5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exterior Door Handle Removal

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Well it was surprisingly easy. This thread helped a ton. T25 torx screw driver, small plastic trim pry tool, small trim clip tool and that is all you need. Dealer ordered one wrong handle so had to wait a couple days but it's done. Looks much better.

Attachments

• PXL_20220126_230003275.jpg
    PXL_20220126_230003275.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 55

houstonhusker

Reaction score
Where did you guys buy the new handles at? I have flame red (pr4) laramie with the chrome inserts that I want to get rid of...

Ksgilley

Reaction score
Where did you guys buy the new handles at? I have flame red (pr4) laramie with the chrome inserts that I want to get rid of...
I just got mine on ebay from Avondale Automotive. I wanted to get rid of the chrome inserts as well. They should be able to order them for you if they don't have your color in stock.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

DjS.

Reaction score
T25 gets backed out fully until it stops turning . The cap pops right off after that .
I tried doing this but as i turned the screw to the left to loosen, it seemed to start getting tighter. Is that when the cap can be popped off or does the screw need to be completely removed. I just didn’t wanna back it all the way out and break some piece of plastic needed to hold the handle on. Thanks for the info!

obz

Reaction score
I tried doing this but as i turned the screw to the left to loosen, it seemed to start getting tighter. Is that when the cap can be popped off or does the screw need to be completely removed. I just didn’t wanna back it all the way out and break some piece of plastic needed to hold the handle on. Thanks for the info!

I'm having the exact same problem - did you figure it out? Feels like it's tightening not loosening.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reread his second post. Just turn screw until it stops turning. Does not have to be removed

obz

Reaction score
If anyone ever comes back to this - the screw feels weird - like you're stripping something by going counter-clockwise. That is the correct way and eventually it'll stop unscrewing and the cap will fall off. Trust the process. ;)

deyth89

Reaction score
Great post, also was told I had to take the interior door panel off. This was very easy. Took less then 10 minutes. Only thing not 100% clearly stated was where this access hole is located.......... You need to get behind the trim on the edge of the door. I removed the top 4-5 plastic fasteners. The hole was covered with a circular piece of tape. See picture. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 20230409_184616.jpg
    20230409_184616.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 35

HDPilot103

Reaction score
Excellent post, can't thank the OP enough...it's still helping people out

RamTruck1500

Reaction score
Ok guys got this all figured out . Inside the door is a access hole which will get you to the only bolt that needs to be backed out . It’s a t25 torx , and you do not need a long torx screw driver . A standard 4-6” reaches no problem . View attachment 78441 View attachment 78442
T25 gets backed out fully until it stops turning . The cap pops right off after that . View attachment 78443
now to finish , push gently in towards the truck on the handle and slide it out pushing back towards the rear of the truck View attachment 78444
View attachment 78445
Super easy, any questions feel free to ask
What year is your ram? Mine is a 2021 limited and I tried this but doesn’t work. The access hole is not lined up like in your 1st picture. I cannot for the life of me find how to remove the door handle. I hope I don’t have to take the door panel off.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What year is your ram? Mine is a 2021 limited and I tried this but doesn’t work. The access hole is not lined up like in your 1st picture. I cannot for the life of me find how to remove the door handle. I hope I don’t have to take the door panel off.
That's the only way to remove them. That screw holds them on.

Users who are viewing this thread