5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Warranty

Hawaiian_Built

Reaction score
I know not everyone bought an extended warranty here. Personally, I have never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life. On the forums as well as FB, I only hear of folks happily paying less due to competitors like Zeigler.

But I'd like to hear from folks who didn't purchase an extended warranty and happy you didnt, whether a recent vehicle or one in the past.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know not everyone bought an extended warranty here. Personally, I have never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life. On the forums as well as FB, I only hear of folks happily paying less due to competitors like Zeigler.

But I'd like to hear from folks who didn't purchase an extended warranty and happy you didnt, whether a recent vehicle or one in the past.

Never have before, but specifically I've had 4 rams and haven't considered it on any of them. For two reasons, one being that I don't keep them past 60k miles. And the second being that I don't trust any of my local dealers to work on my vehicle and would only do so as a last resort (maybe a high cost repair that would be covered by the factory warranty).

IF I wanted to keep one for considerably longer and IF I could have the truck worked on at my choice of garage (my cousins), then I would certainly consider it strongly.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
I got the 7/120k when I bought my '15 Big Horn w/ EcoDiesel.....

I currently have 150k miles on it.

I've had 2 warranty issues:
1. Electronic Module that was replaced at about 28k miles under the regular 3/36
2. Diesel Particulate Filter(catalytic converter) and several sensors at 137k miles that were covered under the 5/60 having to do with the Diesel Scam Settlement(this happened when I had 85k miles on the truck). Otherwise I would have been out $3800.

scubes13

Reaction score
Am I correct in that we have until the original factory warranty expires to purchase an extended warranty?

If so, is there anything covered in the extended warranty that isn't covered in the factory warranty that would cause you to go ahead and buy it at time of purchase?

SacRebel

Reaction score
After numerous serious problems including a new engine, a month later a new transmission and I'm only at 23k miles I couldn't buy an extended warranty fast enough. I received a notice from Mopar and got an estimate. I also called Zeigler and got an estimate from them. I also called my service manager and asked him what they would take and he said they only accept the Mopar warranty. So once I knew that it was a matter of getting Mopar to honor a cheaper extended warranty from Zeigler.

So I went back to Mopar and negotiated with them. Instead of their $100 deductible I asked for a $200 deductible and to match a 5 year, 75,000 mile plan from Zeigler. I had to provide the Zeigler price in writing and Mopar sent it up to corporate for approval, which was granted.

I also had to pay $105 to have an independent inspector come out and inspect the truck and take it for a test drive. A week later I got notice it was approved. My plan with the coverages noted above was $2,840. Working with Mopar was a nightmare but persistence paid off and I got the deal I wanted.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
After numerous serious problems including a new engine, a month later a new transmission and I'm only at 23k miles I couldn't buy an extended warranty fast enough. I received a notice from Mopar and got an estimate. I also called Zeigler and got an estimate from them. I also called my service manager and asked him what they would take and he said they only accept the Mopar warranty. So once I knew that it was a matter of getting Mopar to honor a cheaper extended warranty from Zeigler.

So I went back to Mopar and negotiated with them. Instead of their $100 deductible I asked for a $200 deductible and to match a 5 year, 75,000 mile plan from Zeigler. I had to provide the Zeigler price in writing and Mopar sent it up to corporate for approval, which was granted.

I also had to pay $105 to have an independent inspector come out and inspect the truck and take it for a test drive. A week later I got notice it was approved. My plan with the coverages noted above was $2,840. Working with Mopar was a nightmare but persistence paid off and I got the deal I wanted.
Just to be clear, Ziegler is a dealership which sells CDJR vehicles, and are therefore authorized to sell Mopar warranties. Any extended warranty you might buy from Zeigler is the same Mopar warranty you can get from your local CDJR dealership. The only difference between them is the amount you pay. You can buy a Mopar contract from any CDJR dealership which sells them.

tomme12

Reaction score
Just bought my 2022 Rebel and purchased Ziegler 7 year/75k Max. Dont want to deal with anything going wrong after factory. it was cheap I thought at $1,200 I believe it was.

nitmik

Reaction score
I've never been a big extended warranty person, but I did purchase it on my new 22 limited. These vehicles have some many sensors and computers that I feel it's worth the coverage. I don't worry about the motor. I worry about everything else in the vehicle. Can't even imaging how much that 12 inch display would cost to replace.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I had never purchased one (and always had great luck with cars) until my wife got her cherokee and then on this truck because of what happened to the cherokee. The cherokee needed a new ECU, new Steering Rack, and new Engine all before 100k. As nitmik said above there's so many electronics on these vehicles nowadays it's worth it.

U

User_3336

Why the insistence with going directly with MOPAR????

Zeigler sells the EXACT same warranty.

MOPAR acted "dumb" like they needed approval for a cheaper price. They would have sold the ESP for anything they wanted.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have my 5yr/ 60K powertrain warranty, but wanted something in case my rear window cracked after the 3yr / 36K warranty expires, which is coming up in 3 months!

So contacted Mopar Warranties Department and they stated things like bodywork water leakage, seals and even a cracked rear window frame WILL NOT BE COVERED by any extended factory warranty issue by Mopar.

Anyone can confirm this based on their own experiences?

U

User_3336

The "exclusions" have been posted many times in other extended warranty threads. I'll see if I can did up the actual contract again . . .

Keep in mind, the MOPAR extended esp is NOT a bumper to bumper extended warranty.

U

User_3336

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM: • Repairs or replacement of any component covered by any of the Vehicle manufacturer warranties, Certified Warranty, part manufacturer warranties or recall policies; roadside assistance, loaner vehicles or other services which are eligible to be covered by the Vehicle’s manufacturer warranty or marketing programs; • Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear); • Repair or replacement of any covered component when it has been determined that the condition existed prior to purchasing the Plan; • Plan benefits where the Vehicle odometer reading has been stopped or altered and/or the Vehicle’s actual mileage cannot be readily determined; • Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums are not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure); • Reimbursement of services/benefits that exceed the total number of services/allowance included in Plan Coverage; • Battery and cables; any battery for a component; spark plugs and wires; lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses); suspension alignment; wheel balancing; wiper blades; catalytic converter, particulate filter and any other exhaust system components; heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; evaporator deodorizing; carbon cleaning; • High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure); • Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications; • Repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of alterations or modifications not recommended by the manufacturer; Form Num: NM515 FMCC#: MVP NM515 Page: 7 of 10 • Lift kits that exceed two (2) inches; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds two (2) inches; • Plan benefits necessary as a result of (a) failure to properly care for or maintain the Vehicle; (b) fire, accident, abuse, vandalism, negligence, Acts of Terrorism or Act of God including but not limited to the Vehicle rendered inoperable due to snow, ice or flood; (c) failure to properly operate the Vehicle; (d) Vehicles that have been used or are being used for competitive speed events such as races or acceleration trials; (e) pulling a trailer that exceeds the rated capacity of the Vehicle or failure to adhere to the requirements for vehicles used to pull a trailer as outlined in the owner manual supplied by the manufacturer; (f) tampering with the emission system or with any parts that could affect that system; (g) use of dirty fluids, or fuels, refrigerants or other fluids which are not recommended by the manufacturer; (h) failure due to fluid contamination or sludge; (i) modifications not approved or recommended by the manufacturer; (j) overloading rated payload capacity of the Vehicle; (k) damage incurred by off-road usage; • Fasteners, bolts and attaching hardware that does not attach a covered component to another covered component; • Repairs to a covered component where the component has been restricted by the manufacturer; repairs that are the direct result of the failure of a component that has been restricted by the manufacturer; • Repairs caused by pre-ignition detonation, pinging, improper/contaminated fuel including fuels containing more than 10% ethanol (if the engine was not manufactured for this mixture); • Plan service obtained from other than a Dealer unless authorization is first received from us. FCA US Vehicles must return to a FCA US LLC Dealer for Plan covered repairs; (Dealers cannot authorize repairs.) • Repairs required as a result of use of other than the Vehicle manufacturer’s parts during the term of the Plan, unless authorized by us; • Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component and/or an aftermarket installation not performed by a Dealer, or any outside installation of "salvage or junk" components in conjunction with an insurance or damage claim. All part installations to satisfy such claims must be with new or factory authorized remanufactured components and parts; • Bodily injury or property damage arising or allegedly arising out of a defect in the design, manufacture, materials or workmanship of a covered component; • Any fines, fees or taxes which are associated with impound towing as a result of actual or alleged violation of any laws or regulations; • Plan benefits to Vehicles operated outside of the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and Mexico; • Plan benefits to Vehicles registered outside of the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico; • Exterior - tires; trim; name plates; appliques; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers; side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; weather strips; rust; water leaks; restricted drain tubes; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts; vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or ocean spray; • Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; arm rests and head liner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soiled; • Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches regardless of their installation; • Cost or expenses for teardown, rental, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by the Plan; • Shop supplies, waste disposal fees and materials; • Repairs to any Vehicle where the title has become branded or the Vehicle has become restricted by the manufacturer after the purchase of the Plan; • Maintenance services specified in the owner’s manual and the parts used in connection with such services; • Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component and/or an aftermarket installation not performed by an authorized Dealer; • Repairs or replacement to components covered by the Hybrid System Limited Warranty (refer to Warranty booklet for details); • Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system; • Portable Units including but not limited to - headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD; • Repair or replacement of Performance parts, Performance enhancing parts; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of failure of a performance part; • Any economic loss of any kind, including but not limited to rental car expenses, consequential damages, incidental damages, or other losses that relate in any manner to your use or loss of use of the Covered Vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

COMPONENTS COVERED BY THE PLAN INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO): GASOLINE ENGINE: Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies; Timing Case, Timing Chain, Timing Belt, Gears and Sprockets; Variable Valve Timing Solenoids and Actuators; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pump, Water Pump and Housing; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Flywheel with Starter Ring Gear; Core Plugs; Valve Covers; Oil Pan; Oil Filter Adapter Housing; Turbocharger Housing and Internal Parts; Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator; Supercharger; Fuel Injectors (excluding clogged injectors); Serpentine Belt Tensioner; Seals and Gaskets. DIESEL ENGINE: Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies; Timing Gears and Cover; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pump; Water Pump and Housing; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Core Plugs; Valve Covers; Oil Pan; Turbocharger Housing and Internal Parts; Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors (excluding clogged injectors); High Pressure Oil Pump; High Pressure Oil Rails; Seals and Gaskets. TRANSMISSION: Transmission Case and all Internal Parts; Torque Converter; Drive/Flex Plate; Transmission Range Switch; Transmission Control Module; Bell Housing; Oil Pan; Gear Shifter and Shifter Mechanism; Seals and Gaskets. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME. FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4x4): Transfer Case and all Internal Parts; Axle Housing and all Internal Parts; Axles Shafts; Axle Shaft Bearings; Drive Shafts Assemblies (Front and Rear); Drive Shaft Center Bearings; Wheel Bearings; Universal Joints and Yokes; Disconnect Housing Assembly; Seals and Gaskets. ALL-WHEEL DRIVE (AWD): Power Transfer Unit and all Internal Parts; Viscous Coupler; Axle Housing and all Internal parts; Constant Velocity Joints and Boots; Rear Driveline Module; Drive Shaft and Axle Shaft Assemblies; Wheel Bearings; Differential Carrier Assembly and all Internal Parts; Output Bearing; Output Flange; End Cover; Overrunning Clutch; Shift Motor; Vacuum Motor; Torque Tube; Pinion Spacer and Shim; Seals and Gaskets. FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Transaxle Case and all Internal Parts; Axle Shaft Assemblies; Constant Velocity Joints and Boots; Shifter Mechanism; Wheel Bearings; Differential Cover; Oil Pan; Transaxle Speed Sensors; Transaxle Solenoid Assembly; PRNDL Position Switch; Transaxle Electronic Controller; Torque Converter; Seals and Gaskets NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME. REAR WHEEL DRIVE: Rear Axle Housing and all Internal Parts; Axle Shafts; Axle Shaft Bearings; Drive Shaft Assemblies; Drive Shaft Center Bearings; Universal Joints and Yokes; Seals and Gaskets. STEERING: Steering Gear Housing and all Internal Parts; Power Steering Gear; Inner Tie Rods; Outer Tie Rods; Drag Link; Idler Arm; Pitman Arm; Steering Stabilizer; Power Steering Pump and Reservoir; Power Steering Motors; Power Steering Pump Cooler; Steering Shafts (upper and lower); Steering Shaft Lower Coupling; Telescoping Steering Column Motors; Rack and Pinion Assembly; Rack and Pinion Boots; Electronic Steering Motor; Seals and Gaskets. AIR CONDITIONING/HEATING: Factory or Manufacturer-authorized air conditioning installations only. Air Conditioning Compressor; Clutch; Coil; Condenser; Front Evaporator; Rear Evaporator; Receiver-Drier; Expansion Valve; Hoses and Lines; Low Pressure Cut-off Switch; High Pressure Cut-off Switch; Clutch Cycling Switch; Front Instrument Panel Control Assembly; Rear Instrument Panel Control Assembly; Power Module; Blend Air Door Actuators and Motors; Housing; Front and Rear Air Conditioning/Heater Blower Motor; Blower Motor Resistor; Heater Core; Seals and Gaskets. ENGINE COOLING & FUEL: Cooling Fan, Clutch and Motor; Radiator; Coolant Temperature Switch; Fuel Pump; Water Pump and Housing; Active Grille Shutter System; Fuel Tank Sending Unit; Fuel Pressure Regulator; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Tank and Lines; Serpentine Belt Tensioner; Engine Oil Cooler; Transmission Oil Cooler; EGR Cooler; Evaporative Emissions Leak Detection Pump and Monitor; Knock Sensor, Oxygen Sensor, Emissions Maintenance Reminder Module; Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Vapor Canister and Hoses; Seals and Gaskets. Form Num: NM515 FMCC#: MVP NM515 Page: 4 of 10 FRONT SUSPENSION: Shocks; Shock Mounts; Struts; Strut Mounts, Bushings and Bearings; Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Bushings; Thrust Arms; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Coil Springs; Torsion Bars; Air Suspension System; Front Wheel Bearings. REAR SUSPENSION: Rear Leaf Springs; Rear Coil Springs; Auxiliary Springs; Spring Interliner; Spring Bushing; Spring Shackle; U-Bolt Rear Spring; Spring Hanger; Axle Trac Bar; Lateral Link Arm; Shocks; Shock Mount Plate; Struts; Strut Mounting Plates; Strut Bushings; Rear Trailing Arm Assembly; Rear Torsion Arms; Rear Torsion Bars; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Link; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Bushing; Rear Wheel Bearings. BRAKES: Master Cylinder, Assist Booster; Wheel Cylinders; Disc Brake Calipers and Pistons; Brake Lines, Hoses, Fittings; Proportioning Valve; Seals and Gaskets. NOTE: BRAKE SHOES, PADS, ROTORS, AND DRUMS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME. ANTI-LOCK BRAKES (ABS): Brake System’s Hydraulic Assembly; Pump Motor Assembly; Controller; Sensors and Relays; Seals and Gaskets. ELECTRICAL: Starter Motor and Solenoid; Generator (Alternator); Engine Control Module - (Single Module Engine Controller) (SMEC); Powertrain Control Module; Distributor; Ignition Module; Ignition Coil; Coil Pack Assembly; Voltage Regulator; Horn and Horn Pad; Transmission Control Module; All Wiring Harnesses; Electronic Fuel Injection System (excluding clogged injectors); Windshield Wiper Motor; Rear Window Wiper Motor; Wiper Control Module; Manually Operated Electrical Switches; Neutral Safety Switch; Temperature Sending Unit/Switch; Oil Level and Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch; Body Computer; Body Control Module; Factory Installed Radio, Speakers and Rear Entertainment Systems (Includes CD and DVD Player); Factory Installed Navigation Systems (excludes navigation disc); Audio Amplifier; Height Adjustment Compressor; Gateway Module; Ignition Module, Factory Installed U-Connect System. NOTE: HEADPHONES ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME. INSTRUMENTATION: Electronic Instrument Cluster; Amp/Voltmeter Gauge; Fuel Gauge; Temperature Gauge; Tachometer; Oil Pressure Gauge; Turbo Gauge; Speedometer. KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components. NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB. POWER GROUP: Rear Window Defroster; Power Window Motors; Power Window Flex Track; Power Antenna; Power Seat Motors; Power Door Locks and Linkage; Power Sliding Rear Window Motor and Regulator (Trucks); Power Sliding Door Motors; Power Liftgate; Vacuum Pump. LUXURY GROUP: Keyless Entry Sensors and Receiver/Module; Trip Computer; Message Center; Overhead Electronic Vehicle Information Center; Overhead Electronic Compass/Temperature; Power Sunroof Motor; Convertible Top Motor; Electric Mirror Motor and Controls; Cruise Control Servo; Headlight Door Motor; Concealed Headlamp Module; Park Assist Module; Park Assist Sensors; Back Up Assist Camera; Door Latches; Heated Seat Systems; Factory Installed Remote Start System; Heated Steering Wheel; In-Vehicle Wireless Charging Station; USB Outlets; 120V Outlets. ENGINE EMISSIONS: Air Pump; Air Supply Hose; Leak Detection Pump; Evaporative System Detector/Monitor; Vapor Canister; Air Injection Valve; EGR Valve; EGR Cooler; Aspirator Tube; Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor; EGR Tube; Purge Solenoid; Knock Sensor; Oxygen Sensor; Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System. NOTE: CATALYTIC CONVERTOR AND PARTICULATE FILTER ARE NOT COVERED. SAFETY SYSTEMS: Airbags (excluding deployed airbags); Impact Sensors; Occupancy Sensors; Seatbelt Retractors; Seat Belt Buckles; Modules; Sensors; and Switches. NOTE: AIR BAGS THAT HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED ARE NOT COVERED AT ANYTIME. MOPAR ACCESSORIES: All electrical and mechanical Mopar accessories are covered provided they were installed by an authorized Dealer; Audio Systems (including Compact Disc Players); Sirius Satellite Radio; Speed Control; EVS (Security Systems); Clocks; Remote Trunk Release; Transmission Oil Cooler; Remote Control Outside Mirrors; Power Sliding Rear Window Assembly (Trucks); Rear Seat Video Entertainment Systems (including DVD Players); Remote Start System (excluding transmitters); MoparConnect.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, so essentially, the way I could have gotten a bumper to bumper extended warranty was to do it during the initial purchase?

We got that on the Toyota, which is 10yr/100K bumper to bumper. Cover everything that the 3 yr did up to 10 years for $1,700.

I normally go through vehicles every 3-4 years (my personal daily drivers), so I never get the extended warranty during purchase. For the first time in a long time, I actually still want to keep my truck for longer just 4 years.

Last edited:

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 13 Silverado, it came with a free limited lifetime powertrain warranty & it got used around 130k. No deductible My 21 Laramie paperwork shows that I have an extended warranty to 125k - it already has 56k on it at only 14 months old - with no issues so far. I have a 22 Limited ordered (but not built yet) through Dave Sinclair in Pacific, MO that comes with the free lifetime warranty through CNA also. Should still be able to purchase electronics coverage in addition to powertrain, but may only go up to 80k if I remember correctly. My opinion is that manufactures should honor their vehicles with free warranties to 100k. We spend too much money on their **** just to break - they can afford it & we shouldn’t have to, bottom line. They should stand more firmly behind their vehicles if they’re going to brag about their brand so much - this goes for all manufacturers. But my point is why pay for a warranty when you can hunt a large Ram dealer that offer free powertrain ones & then you can purchase a smaller electronics and/or bumper to bumper warranty in addition to that if desired?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never gotten an extended warranty until this truck, just based on other folks experiences. After a bit of back & forth (be quiet @GregHBNA 😎) I purchased an 8 year/85000/200 deductible from Ziegler for $1385 and couldn’t be happier. Truck is still under factory 3/36 (it’s a 2019 right at 28,000 miles)
And if I don’t even use it once it’s all worth it for the peace of mind.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my 5yr/ 60K powertrain warranty, but wanted something in case my rear window cracked after the 3yr / 36K warranty expires, which is coming up in 3 months!

So contacted Mopar Warranties Department and they stated things like bodywork water leakage, seals and even a cracked rear window frame WILL NOT BE COVERED by any extended factory warranty issue by Mopar.

Anyone can confirm this based on their own experiences?
It would be a shame if the back glass slider window motor failed right after you found a crack in the window frame.

Camelot

Reaction score
No way I buy extended warranty to cover for a manufacturers lack of quality. I plan on getting rid of mine before the warranty expires. Only bought it because of availability anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread