5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expectations for new vehicle.

Kurant

Reaction score
So I've had various issues with fit and finish and they seem really small, well, except water lines in the door panels at 250 miles, which they fixed.

But I have this spot in the middle of the passenger side glove box, against the seam and it's almost like dented or the seam is pushed in flat. It's nothing major and I don't want to seem petty or be a pain in the ***, but I've let it go for 2 1/2 months. No one would notice it most likely, but I drive it everyday and look at it. Lol.

Am I wrong to say something? Should I have the expectation that my $70,000 truck should be perfect?

Last edited:

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I don't think you are wrong, YOUR gut feeling (and pocket $70,000) definitely don't think you are wrong!!!

Picture might get better opinions as to how it sticks out in "our" opinion(s); but you see, "itch" at that thought daily and after 2.5 months its broadening not fading away!!!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not wrong at all, most to all of us this is a big purchase if not the biggest purchase made on a vehicle. For the money spent I expect a higher level of quality fit and finish.
Nothing is perfect, as long as issue is made right with out resistance I’m good with that.

steveved

Reaction score
Since it does not say in your signature file, is it safe to assume you have a Limited?

EJanx07

Reaction score
Not at all.. my driver side-rear door is off alignment I think (19’ Big Horn-Lone Star). I can’t see any variation in space gap’s/differences between the door and cab, but I sure as hell can hear a sound difference. Haha! it doesn’t shut/latch like my 3 other doors. A little more wind and road noise comes from that side of my truck, and it’s been driving me nuts for the 3 weeks I’ve had it! My biggest pet-peeve, is just the lack of satisfying deep sound it doesn’t make when I shut that door! LOL .. I always shut it twice, cause I’m worried that its gonna fly open cruising down the freeway at 80mph... Going to dealership today to see if they can adjust/fix it.
I know my issue seems petty, but just like the folks said above, when you drop that much cash on a truck (especially for the price tag in 2019), I expect my truck to be pretty flawless physically. I think we can all agree on this,

Kurant

Reaction score
I don't think you are wrong, YOUR gut feeling (and pocket $70,000) definitely don't think you are wrong!!!

Picture might get better opinions as to how it sticks out in "our" opinion(s); but you see, "itch" at that thought daily and after 2.5 months its broadening not fading away!!!

Here is the picture. You can see the depression.

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_110322.jpg
    IMG_20190202_110322.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not bugged by build variations. I'm sure I can find things in my truck that aren't "perfect" but it's not worth the effort or time to mess with. It's not a big deal. It's mass produced and in another year or two it'll be owned by somebody else. It's not a museum collection piece or a million dollar Ridler Great 8 award vehicle.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess you're talking about the area between the stitching? Have you tried pinching the leather a bit with your fingers in that area to see if you can work it out and blend it in with the leather on both sides?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Here is the picture. You can see the depression.

Make no mistake, i DO treat my trucks like "museum pieces".... There is not even one day that goes by upon exiting my vehicle that i don't take "every single piece of ANYTHING" that came in it with me in the morning. With current and all previous RAMS, I have never ever put a beverage in the cupholder becuz EVEN tho you can clean them or remove them to clean, they just will never seem as brand new again, unless the only thing that ever touches them is surface dust.....

Now, that being said, i saw the depression you speak of , but to be honest i related MORE to what you were saying BEFORE seeing the pic : ) Even i, the most fussbudget Ram owner there prolly ever was, would not be bothered by that... UNLESS i was "the passenger"... THEN it would be "on"..... lol

Kurant

Reaction score
Make no mistake, i DO treat my trucks like "museum pieces".... There is not even one day that goes by upon exiting my vehicle that i don't take "every single piece of ANYTHING" that came in it with me in the morning. With current and all previous RAMS, I have never ever put a beverage in the cupholder becuz EVEN tho you can clean them or remove them to clean, they just will never seem as brand new again, unless the only thing that ever touches them is surface dust.....

Now, that being said, i saw the depression you speak of , but to be honest i related MORE to what you were saying BEFORE seeing the pic : ) Even i, the most fussbudget Ram owner there prolly ever was, would not be bothered by that... UNLESS i was "the passenger"... THEN it would be "on"..... lol

Have to understand, I was an aircraft mechanic for 22 years. I never really bought vehicles I didn't intend to use for my work. I bought used trucks mostly my whole life, because I had to transport fuel or tools so often. Now, I'm still A&P certified, but I'm in the corporate world and the boss now. I don't have to do the work anymore, and when I do they own the vehicles we drive. I have an old truck when I do FAA certifications and work on the side with small aircraft.

So I don't want to be obsessive and I think I'm just going to let it be - I just never spend $70,000 on a truck before. Lol.

I am going to try that hair dryer fix though. Lol.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have to understand, I was an aircraft mechanic for 22 years. I never really bought vehicles I didn't intend to use for my work. I bought used trucks mostly my whole life, because I had to transport fuel or tools so often. Now, I'm still A&P certified, but I'm in the corporate world and the boss now. I don't have to do the work anymore, and when I do they own the vehicles we drive. I have an old truck when I do FAA certifications and work on the side with small aircraft.

So I don't want to be obsessive and I think I'm just going to let it be - I just never spend $70,000 on a truck before. Lol.

I am going to try that hair dryer fix though. Lol.
I'm ridiculously OCD and stuff like that makes me crazy. Truck, car...I'm just that way. I would have the dealer look at it and have their interior person fix it. I've tried the hair dryer method before with very limited success. If you aren't used to doing it regularly you can do more damage than good. The interior guy will survey it and if it can be done they will warranty it. I have a number of interior fit/finish issues that I would like resolved so it's worth, at a minimum, having a pro look at it. I agree it's an expensive truck and mass production doesnt take away from what you paid and what you expect for the money. I love my truck but have never been so disappointed with such poor quality control in over 40 years of buying vehicles. Have it looked at if it bothers you. You are not being petty.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd try a cloths steamer to work it out. It'll soften the material beneath without damaging.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealer shouldn’t care. They should want to make you happy so you come back and buy more and also service your vehicle there. That’s if they are a good dealer. Plus, if it’s warranty work, they get paid so it’s business for them! You’re not asking for anything free. I think it’s readonable to expect everything to be perfect (or made perfect) when you first get your vehicle. After a while, things happen, and you should try and not get nuts because then you will make yourself crazy instead of enjoying it. But for now, go get things made right.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
well i hope they do fix it and give you no frustration or grief getting it done : )

i guess i am a little "soured" by ALL Service Depts, i mean from something sooooo major like the Takata airbag defect in my Vipor Ram from so many other issues i've had over the years, i've come to expect pretty poor service on most issues BIG & SMALL....

I'm old enuf to remember what GOOD Customer Service was, it used to make me crazy to see how its dwindled, and how it is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to even get your issue in front of the right person who can do something about it, or if even such a person EVEN exists in most companies operating today.....,

So now, for the most part, i have just come to expect lacklustre CS and when they are concerned with an issue and "hop right on it" i'm delighted : )

I know it SHOULDN'T be that way, but i've "shaken my fists" at enough injustices in my life, so now complacency is my path....and just for good measure, i spit my gum on their floor...
lol j/k i don't do that : )

EJanx07

Reaction score
Update from my dealership-trip yesterday:
I went to the dealership yesterday, and left very frustrated, and honestly pissed.
1st: the “lead mechanic” didn’t look a day over 20yrs old, and was a “no-it-all” as punks that age usually are.
2nd: he Was a little smart a##, and acted like I was nuts about my LR Door being out of alignment. My LR Door doesn’t sound like it latches fully (sounds almost shallow like something is blocking a full secure latch) when I shut it, like the 3 other doors and the road noise is much more apparent on that particular door area.
I brought up previous discussions I’ve read on here, from other owners with the same issue(s), to him. He smirked, then stated: “I’ve been around 100’s of these new body style Rams and NEVER seen any issues with the doors being out of alignment “. “They’ve only been out for a couple months”. (Pretty sure these have been out since middle of last year? Or since last fall) “If there was an issue, I’d know about it and so would Dodge”.
He told me: he had “his” mechanic measure everything, and that all doors are within code” I asked him to check the hinges and latches, and before I could finish the last word in my sentence, he interrupted saying “we did”.
Needless to say, I won’t be going back there again, and it’s frustrating when I drop that amount of cash on a brand new truck, you would think their customer service would be a lot better!
So.... after all that, my door isn’t fixed. I honestly don’t believe he even looked at the door and hinges.
What do you folks think I should do for the next step?
Go to a different dealer to see if they will look at it?
Like i said, I know I’m not crazy because I’ve read in here that others are having the same issue or even much worse than mine with their door(s)..
Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update from my dealership-trip yesterday:
I went to the dealership yesterday, and left very frustrated, and honestly pissed.
1st: the “lead mechanic” didn’t look a day over 20yrs old, and was a “no-it-all” as punks that age usually are.
2nd: he Was a little smart a##, and acted like I was nuts about my LR Door being out of alignment. My LR Door doesn’t sound like it latches fully (sounds almost shallow like something is blocking a full secure latch) when I shut it, like the 3 other doors and the road noise is much more apparent on that particular door area.
I brought up previous discussions I’ve read on here, from other owners with the same issue(s), to him. He smirked, then stated: “I’ve been around 100’s of these new body style Rams and NEVER seen any issues with the doors being out of alignment “. “They’ve only been out for a couple months”. (Pretty sure these have been out since middle of last year? Or since last fall) “If there was an issue, I’d know about it and so would Dodge”.
He told me: he had “his” mechanic measure everything, and that all doors are within code” I asked him to check the hinges and latches, and before I could finish the last word in my sentence, he interrupted saying “we did”.
Needless to say, I won’t be going back there again, and it’s frustrating when I drop that amount of cash on a brand new truck, you would think their customer service would be a lot better!
So.... after all that, my door isn’t fixed. I honestly don’t believe he even looked at the door and hinges.
What do you folks think I should do for the next step?
Go to a different dealer to see if they will look at it?
Like i said, I know I’m not crazy because I’ve read in here that others are having the same issue or even much worse than mine with their door(s)..
Thanks!
The 2019s have been out since last spring.
It’s a Ram, not a Dodge (since 2009).
It’s not uncommon to see (and need to address) minor body fitment issues.
This kid’s attitude should be escalated to FCA.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2019s have been out since last spring.
It’s a Ram, not a Dodge (since 2009).
It’s not uncommon to see (and need to address) minor body fitment issues.
This kid’s attitude should be escalated to FCA.
Totally unacceptable. His attitude needs correcting.

Washy1

Reaction score
I feel your pain. After having the truck a week a squeak developed in the center console arm rest cover. When I took it back to the dealer at first the service adviser acted as though I was crazy, but once they checked it out they ordered a replacement cover and now it's great. I would look to another dealership if they are not addressing your concerns. After all, 70k is not chump change.

Users who are viewing this thread