5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty from FCA

Chris

Reaction score
If it is the same price whether you buy it on day 1 with 10 miles, day 400 with 35,000 miles, or day 1000 with 25,000 miles, then what is the benefit of buying early besides rolling into your financing? seems like it is always best to wait until right before factory warranty expires, just in case you total the vehicle or sell it before then and thus could save the entire cost by never buying it to begin with.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
If it is the same price whether you buy it on day 1 with 10 miles, day 400 with 35,000 miles, or day 1000 with 25,000 miles, then what is the benefit of buying early besides rolling into your financing? seems like it is always best to wait until right before factory warranty expires, just in case you total the vehicle or sell it before then and thus could save the entire cost by never buying it to begin with.

That’s what I am thinking

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was kind of what i thought too. Wait...

Someone told me that's it's cheaper if it's less than a year old, but I can't confirm or deny that.

ShermanOaks

Reaction score
I’m struggling to choose between the 7yr unlimited mileage vs 8 year 125k, my Rubicon has the lifetime MaxCare. I had plan to purchase he lifetime plan and missed out.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That was kind of what i thought too. Wait...

Someone told me that's it's cheaper if it's less than a year old, but I can't confirm or deny that.

I believe it’s $75 or $100 cheaper if it’s less than 12 months old. Not enough to base your decision on it IMO

It is cheaper if you pay in full for the extended warranty vs making monthly payments. You can either call them or use a code indicating you’re paying in full and you will receive a discount.

Nickjansen

Reaction score
I live in British Columbia Canada. I got the true “cost” on getting extended warranty for both comprehensive and power train extended to 6 years/120000km. The price for me (I work at dealership) cost $1860 for the upgrade. Anyone can get that price as long as they ask for that exactly. They will know you did your homework and they would rather sell it to you and show there “take %” over you walking away or a little profit. Keep in mind I obvs paid in Canadian dollars. Just thought I should give a little back as I myself even in the industry have been helped numerous times by this forum. :)

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty. It’s everything else you need to worry about ;)
So the holy torque is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles? Well past the 3-year 36000 bumper to bumper? Or was that 8/ 80 a separately purchased warranty

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
My understanding is the e torque system piece is covered under the Emission Warranty

Late responce, but for anyone who stumbles accross this thread...

As part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Powertrain Control Module
  • Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

RJS

Reaction score
On the websites that have pricing on them, price an 7-8 yr warranty at both less and more than 12,000 miles. You will see the difference is a lot more than $100. I just purchased an 8/125 Mopar warranty for my 19 Laramie from Robbins Motors in KS for significantly less than the Ziegler and other on-line sites. Their email - [email protected]

Tomdio

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up month old thread but I just bought a used 19 Limited with 4K miles on it. I know the previous owner had the MGU replaced. I called the service center listed on the carfax.
So I am thinking of buying the mopar extended service plan for 7/75. That’s usually when I trade!
But reading this thread, i wasn’t aware of the 8/80 emissions covering the etorque. Can anyone point me in the direction where this is stated by FCA? Thanks

buddyboy52

Reaction score
Anyone here know if I buy the appearance coverage warranty if I can claim existing dents to be repaired? I have about a 4 inch dent on the side of my bed that the PDR guy quoted me $500 to fix when the warranty would be $380 and I could get all other dings out for the next 3 years...

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone here know if I buy the appearance coverage warranty if I can claim existing dents to be repaired? I have about a 4 inch dent on the side of my bed that the PDR guy quoted me $500 to fix when the warranty would be $380 and I could get all other dings out for the next 3 years...

Seems to me existing damage would not be covered...and lying about insurance claims is typically frowned upon.

Wsmith

Reaction score
It is correct. If you buy the contract when you purchase the vehicle it runs concurrent. So on a 10 year contract you are really only getting 7 years bumper-to-bumper and 5 years on the powertrain.

If you purchase the contract before the 3 year or 36K mile warranty expires the vehicle is still considered 'new' to the contract and the price paid is as 'new' vehicle pricing Vs used.

I was the supervisor of mechanical claims for 7 years.

So let's say you are at 2 years and 9 months but only 18K miles, go buy the contract. If the vehicle has 34K miles and is only 18 months old, buy the contract. The key to saving money is doing it before the 3/36 expires. Yes, you may pay more 3 years from now, but you gained an X amount of time and miles. Buying it when you purchase the vehicle is throwing away 3 years of coverage.
You are correct they do run concurrent. You are getting the same total warranty whether you buy it the day you buy the truck or at 35,999 miles. The only difference is that the warranty price goes up with each 12,000 mile interval. To me it makes sense to buy it at the lowest rate prior to 12k.

Ilya23

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with claiming something with FCA warranty? I read it here(https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/detroit/p...cle-protection-0332-90030723/customer-reviews) and looks like they denying most of the claims. Anyone has success with that? I recently purchased Ram 1500 and dealer sold me Ally car warranty. So I'm shopping around if I need to keep it or switch to something better(Btw, I have 60 days to return that Ally policy that I purchased with 0 fees). Also, my Ram has air suspension which looks like get covered only FCA. But it has so many bad reviews which makes me question Mopar extended car warranty

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Get the Best Price on a Factory Extended Warranty

I contacted all the people I know of that sell discounted genuine Mopar warranties for a price comparison. Did I miss anyone?

Zeigler
Clay Robbins
Tom Winkels
Riedman Motors
Chrysler Warranty's
Jeep Factory Warranty
Mopar Service Contracts
Chrysler Warranty Direct
Chrysler Factory Warranty
Jason Edmonson

Check out this link to see who had the lowest prices.

Last edited:

RJS

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with claiming something with FCA warranty? I read it here(https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/detroit/p...cle-protection-0332-90030723/customer-reviews) and looks like they denying most of the claims. Anyone has success with that? I recently purchased Ram 1500 and dealer sold me Ally car warranty. So I'm shopping around if I need to keep it or switch to something better(Btw, I have 60 days to return that Ally policy that I purchased with 0 fees). Also, my Ram has air suspension which looks like get covered only FCA. But it has so many bad reviews which makes me question Mopar extended car warranty
Just by chance, have you Googled the third party warranty providers claims history? With FCA you'll have more options to settle any issue than just an 800 number.

Ilya23

Reaction score
@RJS They all have mixed reviews to be honest. I canceled warranty with 3rd party provider yesterday, And planning to get FCA extended warranty. I got a quote yesterday from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ if I decided to pay in full for 6years/100k miles it would be $1525. I sent email to [email protected] as many suggested here and he gave me for 6/100k for $1465 so I think this is very nice deal.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading some of them and they don't even belong there. Numerous ones about trying to get refunds when they got rid of their vehicles, one about having difficulty with warranty work under the basic warranty, and one that was outside warranty but he was upset that FCA wouldn't fix his vehicle for free.

As Ilya23 said everybody will have mixed reviews. People with negative experiences are more motivated to post/review their experience than those that have a positive one.

IMO a lot of the issue is the dealership itself. I have 6 dealerships in my area and only 2 of them have I had positive experiences with at their service department. The dealership has to be confident that they can provide documentation for re-imbursement and some seem better at it than others.

Users who are viewing this thread