5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty from FCA

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
i had extended warranty for me previous new to me SUV, i paid a lot for it and got well above my money's worth. that was used. just bought a new 2019 Laramie and wondering about extended warranty. with all these bells and whistles and being V1 things will break and its nice to have the coverage. having said all that, first 36000 miles is covered (though FCA has started calling it limited basis warranty instead of bumper to bumper which is bothersome )... it will take me about 3 years or a little less to get 36K...

i saw some option on FCA site and looks like its cheaper if i buy it now vs when i have say 30k miles on it. dont ask me how long will i keep the truck, i spent a bunch of money 2 years back on my SUV and thought i am keeping it for next 7 years, here i am waiting for the 1500 to show up to my dealer from another dealer...

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Warranties are like any insurance, you are betting something will go wrong, the warranty company is betting it won't. My personally, I think it's worth the risk on my part, but to each their own. What Warranty are you looking at and what are they pricing it at? I am happy to sell it to you myself if I can get you a better deal.

basically the extension of manufacturer warranty after 36000 miles. o well.. its ways out anyway...
this is what FCA is offering https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
I bought the 100k warranty. I think it was about $4k (I think you can get it cheaper from other dealers). I was leary of V1. If you look at the current issues (steering, electrical, brakes, etc.) I think issues arising after 36k are quite likely.

grinch72

Reaction score
I purchased it on My wife's Jeep but she can drive upward of 30k miles a year. I rarely drive so I passed on it for my Ram. I figure by the time the 3/36k is up I will most likely get rid of it anyway. I tend to trade in every 3 to 4 years myself.

k1kelley

Reaction score
I rarely buy an extended warranty at the same time I purchase a vehicle, I do it a few weeks after. Generally you have 12 months or 12,000 miles to buy an FCA extended warranty. I ended up buying my 84 month 100,000 mile warranty from the dealership I purchased the truck from, about 4 weeks after purchase. I negotiated the price to $2040. I used one of the above mentioned websites as a bargaining chip. Just showed them how much I could get it somewhere else.

glenB

Reaction score
If you buy the warranty now it will run concurrent with the factory warranty.

The best method is to wait until just before the 3/36 expires, whichever comes first, and then buy the warranty. This saves you the three years it was under factory warranty and still allows you to buy it under 'new' condition, or the price, minus inflation, if you were to buy it now.

Matt92037

Reaction score
Some of these prices seem crazy for a 100k warranty. It’s not offered anymore but I paid $2,600 for a lifetime warranty in November

VinnyRam

Reaction score
If you buy the warranty now it will run concurrent with the factory warranty.

The best method is to wait until just before the 3/36 expires, whichever comes first, and then buy the warranty. This saves you the three years it was under factory warranty and still allows you to buy it under 'new' condition, or the price, minus inflation, if you were to buy it now.
I don't think this is correct. The extended warranty starts on the day you took delivery at zero mile. So if you buy a 5 yrs extended warranty on your brand new truck you really is only getting a 2 yrs extension. Same if you wait to buy it 3 yrs from now, it will cost more but you still only getting 2 more yrs and not 5.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
I wish the FCA lifetime warranty was still offered. I passed on the extended warranty as I usually trade in every 2-3 years. If I still love the truck a year from now, I may consider a warranty. The e-torque is new technology and I would sure hate for something to go bad after 36k.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish the FCA lifetime warranty was still offered. I passed on the extended warranty as I usually trade in every 2-3 years. If I still love the truck a year from now, I may consider a warranty. The e-torque is new technology and I would sure hate for something to go bad after 36k.
eTorque is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty. It’s everything else you need to worry about ;)

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Thanks SpeedyV, I feel a little better knowing it's not just covered up to 36k on the e-torque. I learned something new!

glenB

Reaction score
I don't think this is correct. The extended warranty starts on the day you took delivery at zero mile. So if you buy a 5 yrs extended warranty on your brand new truck you really is only getting a 2 yrs extension. Same if you wait to buy it 3 yrs from now, it will cost more but you still only getting 2 more yrs and not 5.

It is correct. If you buy the contract when you purchase the vehicle it runs concurrent. So on a 10 year contract you are really only getting 7 years bumper-to-bumper and 5 years on the powertrain.

If you purchase the contract before the 3 year or 36K mile warranty expires the vehicle is still considered 'new' to the contract and the price paid is as 'new' vehicle pricing Vs used.

I was the supervisor of mechanical claims for 7 years.

So let's say you are at 2 years and 9 months but only 18K miles, go buy the contract. If the vehicle has 34K miles and is only 18 months old, buy the contract. The key to saving money is doing it before the 3/36 expires. Yes, you may pay more 3 years from now, but you gained an X amount of time and miles. Buying it when you purchase the vehicle is throwing away 3 years of coverage.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
The online price that FCA is showing is actually decent if you compare it with dealers offer. I was offered 80k/ 8 years for 2800 .... then magically brought down to 2200... needlessly to say I passed. Man the extent these finance guys will go to sell you these warranties boggles my mind.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
It is correct. If you buy the contract when you purchase the vehicle it runs concurrent. So on a 10 year contract you are really only getting 7 years bumper-to-bumper and 5 years on the powertrain.

If you purchase the contract before the 3 year or 36K mile warranty expires the vehicle is still considered 'new' to the contract and the price paid is as 'new' vehicle pricing Vs used.

I was the supervisor of mechanical claims for 7 years.

So let's say you are at 2 years and 9 months but only 18K miles, go buy the contract. If the vehicle has 34K miles and is only 18 months old, buy the contract. The key to saving money is doing it before the 3/36 expires. Yes, you may pay more 3 years from now, but you gained an X amount of time and miles. Buying it when you purchase the vehicle is throwing away 3 years of coverage.

So if I buy the MOPAR 5 yrs /60K miles Maximum Care plan when my truck is already 2 yrs old and 20K miles, I would still get 5 more years and another 60K of extended warranty coverage?

I really hope you right but that's not what they told me when I contacted Zeigler at https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com to ask them the same question. I also got this from their FAQ's page.

Q: When does coverage under my Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan, a product of FCA US LLC, begin and when does my used vehicle require an inspection before buying an Mopar service warranty?
A: New Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan coverage and Certified Pre-Owned Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan coverage start at the ORIGINAL IN-SERVICE DATE OF THE VEHICLE (the date the vehicle was delivered to its original owner) and AT ZERO MILES, not upon expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Can someone else confirm ?

Boozygoose

Reaction score
So if I buy the MOPAR 5 yrs /60K miles Maximum Care plan when my truck is already 2 yrs old and 20K miles, I would still get 5 more years and another 60K of extended warranty coverage?

I really hope you right but that's not what they told me when I contacted Zeigler at https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com to ask them the same question. I also got this from their FAQ's page.

Q: When does coverage under my Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan, a product of FCA US LLC, begin and when does my used vehicle require an inspection before buying an Mopar service warranty?
A: New Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan coverage and Certified Pre-Owned Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan coverage start at the ORIGINAL IN-SERVICE DATE OF THE VEHICLE (the date the vehicle was delivered to its original owner) and AT ZERO MILES, not upon expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Can someone else confirm ?

There may be some 3rd party/aftermarket plans out there where you could just add some years after the warranty (perhaps that is what Glenb is referring to), but Mopar plans ALL start at your purchase date regardless of when you purchase the warranty. There is zero price advantage to waiting that I can see.

To confirm, I went on Zeigler and priced a 7 year unlimited mile warranty and got an instant quote. I used 2 different vehicles. A 2017 with 35000 miles and a 2019 with 12 miles. Gave me same exact price for either. Saves zero dollars to wait.

Further, my printed MVP contract from Mopar is quite clear. All Mopar plans begin on vehicle date of purchase regardless of plan date of purchase.

See FAQ question length of MVP plan from Mopar website.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/mopar-vehicle-protection/faqs.html

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^that's how I understood every extended warranty I've ever owned.

Do these have a money back guarantee? So if you don't use any of it, they refund you? I houghtt I read that someplace, but I'm highly questioning that.

alow

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you get the remainder prorated back to you if you sell or cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread