberlins stop working will put up new belt drives like we did this past year in the new pole barn with MYQ built in the opener. The smaller door in the new barn is not a Chamberlin but I like it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread