5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Warranty

chuck01835

Reaction score
Lots of gadget and air suspension to protect. Plus if you never use it, you can get all your money back.

BigD

Reaction score
I've gotten probably 100 emails & snail mails in 2 years since I bought my truck trying to sell me an extended warranty. They wouldn't push them so hard if they weren't HUGE$$$ makers. I'd love to see some statistics of how many people make out on those deals & actually get more work done than what the warranty costs. I bet it's less than 2%.

BigD

Reaction score
Lots of gadget and air suspension to protect. Plus if you never use it, you can get all your money back.
I'm pretty sure it's pro rated by how much time has passed when u cancel it.

U

User_3336

Picking my Ram Saturday at Mark Dodge and now I'm going to pull the trigger on my first ever extended warranty.
I've had 8 cars over my 37 years of driving and never wanted an extended warranty, odds are in not in our favor.
They wouldn't sell them if they didn't average out making decent money.

Anyway, I just checked out the Zeigler website and it looks like the warranties are "on sale".

Looks like I could get the 6/60k with $200 ded for $705 !!! Sounds like a pretty good deal.
or the 7/75K for $1070
Make sure you are using the promo code "PAYINFULL" to take off $365 off the posted prices. Price increase May 1st.

U

User_3336

I've gotten probably 100 emails & snail mails in 2 years since I bought my truck trying to sell me an extended warranty. They wouldn't push them so hard if they weren't HUGE$$$ makers. I'd love to see some statistics of how many people make out on those deals & actually get more work done than what the warranty costs. I bet it's less than 2%.
Literally, there is about $100 profit in an extended warranty purchased online. Sell cheap, you use volume to compensate.

chuck01835

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's pro rated by how much time has passed when u cancel it.
If it expires without use, you can get a full refund. If you cancel early , it's prorated. I know it's crazy but I don't make the rules, just report them!

U

User_3336

If it expires without use, you can get a full refund. If you cancel early , it's prorated. I know it's crazy but I don't make the rules, just report them!
PARTIALLY CORRECT! The "dont use it / get a full refund" is only available on the MAXCARE plans that have the "MoneyBackGuarantee" designator. it does NOT apply to all MaxCare plans. Currently it ONLY applies to the 7/125 MAXCARE with the designator....

Conditions for Money-Back Guarantee
• Plan must run the full term as defined by the Plan Expiration Date and/or Mileage noted on this form.
• No mechanical component repair or diagnostic claims have been made to FCA US during the duration of this plan.
Note: claims made for Car Rental Allowance, Roadside Assistance and Trip Interruption are acceptable and do NOT exclude you
from this Money-Back Offer.
• You (the original plan purchaser) must still be in possession of the plan and the Vehicle on which this plan was sold at the time
of requesting refund. Note: You are ineligible for refund if you have previously transferred or cancelled this plan.
• You MUST apply via certified or registered mail for the purchase price refund using this form, and mail in request must be
postmarked within 90 days of the Plan Expiration Date noted above.
• If you are applying for a Money-Back refund based on mileage, you must submit an odometer mileage statement, which can be
obtained from your FCA US dealership.
• If applying for Money-Back refund based on total loss, you must submit proof of loss documentation supplied from your
insurance company.
NOTE: Residents of the States of Florida, Washington and Wyoming are not eligible to participate in this program. moneyback.jpg

m.hamner

Reaction score
I’ve had a chance since the beginning of the year to research and get multiple quotes regarding Ziegler and while completely reasonable and affordable through Ziegler, it seems in most cases, any extended warranty - whether that’s a brand affiliated or third party warranty, tends to tilt in favor to the side of the one who sold you the warranty, and that even includes Ziegler.

Consumer Reports has a very interesting and short article regarding what they think of them and even they say that while in general, they’re not good value for dollar, there are specific circumstances in which they may be a good fit.

I do love how they point out that the best insurance against a new car is to buy a reliable one (the new ram definitely ticks that box over all the other trucks) and to self insure- that is, take that money you’d spend anyways and put into your emergency fund. Now you don’t have to worry if something is covered or not or if you paid an inflated cost to cover the repair.

Last edited:

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve had a chance since the beginning of the year to research and get multiple quotes regarding Ziegler and while completely reasonable and affordable through Ziegler, it seems in most cases, any extended warranty - whether that’s a brand affiliated or third party warranty, tends to tilt in favor to the side of the one who sold you the warranty, and that even includes Ziegler.

Consumer Reports has a very interesting and short article regarding what they think of them and even they say that while in general, they’re not good value for dollar, there are specific circumstances in which they may be a good fit.

I do love how they point out that the best insurance against a new car is to buy a reliable one (the new ram definitely ticks that box over all the other trucks) and to self insure- that is, take that money you’d spend anyways and put into your emergency fund. Now you don’t have to worry if something is covered or not or if you paid an inflated cost to cover the repair.

Once I got to Dave Ramsey, that’s as far as I made it. A lot of people put faith in his advice, but IMO, it’s not always the best advice. For $2,490, it’s just peace of mind to me. There are entirely too many electronics in these vehicles that can suck that $2,490 up in a hurry.

I just had the radiator replaced in my 2020 Grand Cherokee that was outside the 3/36K warranty. It was an $1,100 repair and took three days (first radiator replaced also had a leak). All I paid was my deductible, and they gave me a brand new Grand Cherokee L to drive as a rental.

Things happen, and it’s there if I need it. I know there are certain things not covered, but most things are covered. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it, but with these tech heavy vehicles, to me it’s just become a cost of ownership. And, I’ve never been an extended warranty advocate, but I have bought it on my last three new vehicles (2019 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Grand Cherokee, and 2022 Ram). I do tend to keep my vehicles for awhile.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once I got to Dave Ramsey, that’s as far as I made it. A lot of people put faith in his advice, but IMO, it’s not always the best advice. For $2,490, it’s just peace of mind to me. There are entirely too many electronics in these vehicles that can suck that $2,490 up in a hurry.

I just had the radiator replaced in my 2020 Grand Cherokee that was outside the 3/36K warranty. It was an $1,100 repair and took three days (first radiator replaced also had a leak). All I paid was my deductible, and they gave me a brand new Grand Cherokee L to drive as a rental.

Things happen, and it’s there if I need it. I know there are certain things not covered, but most things are covered. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it, but with these tech heavy vehicles, to me it’s just become a cost of ownership. And, I’ve never been an extended warranty advocate, but I have bought it on my last three new vehicles (2019 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Grand Cherokee, and 2022 Ram). I do tend to keep my vehicles for awhile.
I agree with all of this, plus if you want to sell your truck private party having a transferable warranty like this is a huge selling point.

m.hamner

Reaction score

I wasn’t necessarily quoting Dave Ramsey so much as I was quoting Consumer Reports. (I’m not a Dave Ramsey fan either.) Regarding the warranty, it’s undeniable that peace of mind is there for the extended warranty, and so far in this particular instance the $1,100 radiator repair was actually $2590 minus the cost of what it cost out of pocket for a car rental. You’ll have to have a few more repairs to hit the 2690+ it will ultimately cost to meet parity or beyond. (I’m including the deductible each time for a claim, by the way)

I hope my bigger point was clearer from the article- and that is, number one, to buy a reliable one. One of the reasons I bought the ram is that it has the best and most recent track record of being the most reliable of all the brands for the last three years in a row.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Almost 30 years of buying brand new vehicles and I never paid a single penny for an extended warranty nor have I even needed one.

Guess I’ve been lucky but the way I look at it I’m covered in $$$$ saved if something ever does happen. Most pay just for peace of mind and never get the benefit. If everybody used extended warranties all the companies would be out of business.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Zeigler is the only one I'd buy from. Bob Cline has always offered forum discounts. staff is friendly and helpful.
and they don't hassle you if you need to cancel for some reason.

NOTE! Prices are going up May 1, 2022! Unknown which plans will increase of how much at this point.

the $365 off discount @ Zeigler still works! Promo = "PAYINFULL".
I went with this also, 8 year 100k for $1750. I only drive about 5k a year. Bought On April 30th before the price hike.
MARK Dodge could not do the 8 year. Plus MD warranty did not have key replacement. New key fobs are $600 to $700 and with a 2yo and 6yo sh!t goes missing all the time.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

HUH? How does Zeigler (note the correct spelling) selling you an ESP at a huge savings tilt in their favor??????

P.S. People still rely on Consumer Reports for recommendations on anything??????

m.hamner

Reaction score
HUH? How does Zeigler (note the correct spelling) selling you an ESP at a huge savings tilt in their favor??????

P.S. People still rely on Consumer Reports for recommendations on anything??????
Thanks for correcting the spelling.

Zeigler may sell their ESP’s at a steep discount, but they do not sell any of them at a loss. Jaime confirmed this to me over the phone just the other day. They are a volume for-profit business and their statistic actuaries sell them at a price point which allows profit.

I don’t rely solely on Consumer Reports. Motor Trend, Car and Driver, 123 Auto, and Consumer guide also rated the vehicle number one in reliability. But, I also see nothing wrong with using them. I think they are reputable and they’re a non-profit that depends on the 6 million subscriber base to do independent testing. I’m fine with that.

Thanks for weighing in on my post.

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score
I went with this also, 8 year 100k for $1750. I only drive about 5k a year. Bought On April 30th before the price hike.
MARK Dodge could not do the 8 year. Plus MD warranty did not have key replacement. New key fobs are $600 to $700 and with a 2yo and 6yo sh!t goes missing all the time.

I thought all the dealers were offering the same Mopar Max Care Warranty? Was gonna have MD match Ziegler.

Users who are viewing this thread