5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Warranty

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It would be a shame if the back glass slider window motor failed right after you found a crack in the window frame.
That was my thinking exactly. The sliding rear window is covered, but if the frame cracks it's not covered. šŸ¤Æ

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion on whether the LED headlight/taillight assemblies are covered. These are not cheap (~$900 or so). When I bought the extended warranty I specifically asked the Ziegler folks about those and the official answer was ā€œyes, theyā€™re covered.ā€ FWIW

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion on whether the LED headlight/taillight assemblies are covered. These are not cheap (~$900 or so). When I bought the extended warranty I specifically asked the Ziegler folks about those and the official answer was ā€œyes, theyā€™re covered.ā€ FWIW
they are covered for lamp failure. They will fight on it, its up to the dealer to stand up to them. Maxcare warranty isn't as good as it was a few years ago.

wvinson

Reaction score
Another good reason to lease for my business---Deduct the entire amount of lease payments and get a new one when the warranty runs out!

U

User_3336

But my point is why pay for a warranty when you can hunt a large Ram dealer that offer free powertrain ones & then you can purchase a smaller electronics and/or bumper to bumper warranty in addition to that if desired?
I don't understand that logic

U

User_3336

Always the debate on extended warranties, always.

I bought one, and I'd buy one on every vehicle I owned. I'd rather pay $1,000 now to cover my vehicle for 7/75, instead of paying $3,000 down the road for a costly repair later. It's simply peace of mind.

U

User_3336

Iā€™ve never gotten an extended warranty until this truck, just based on other folks experiences. After a bit of back & forth (be quiet @GregHBNA šŸ˜Ž) I purchased an 8 year/85000/200 deductible from Ziegler for $1385 and couldnā€™t be happier. Truck is still under factory 3/36 (itā€™s a 2019 right at 28,000 miles)
And if I donā€™t even use it once itā€™s all worth it for the peace of mind.
HUH? :->

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But my point is why pay for a warranty when you can hunt a large Ram dealer that offer free powertrain ones & then you can purchase a smaller electronics and/or bumper to bumper warranty in addition to that if desired?
I don't know of a dealer out there where I could have ordered this truck, with a lifetime powertrain warranty, for a better price than what I paid even when including the 8 year warranty.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never been a big extended warranty person, but I did purchase it on my new 22 limited. These vehicles have some many sensors and computers that I feel it's worth the coverage. I don't worry about the motor. I worry about everything else in the vehicle. Can't even imaging how much that 12 inch display would cost to replace.
ABOUT $1000.00

U

User_3336

I don't know of a dealer out there where I could have ordered this truck, with a lifetime powertrain warranty, for a better price than what I paid even when including the 8 year warranty.
Lots of dealers here provide the "limited" lifetime powertrain warranty.......What about all the other hundreds of parts not covered by that warranty.
And its usually a $100 deductible, and typically you have to perform all the service work there.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called around the entire country, ended up ordering from Dave Sinclair near where I live. 6500 discount from msrp, plus any coupons AND rebates available at the time of trade on my 21 Ram, & will still consider 0% even though itā€™s technically expired/not published so I told them I will be asking for it so to be prepared. The lifetime powertrain warranty is free. I will look to add an electronics warranty for obvious reasons.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I called around the entire country, ended up ordering from Dave Sinclair near where I live. 6500 discount from msrp, plus any coupons AND rebates available at the time of trade on my 21 Ram, & will still consider 0% even though itā€™s technically expired/not published so I told them I will be asking for it so to be prepared. The lifetime powertrain warranty is free. I will look to add an electronics warranty for obvious reasons.
Right, but I'm at $9k off MSRP with the rebate paying for an 8 year warranty and 0% financing.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand that logic
ā€œIF DESIREDā€

Personally, I donā€™t care about a bumper to bumper warranty but I want the electronics and sensors covered in addition to the lifetime powertrain. When youā€™ve had the same issues Iā€™ve had with other vehicles and have seen or heard the issues that others have been having with their 12 inch screen and some other sensors then you will understand the logic. You spoke about peace of mind and here it is described. When you travel multiple states and drive 60K or more per year and donā€™t want to be broken down in areas youā€™ve never been but can usually find a larger Ram dealership within tow then this also makes sense.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, but I'm at $9k off MSRP with the rebate paying for an 8 year warranty and 0% financing.
Right, but Iā€™m not traveling all the way to Mark Dodge & driving my truck back home either, I travel far too much already & I donā€™t have time for that. By the time they stack my rebates & $1000 coupon plus the 6500 off msrp it will be close enough to your discount for me to be satisfied. This is a subjective matter obviously.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In 8 years Iā€™ll have 400k+ on my truck. Iā€™m just in a different situation with my occupation, so I donā€™t expect anyone else to understand as it very likely wonā€™t apply to others.

Users who are viewing this thread