5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 to RAM

Kaydee

Reaction score
Toyota quality isn't what it used to be, they're no better or worse than the other mainstream brands anymore. The new Tacoma was full of issues when it first came out, and I've heard a lot about issues with their other vehicles as well. Most Toyota owners just don't think anything of it, they will keep taking the car into the shop and still believe it's more reliable than anything else. Toyotas customer service though, is very good. This likely helps the perception.

Every Toyota I've been in has also felt incredibly cheap (to me anyways).
I Know Toyota has some good engineering but I also found really cheap quality interiors in a lot of japanese cars and trucks ...very hard and light plasticy feel

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth between the 2 brands for about 15 years now. I like both. Their redesign schedules are apart so I'm able to get a fresh design every 2 years or so that I swap trucks.

I just traded a 2016 F150 King Ranch 4X4 Ecoboost for this Ram Limited 4X4.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well :) They made 190,00 2016 Tacos and carcomplaints has 120 complaints - so yes not scientific at all.

358 Complaints, Majority being major things such as engine, transmission and drivetrain. Thats also just one example.

Consumer reports (Usually Toyota fanboys) calls 2017 Tacoma worst buy: https://www.torquenews.com/1083/con...oma-worst-buy-here-s-what-really-bothers-them

There are a lot of other examples too, but this thread is now off track, it's not a bash Toyota thread. I do believe I've proven my point though that they aren't as good as they used to be.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Toyota Trucks are not anywhere near the quality some think. Plus they are archaic tech. They have MANY issues from bad rear end bearings to electrical issues to many others. I hear about them all the time. My brother is a master Toyota tech and he said the new tacoma has been a nightmare for Toyota. I owned my Ram from 2013 and its been solid. I just did the front brakes at 80k miles and third set of tires. I have had Fords for years. My first truck ever was a 96 Ford ranger. Had rangers until I got my first f150 and kept that until I got an F250 and then went Ram and it was a huge change for me. The 13 interior felt incredible compared to the Ford. The engine has plenty of power. Nit picky things for me were the headlights on the projector trucks are TERRIBLE. I don't know how FCA allowed that or how they met minimum requirements. They are so dim. I had to get HID from Retroshop.

I have never been in GM truck but they have never even peaked my interest. Ram with the 2019 has really done an incredible job. I don't know where these reviewers say FCA quality is bad. Fords have had many issues. I feel like FCA in general has really done a great job improving overall quality of its brands. I think a lot of us tend to relate our dealer experience to the brand and that is not always fair because we have bad experiences at the dealer and just write off the brand as a whole. I go to shops and know there are people in there that have no business being in there but techs are in such demand they cant fill positions.

My 13 sold me on my 19. I feel at this point ill be a Ram truck owner from now going forward unless something drastic happens. I do wish Ram had some other engine options but they will have the EcoDiesel soon and the E-torque will be interesting. I do like Ford having the TTV6 option. That would be a nice option for Ram.

Right now Ram trucks are the nicest trucks in my opinion plus the engine is identical to the previous years so its solid and not experimental. The 8 speed is refreshed but has been in trucks since 13-14 so thats nice. Fords right now are hating the 10 speed. They are having tremendous issues with those. I know a lot of choices out there and you can argue Ford/Chevy all day but I love my Ram and thats because Ram has earned my business form providing a truck that just works.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford is not going to handle anything better than RAM, nor is GM. So whoever wants to buy them needs to buy them on features, capabilities, likes, etc. They are now priced very similar. I am the VP of Technology for a financial institution and my counterpart in lending told me they lose more money on FCA vehicles than any other, and also our industry reporting data shows the same. If resale/residual means something to you then please factor that in.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Toyota Trucks are not anywhere near the quality some think. Plus they are archaic tech. They have MANY issues from bad rear end bearings to electrical issues to many others. I hear about them all the time. My brother is a master Toyota tech and he said the new tacoma has been a nightmare for Toyota. I owned my Ram from 2013 and its been solid. I just did the front brakes at 80k miles and third set of tires. I have had Fords for years. My first truck ever was a 96 Ford ranger. Had rangers until I got my first f150 and kept that until I got an F250 and then went Ram and it was a huge change for me. The 13 interior felt incredible compared to the Ford. The engine has plenty of power. Nit picky things for me were the headlights on the projector trucks are TERRIBLE. I don't know how FCA allowed that or how they met minimum requirements. They are so dim. I had to get HID from Retroshop.

I have never been in GM truck but they have never even peaked my interest. Ram with the 2019 has really done an incredible job. I don't know where these reviewers say FCA quality is bad. Fords have had many issues. I feel like FCA in general has really done a great job improving overall quality of its brands. I think a lot of us tend to relate our dealer experience to the brand and that is not always fair because we have bad experiences at the dealer and just write off the brand as a whole. I go to shops and know there are people in there that have no business being in there but techs are in such demand they cant fill positions.

My 13 sold me on my 19. I feel at this point ill be a Ram truck owner from now going forward unless something drastic happens. I do wish Ram had some other engine options but they will have the EcoDiesel soon and the E-torque will be interesting. I do like Ford having the TTV6 option. That would be a nice option for Ram.

Right now Ram trucks are the nicest trucks in my opinion plus the engine is identical to the previous years so its solid and not experimental. The 8 speed is refreshed but has been in trucks since 13-14 so thats nice. Fords right now are hating the 10 speed. They are having tremendous issues with those. I know a lot of choices out there and you can argue Ford/Chevy all day but I love my Ram and thats because Ram has earned my business form providing a truck that just works.
On 10 speed comment, a co-worker is getting irritated by the transmission constantly searching. This Ford guy was absolutely Beaming 3 months ago when he showed up in his new F150. He has taken it back to the dealer twice, with no improvements. Now he claims the AC is not cooling as well as it did. None of these trucks are going to be bulletproof.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'll toss my .02 here, I bought a new '17 2500 Cummings and it was a complete **** box. Recalls coupled with numerous parts failing and the truck had only 16k on the odo when I said enuff was enuff. There is always an inherit risk when buying the 1st model year of any vehicle. I have some buddies with 4th gen Rams and never had any issues, couple that with the 2 Chargers I've owned (not 1 problem with either) I figure might as well give the '19 a try. My biggest concern is with the Uconnect/radio, it seems to be a weak spot with any Mopar product but time will tell.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll toss my .02 here, I bought a new '17 2500 Cummings and it was a complete **** box. Recalls coupled with numerous parts failing and the truck had only 16k on the odo when I said enuff was enuff. There is always an inherit risk when buying the 1st model year of any vehicle. I have some buddies with 4th gen Rams and never had any issues, couple that with the 2 Chargers I've owned (not 1 problem with either) I figure might as well give the '19 a try. My biggest concern is with the Uconnect/radio, it seems to be a weak spot with any Mopar product but time will tell.
Infotainment is always weak. Ford had terrible issues with MyFord Touch. They were a do not buy due to that issue alone. With companies pushing the envelope on tech as with even apple there is alway a risk of those issues. I tend to be more accepting of those. As I know typically updates come to sort things out. At the end MFT was working good. They then went to Sync 3. Chrsyler was way ahead with the 8.4 Uconnect. A great system.

We all can point to a bad car we got. There are lemons from every brand. With the amount of parts being produced and all coming together to make one final product and the parts all come from various vendors with their own various issues.

I left Ford not from a lack of quality but more a lack of caring. Their dealers are overwhelmed with vehicles and their service is just unacceptable to me. I tried so many dealers and they all were busy beyond capacity. To get a recall done was becoming impossible. Typical service items was impossible.

I kind of said it earlier. You name a brand in a group of people one person as made example in this thread will say they will never ever buy that brand again.

Its tough these days as Truck prices are at an all time high. My Laramie Long horn was $46k and my 19 was $66K. Thats a HUGE increase over 5 years. So the importance of making the right decision is more important than ever. No one want to take a hit on the depreciation of trying to trade a problematic Truck. Some of us also once we have one issue we never stop seeing issues.

rp781

Reaction score
Infotainment is always weak. Ford had terrible issues with MyFord Touch. They were a do not buy due to that issue alone. With companies pushing the envelope on tech as with even apple there is alway a risk of those issues. I tend to be more accepting of those. As I know typically updates come to sort things out. At the end MFT was working good. They then went to Sync 3. Chrsyler was way ahead with the 8.4 Uconnect. A great system.

We all can point to a bad car we got. There are lemons from every brand. With the amount of parts being produced and all coming together to make one final product and the parts all come from various vendors with their own various issues.

I left Ford not from a lack of quality but more a lack of caring. Their dealers are overwhelmed with vehicles and their service is just unacceptable to me. I tried so many dealers and they all were busy beyond capacity. To get a recall done was becoming impossible. Typical service items was impossible.

I kind of said it earlier. You name a brand in a group of people one person as made example in this thread will say they will never ever buy that brand again.

Its tough these days as Truck prices are at an all time high. My Laramie Long horn was $46k and my 19 was $66K. Thats a HUGE increase over 5 years. So the importance of making the right decision is more important than ever. No one want to take a hit on the depreciation of trying to trade a problematic Truck. Some of us also once we have one issue we never stop seeing issues.
Great post and dead on with the Ford dealers being too busy. I've owned two F150's and am heading to the Ram dealer in 30 minutes to pick up my new Ram. One of the biggest reason's I'm switching is because of service wait times. Generally 2 weeks out for a simple oil change and tire rotation....

Users who are viewing this thread