5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding panoramic sunroof

TxsRam

Reaction score
That totally sucks but I kinda figured they would say something like that.

I bet it will be an expensive fix
The thing that gets my blood pumping is that they are declining on a probability of something hit it without finding any proof.

To my surprise they quoted me $380 for glass and install. IMO this is cheap. But regardless I don’t think I should be paying for this.

TxsRam

Reaction score
A few years ago in my Jeep, i went for a drive to the beach. It was dark, and i filled up a 32oz type of travel coffee mug with sprite, and went on my way.

A while into the trip, i guess I didnt take a sip yet. All of a sudden i heard a loud bang, just someone shot a gun in the car. Scared the hell out of me.

The carbonation inside the mug built up so much oressure, that the lid, screwed on tight and all, SOMEHOW forced it to absolutely shoot up and off that cup. It was a metal cup with a plastic lid!

I never use sunroofs, so the shade was closed. I can see it could have done the same exact damage that occured to yours. I am sure youd be aware if this was your case, obviously. Just sharing a story yhat helps you absolutely zero.
I sure didn’t have any drinks inside my truck for pressure to built up. At this point I’m clueless.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The thing that gets my blood pumping is that they are declining on a probability of something hit it without finding any proof.

To my surprise they quoted me $380 for glass and install. IMO this is cheap. But regardless I don’t think I should be paying for this.
That does seem really low. Good luck!

Cannonball

Reaction score
1. It wasn't pressure unless your ears were bleeding
2. It wasn't misalignment becsuse there are no sheer fractures, it's a point load.
3. It volcano'd due to negative pressure just after the bridge of the windshield. The air is compacted at the windshield then forced above the roof a few inches and will draw a vacuum on the glass due to velocity (That's what the sun roof air damn accentuates so the air stays above the roof opening).
4. I'm assuming you live in Texas. Do they have guns and gravity there?

There's a million reasons that could explain this but you'll never know which it was. I'd be livid at the dealer too simply from a business ethics standpoint! But i get it. Really no way to prove warranty. Like you said, 380 all in is cheap! Pay the Piper and never go there again.

Good luck!

dannydyn

Reaction score
Tell the dealer to locate the object that supposedly hit your sunroof. If your screen was closed, it simply would be lying right on top of the screen. The dealer's answer is pure bull5hit. Ask Jennifer (replied here) from Ram for assistance.

Side question (I don't own one yet): is there ANY level of tint/shade on the sunroof? Because every car I've owned so far with a sunroof, had the glass tinted from the factory.

kliffy77

Reaction score
I feel sorry for you that’s scary and realy sucks, I avoided the Panoramic Sunroof when i ordered my truck.

kliffy77

Reaction score
I intentionally avoided the panoramic sunroof & air suspension, I got everything else!

TxsRam

Reaction score
Good luck![/QUOTE]
Tell the dealer to locate the object that supposedly hit your sunroof. If your screen was closed, it simply would be lying right on top of the screen. The dealer's answer is pure bull5hit. Ask Jennifer (replied here) from Ram for assistance.

Side question (I don't own one yet): is there ANY level of tint/shade on the sunroof? Because every car I've owned so far with a sunroof, had the glass tinted from the factory.

Already did, they told me they would check and vacuum the glass if I authorize the repair. No help from Ram. I was told they depend on their certified dealers review and inspection. I guess I'll just have to pay for repair.

From what I recall, this truck does not have a tinted sunroof.

TxsRam

Reaction score
1. It wasn't pressure unless your ears were bleeding
2. It wasn't misalignment becsuse there are no sheer fractures, it's a point load.
3. It volcano'd due to negative pressure just after the bridge of the windshield. The air is compacted at the windshield then forced above the roof a few inches and will draw a vacuum on the glass due to velocity (That's what the sun roof air **** accentuates so the air stays above the roof opening).
4. I'm assuming you live in Texas. Do they have guns and gravity there?

There's a million reasons that could explain this but you'll never know which it was. I'd be livid at the dealer too simply from a business ethics standpoint! But i get it. Really no way to prove warranty. Like you said, 380 all in is cheap! Pay the Piper and never go there again.

Good luck!
I see your point. But would stress or a tight fit of the sunroof cause this to blow up?? It is what is, I'll just have to pay for the repair. What bothers me was the bs answer I was given.

No guns and gravity here in Texas :D

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TxsRam, have you checked with your automobile insurance company. I know I have full glass coverage with my insurance. Perhaps the sunroof is covered.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The sunroof is tinted to a degree but I am not sure how much. Definitely isn’t completely clear glass.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This usually happens due to an impact. @Cannonball statement above as to the negative pressure in that location is correct.
Aero.JPG

As to the evidence being in the truck as to the cause of an impact, an object doesn't have to travel through the glass to break it.

I've had 3 vehicles with panoramic sunroofs. They have benefits and risks. This is why we have insurance.

I've been hit in the windshield by rocks (that I saw coming right at me) when there weren't any vehicles within several hundred yards of me. Shhhtuff happens.

Last edited:

TxsRam

Reaction score
TxsRam, have you checked with your automobile insurance company. I know I have full glass coverage with my insurance. Perhaps the sunroof is covered.
Not yet but now I will. I will check with my auto insurance company.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not yet but now I will. I will check with my auto insurance company.
Had a pano in my last Volvo and it cracked. I thought it was misalignment until the service manager found a small spot where a stone hit the glass. He told me he sees lots of them. It just needs to hit the right spot.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
File this in the "that sux" category.

Rare occurrence? Will probably never happen to you again.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube where a guy heard from a tech that if you tint your sunroof....on a hot day it could crack/break.

Last edited:

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Call RAM CARE.

I love my truck but I also habe been having multiple issues with my ram. Welcome to the club...

But ram care should help you out it's a brand new truck. If u need it fixed asap u can for that 380 but try and get a refund from ram care.

Suxx a s s but these trucks are too expensive and too new to be having these issues. Don't settle

Users who are viewing this thread