5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding panoramic sunroof

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been on dozens of car/truck forums for more than 20 years and I think I have seen this happen from time to time with every make.

screamin chicken

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, about 50 mph, and out of nowhere there was a loud glass explosion. It scared the **** out of me:eek:. I pulled over to inspect my truck and the first half of the sunroof was shattered. Good thing I had the screen completely closed. But it’s a bummer, my limited just has 1000 miles on it. Drove it to the local dealership and was told it normally takes a day or two for Chrysler to respond on warranty.

Has this happened to anyone?
Now that makes me think twice about tinting mine, not saying yours is tinted...

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should have either read this thread before ordering my truck, or not at all. Now I’m panoramic paranoid. 🥺

I did get my sunroof tinted, which makes me feel better. It won’t prevent breaking (and hopefully doesn’t contribute to it), but maybe would prevent glass hailing down on me if it does break.

I wonder if a film on the outside would offer protection against pebbles.

Zig10

Reaction score
I have been on dozens of car/truck forums for more than 20 years and I think I have seen this happen from time to time with every make.
I certainly saw the same story over on the Expedition boards... These giant sunroofs are just more trouble than they're worth.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the pano roofs on a few Jeeps since 2012 and never an issue with any of them. It sucks, but I don't think it's a common enough issue that would cause me to not get it.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened to me today on my 2021 Rebel that is 6 months old with 6000 miles. Its at the dealership. We will see what they say. I will say that if it is not covered by warranty then it will be the last Ram I ever buy.

Yours was the front .. there was a couple we had at the dealership where the trim was binding .. hopefully they replace it for you.

Rambro1776

Reaction score
This thread inspired me to ask my agent about adding glass coverage to my policy. Apparently state farm doesn't offer this and instead covers it under comprehensive coverage. I have a pretty high deductable though so I think I'm going to shop around to find someone that will write a separate policy just for the windshield and sunroof. I don't want to have to go out of pocket 2 to 3 times a year for windshields before insurance kicks in.

I have Safeco. They have excellent windshield coverage included. Replaced an entire windshield in my F150 after it cracked, no charge, no deductible, no rate increase. I get one repair a year without being charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

I have Safeco. They have excellent windshield coverage included. Replaced an entire windshield in my F150 after it cracked, no charge, no deductible, no rate increase. I get one repair a year without being charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windshield vs a dual pane piece of glass covering the entire top of your vehicle = 2 different things.

HastyRam

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, about 50 mph, and out of nowhere there was a loud glass explosion. It scared the **** out of me:eek:. I pulled over to inspect my truck and the first half of the sunroof was shattered. Good thing I had the screen completely closed. But it’s a bummer, my limited just has 1000 miles on it. Drove it to the local dealership and was told it normally takes a day or two for Chrysler to respond on warranty.

Has this happened to anyone?
I was driving to work this morning and had this very same thing happen to me. Bone stock truck and was going 60 mph, screen was closed as well. The volume of the explosion sound scared the crap out of me. Pulled over and was shocked to see all the glass looked as if it was pushed up out of the truck. I took the truck to the dealer and they claimed not under warranty due to time an milage (2 years old/30k miles). So I coughed up the money to order the part with COVID backorder. When getting home reviewed the warranty book and website fine print. Stated nothing about sunroof at all. I then called FCA customer care and they said I was correct and they will look into it. Basic warranty states only the windshield and rear glass are only not covered after 12 months/12k miles. A manager should be calling me back in the morning.

Attachments

• 20220801_070206.jpg
    20220801_070206.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220801_070252.jpg
    20220801_070252.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220801_070302.jpg
    20220801_070302.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220801_070200.jpg
    20220801_070200.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220801_070210.jpg
    20220801_070210.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220801_070305.jpg
    20220801_070305.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220801_070202.jpg
    20220801_070202.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220801_070255.jpg
    20220801_070255.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 57

Derek916

Reaction score
I was driving to work this morning and had this very same thing happen to me. Bone stock truck and was going 60 mph, screen was closed as well. The volume of the explosion sound scared the crap out of me. Pulled over and was shocked to see all the glass looked as if it was pushed up out of the truck. I took the truck to the dealer and they claimed not under warranty due to time an milage (2 years old/30k miles). So I coughed up the money to order the part with COVID backorder. When getting home reviewed the warranty book and website fine print. Stated nothing about sunroof at all. I then called FCA customer care and they said I was correct and they will look into it. Basic warranty states only the windshield and rear glass are only not covered after 12 months/12k miles. A manager should be calling me back in the morning.
Did any glass get into your cab?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hate to hear this. It’s been my greatest fear ever since I ordered my pano. Good grief is that a lot of glass.😲

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always been in the anti camp, but always assumed the glass was strong enough, so I guess this is one more reason to add to my list...

Last edited:

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the reason my '21 doesn't have the pano. I had one on my 2012 Grand Cherokee and it exploded on me. Pulled out from a stop sign with absolutely nothing around and BOOOOOM. Scared the crap out of me and my daughter. Luckily I had the screen closed so no glass fell on us. The cool views are nice, but not worth it for me. I still get a twinge if I'm a passenger in a vehicle with one. ;)

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these exploding in hot or cold climates? Wonder if it is a heat issue.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are these exploding in hot or cold climates? Wonder if it is a heat issue.

It's not. I've read about this issue for the last few years and it happens on cold and hot days.

I wouldn't sweat it. There are millions of Ram trucks that have panoramic sunroofs and just a very small fraction of owners have experienced this issue.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not. I've read about this issue for the last few years and it happens on cold and hot days.

I wouldn't sweat it. There are millions of Ram trucks that have panoramic sunroofs and just a very small fraction of owners have experienced this issue.
Over the past 20 years I've seen dozens of different types of vehicles where this happens. Scary for sure, but not limited to Rams.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That’s what I was thinking, too.

HastyRam

Reaction score
Did any glass get into your cab?
No the cover was closed, thankfully. I was just told today that they FCA won't cover it under warranty. Despite the warranty stating that only the windshield and rear glass are not covered (excluded after 12k/1yr). I have it in writing and will file a formal complaint to FCA. More to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread