5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 or RAM 1500? Here to help get this sorted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in Prescott

Reaction score
Shopping for a new truck, which will be used up/down the Rocky Mountain spine and will be based in Prescott AZ (Elev: 5,000'+) It will tow a 5700# camping trailer part time, and otherwise be used for just local driving. If anyone reading this has a thought about what you think I should know - option choices is one good example - I'd surely welcome a comment, here or PM. Thanks, everyone.

Jack

Laramie6x6

Reaction score
Both are excellent choice. I had the same struggle, ultimately liked Ram box and the look of the grill more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-Used up/down the Rocky Mountain spine
-Based in Prescott AZ (Elev: 5,000'+)
-Tow a 5700# camping trailer

^No question you'll be better off with a turbocharged engine.
Now the question is 2.7 TT, 3.5 TT, Diesel?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow over 9,000+LBS and I live at 6,800 Ft elevation and have been over 11,000 Ft elevation towing a few times. Gas mileage with the Hemi is certainly not great but I have been more than happy with the towing ability of the 1500 with eTorque. I will be downgrading from my Motorhome to a fifth wheel toy hauler in the future and that will force me to swap out my 1500 for a 3500 to pull the 24,000 Lbs and 4,000 Lb Tongue weight. Both trucks you are considering are very capable and it will come down to your preference for looks and details. With your description I would go with the most fuel efficient.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shopping for a new truck, which will be used up/down the Rocky Mountain spine and will be based in Prescott AZ (Elev: 5,000'+) It will tow a 5700# camping trailer part time, and otherwise be used for just local driving. If anyone reading this has a thought about what you think I should know - option choices is one good example - I'd surely welcome a comment, here or PM. Thanks, everyone.

Jack
As much as I like my Ram... honestly it sounds like a 3.5 Ecoboost FX4 would suit you better. It's funny you mention Prescott though... we're staying at a cabin in the mountains just east of Prescott next week after Christmas and I'll be looking for some snowy off road trails to hit while we're there.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or if you do get a Ram...I would recommend Hemi 1500 w/Etorque to offset some gas usage for the larger engine. Plus the off-road package is a good idea.... something I wish my Ram had. If you're not super concerned with MPGs...the 3.92 axle ratio is a nice option.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the 2.7 F150 (twin turbo) and can tell you that engine had plenty of grunt to tow that sized trailer. The issue is that whenever you are into the turbos the mileage drops like the proverbial rock. Go over to the f150 forums and read up. You won’t find that the hemi gets any real worse mileage when towing than the turbo did.

The rear end ratio I had was 3.55 on a 2015 4x4. Again, its capable yes but the mpg’s is/was a major disappointment for many owners.

If you are wanting payload then the Ford has more available but the price, interior and ride favored the RAM. I agree that getting an ET 3.92 would be smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 2.7 F150 (twin turbo) and can tell you that engine had plenty of grunt to tow that sized trailer. The issue is that whenever you are into the turbos the mileage drops like the proverbial rock. Go over to the f150 forums and read up. You won’t find that the hemi gets any real worse mileage when towing than the turbo did.
Perhaps while towing there is minimal difference in MPG, but I just came off a 2018 F-150 with the 2.7 w/ 3.55 rear and UNLOADED I got about 16 MPG around town. Now with my 5.7 w/ 3.92 rear I'm getting about 12.2 MPG around town. Same drives, almost 4MPG difference unloaded and not towing.
Granted my F150 was 850lbs lighter.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Perhaps while towing there is minimal difference in MPG, but I just came off a 2018 F-150 with the 2.7 w/ 3.55 rear and UNLOADED I got about 16 MPG around town. Now with my 5.7 w/ 3.92 rear I'm getting about 12.2 MPG around town. Same drives, almost 4MPG difference unloaded and not towing.
Id say my 2015 got close to the same mpg’s when empty, which is def better than my 1500 does in town. The fact that I bought a Limited RAM for the price of a bare Lariat was a big selling point!
I was headed back to Ford in 2019 until I price compared. RAM was at least $10K less for more truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mehlmw

Reaction score
I’m coming off of a 2016 3.5L EcoBoost. At 120k of nearly all highway miles, the thing started coming apart. Had to replace the throttle body, all plugs/wires, passenger side turbo, and both side exhaust/turbo manifolds. Cost me $8k just to get the truck driveable again and now I’m continually worrying that the other turbo is going to go. By the way, I had done every single scheduled maintenance.

I’m switching to RAM.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was headed back to Ford in 2019 until I price compared. RAM was at east $10K less for more truck.
I am/was a diehard F-150 guy, but the 'jittery' 2.7 engine combined with the light weight feel and 10 speed tranny (too much downshifting) made me yearn for a heavier, smoother truck. Was heading toward a Laramie or Rebel until the sales guy brought a Limited for me to look at. As soon as I opened the door and smelled the leather and looked at the interior detail there was absolutely no turning back. Now Ford and Chevy interiors look like plastic junk to me.

nburd

Reaction score
The Ford aluminum body will fight corrosion for sure, but it is susceptible to denting. We shopped both. Price was important and the equivalent Ford was over $5K (10%) more than my RAM. I love the 3.92's but there is a potential fuel economy issue depending on how you drive. I am seeing 15 MPG with freezing weather. The rear seat comfort is better in the Ram than the Ford and we overall liked the Ram interior and interior sound (quiet). I love the ram dual exhaust (and it makes no difference in performance) but is one reason I love the look and sound of the Ram/Hemi. My son has a '13 F150 with 3.7 V6 with 210K and all you can hear are the belts, which is truly amazing for a truck that saw 195K in Contractor's hands. I know the HEMI is a good strong motor. The Ram tranny is very robust and can handle a ton of torque. Buy what you like! I do not think there is bad decision.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I haven't done any towing yet, but I am more than happy with the performance of my Hemi w/etorque. My gas mileage so far, hand calculated, is 18.3 MPG. That is for a 60-40, Highway - City. Straight city is around 15 MPG. And that accounts for all the hills we have here in Prescott, that haul up Prescott Lakes Parkway, and the elevation hit we take on performance.

The big plus is how great these RAM trucks ride, and the luxury car interior. This is the best truck I have ever owned, and is up near the top for all my previous vehicles. There is a reason you see so many RAMs on the road. Get one, you will not regret it.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’m coming off of a 2016 3.5L EcoBoost. At 120k of nearly all highway miles, the thing started coming apart. Had to replace the throttle body, all plugs/wires, passenger side turbo, and both side exhaust/turbo manifolds. Cost me $8k just to get the truck driveable again and now I’m continually worrying that the other turbo is going to go. By the way, I had done every single scheduled maintenance.

I’m switching to RAM.
Ouch. Thats the scary part about turbo anything. While I’d like to see RAM offer one, it’s potentially a spendy repair. For those who don't drive alot and trade every 3 years it’s not likely an issue.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The Ford aluminum body will fight corrosion for sure, but it is susceptible to denting. We shopped both. Price was important and the equivalent Ford was over $5K (10%) more than my RAM. I love the 3.92's but there is a potential fuel economy issue depending on how you drive. I am seeing 15 MPG with freezing weather. The rear seat comfort is better in the Ram than the Ford and we overall liked the Ram interior and interior sound (quiet). I love the ram dual exhaust (and it makes no difference in performance) but is one reason I love the look and sound of the Ram/Hemi. My son has a '13 F150 with 3.7 V6 with 210K and all you can hear are the belts, which is truly amazing for a truck that saw 195K in Contractor's hands. I know the HEMI is a good strong motor. The Ram tranny is very robust and can handle a ton of torque. Buy what you like! I do not think there is bad decision.
X2. If I was in the market again and money no object I’d buy the 21 F150 with the big hybrid generator. However that adds a bunch to the price and for me, money is an issue. June 2019 might have been a “one-off” pricing event for RAM but those who bought then were basically stealing their trucks. My son got a level 2 RAM Limited for less money than my level 1 bought just 3 months earlier.

Attachments

• 36C00101-787E-43BE-A1E1-30C47752A491.jpeg
    36C00101-787E-43BE-A1E1-30C47752A491.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 26

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score

The rear end ratio I had was 3.55 on a 2015 4x4. Again, its capable yes but the mpg’s is/was a major disappointment for many owners.

If you are wanting payload then the Ford has more available but the price, interior and ride favored the RAM. I agree that getting an ET 3.92 would be smart.
I agree with this, 2018 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost never got great gas mileage and is very comparable to my Hemi. Under load I would expect the Hemi to do better mileage wise

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Interesting, I think it really depends if it is stop and go traffic. My Hemi and my old 2018 F150 3.5L is only 1mpg difference with break in not done yet

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I think the 10 speed has improved their gas mileage some over the older Ford 6 speed that I had. Now the 10 speed peeps don’t seem to be super pleased with the transmission overall, thats a lot of gears to be hunting through... Can you imagine the rebuild price on that? Shudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread