5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding panoramic sunroof

TxsRam

Reaction score
Insurance covered mine buy I had to pay $500 deductible as sunroof didn’t fall under glass breakage, it was under comprehensive. Mine was so expensive because they replaced the entire sunroof and not just the glass in the back portion.

Damn thats expensive. So both glass sections where replaced?

Limram19

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, about 50 mph, and out of nowhere there was a loud glass explosion. It scared the **** out of me:eek:. I pulled over to inspect my truck and the first half of the sunroof was shattered. Good thing I had the screen completely closed. But it’s a bummer, my limited just has 1000 miles on it. Drove it to the local dealership and was told it normally takes a day or two for Chrysler to respond on warranty.

Has this happened to anyone?
I just joined this form and seen you have had the same issue that just happened to me today. So what did the dealer do for you ?

TxsRam

Reaction score
I just joined this form and seen you have had the same issue that just happened to me today. So what did the dealer do for you ?
Not covered by warranty. There reasoning was that "something" might have hit the glass.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
Ok Thx... However imho that's acceptable for rear windows or windows on the side but a window that has the potential to fall on the driver? Rather concerning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t would have to be laminated glass like the windshield in order to maintain its shape, and that would add unnecessary weight.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I picked up a Mercedes A220 about a month ago and yesterday the panoramic sunroof exploded.

They're fixing everything including the damage to the vehicle. In my opinion, this should also be fixed by RAM. Mercedes was also hesitant to file it as their fault and I used this as ammo

"Look, if you want this to go to my insurance, it's whatever. My deductible for this vehicle is $100. However, let me ask you this: What type of product is Mercedes putting out there where a sunroof can explode going 65-70mph down the road in 80-degree weather and no traffic around? If this is the type of quality I will be expecting out of the German market, this is the last of the German market I'll purchase"

They couldn't really come up with a comment on that and hence, they're fixing everything.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been hit in the windshield with a rock on an interstate and there was no traffic around me. I saw it coming at me before it impacted. With vehicles traveling at 70mph, crazy stuff does happen.

If this was a systemic problem, with the hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the roads with them, you'd think it would be more common than the rarity it really is.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a rarity but doesn't happen frequently. Google results show this same thing happening in all makes. I think the fact that the glass is part of the structural strength of the body and gets a lot of pressure when the body twist makes it vulnerable. It is what it is. My advise: make sure your insurance covers ALL glass. Mine does.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tiz why I'm looking into the 60 mph hour thing. It appears that is the magic number (well 60-65). But, yes, part of the truck structure. Maybe mount a Raspberry PI and camera up there to film it every time the truck reaches 55 mph and see how much it "pulsates" or fluctuates while driving.. I don't remember anyone saying it their roof was open or not, I'd have to scroll through each thread to see.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I've been hit in the windshield with a rock on an interstate and there was no traffic around me. I saw it coming at me before it impacted. With vehicles traveling at 70mph, crazy stuff does happen.

If this was a systemic problem, with the hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the roads with them, you'd think it would be more common than the rarity it really is.

If you got hit by a rock on the interstate, there had to of been traffic coming somewhere. Rocks don't just magically start flying when there is no force given. Not possible to get hit by anything in front of you if there's nothing there. To take this further, the chances of it hitting a closed sunroof given how aerodynamic my mercedes is... doesn't even matter if there was traffic. I meant that this was like a small highway with NOTHING around me but open road.

My sunroof exploded because of a manufacturer's defect.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't another vehicle within 500 yards of us, but some driver put some significant energy into a rock about the size of a marble. It just took a while to get to me. That was my point. It may not seem like the roof could have been hit by something, but it could have been.

I've been hit at least twice by rocks that were bouncing on the roadway and I saw them coming at the last second. An object just has to bounce in an arc high enough to be coming down on the roof and hit just right to break tempered glass.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
since I'm kinda new here -- how would be go about getting a POLL hard-linked to the top?

Here are some items I have been keeping track of:
Parked (for more than say 30 mins?)

Moving (Under 55)
Moving 55-65
Moving (Over 65)

Was it only the rear portion of the window? (aka the stationary portion)

Was the Pano-roof:
Open
Closed

Were your side windows:
Open
Closed

?build date?
?maybe temperature outside?

So far, most of us has somewhat come to the conclusion that it has something to do with either:
1 - inferior tempered glass (if the glass is "cooked" too long, it becomes brittle)
2 - fluttering of the window (from the air over the top of the cab causing fluctuations up and down)

also, if it is a manufacturer's defect, then it could also be installation procedures. There is a bind or tweak in the body compared to the pano roof so there is already stress on the glass causing a twist or bend already.

It may also be any combination of 1 or more of the above. I'd love to mount a camera on that pane and drive at 55-65 and see if the glass bows/buckles/fluctuates at all. My rig is starting to be built this week, so it won't be another month at least until I can mount the camera.

jpaudet

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, about 50 mph, and out of nowhere there was a loud glass explosion. It scared the **** out of me:eek:. I pulled over to inspect my truck and the first half of the sunroof was shattered. Good thing I had the screen completely closed. But it’s a bummer, my limited just has 1000 miles on it. Drove it to the local dealership and was told it normally takes a day or two for Chrysler to respond on warranty.

The same incident happen to me yesterday but it was the rear section. Just took my truck (who was park in my garage since 2 weeks for vacations) and at first stop in my street it exploded by bulged outward. Was very happy to not have the kids seated in the back seat... On thé video and you still can ear the glass popping like popcorn... it was few seconds after but 2 hours after, we still eared that...Stop to the dealer and claim it under warranty. Don’t know how long it will be.

Already lost an automatic step side on highway, problem with my 12” screen and now that... only 6200 miles and very not impress at all. As soon as the new Tahoe will be announced I will seriously have a look... First Ram and maybe my last for few years....

Attachments

• B4DF49E6-6CE5-4C73-9845-4964CD343DCB.jpeg
    B4DF49E6-6CE5-4C73-9845-4964CD343DCB.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 893BA29D-C814-432B-9A88-A08530E4335B.jpeg
    893BA29D-C814-432B-9A88-A08530E4335B.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 138
  • C4051B65-6662-4C8E-9800-ADF8EDC3FD93.jpeg
    C4051B65-6662-4C8E-9800-ADF8EDC3FD93.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 141

drstein

Reaction score
The Consumer Reports article listed earlier in this thread is from '17 and very interesting. Apparently manufacturers are aware but not stepping up to the plate. Also intriquing is it seems to be happening more as sunroof size has expanded to the mega sunroofs of today.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My sedan's roof is almost entirely made of glass. That really wasn't a thing a decade ago.

Dillon guido

Reaction score

This just happened to me yesterday, 2020 ram

PostPremium

Reaction score
Happened to me over a decade ago while driving a 2005 Honda Accord. Scared the bejeebus out of me.

bmad

Reaction score
Happened to me today on my 2021 Rebel that is 6 months old with 6000 miles. Its at the dealership. We will see what they say. I will say that if it is not covered by warranty then it will be the last Ram I ever buy.

Attachments

• Sunroom Damage.jpg
    Sunroom Damage.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 54

PostPremium

Reaction score
Happened to me today on my 2021 Rebel that is 6 months old with 6000 miles. Its at the dealership. We will see what they say. I will say that if it is not covered by warranty then it will be the last Ram I ever buy.
Was your sunroof tinted?

Users who are viewing this thread