5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust

Mother

Reaction score
Drove a little more with the MBRP yesterday afternoon. Wife and baby in the car, including some freeway with cruise control at ~70-75. Very happy with my choice. It has a great sound and no complaints of it being loud or droning. Only time it we found a little drone was when ECO mode kicked on at lower speeds... ~40mph or so you could hear the sound change, but it wasn't at all intrusive.

I was about to buy a direct replacement muffler, but it seems like many who do end up also doing resonator deletes. Add in a set of tips and it adds up quickly. I got the MBRP system in 304 stainless for ~$572 shipped (I was worried if this price was legit, but it proved to be true). Just a few dollars more than getting all of the replacement parts I had in my cart and they were still 409 stainless.

I did have a small snag. When I opened the box I found a box full of 304 pipes, but they had mistakenly put a 409 muffler in the box. I called MBRP and they were very helpful. They asked that I email a picture of the muffler and a copy of my sales receipt. I did and they responded that the correct muffler would be shipped out to me asap. No need to return the 409 muffler, I could keep it as a spare. That being the case, I decided to go ahead and install the system with the 409 muffler and I will just swap it out later. Great customer service!

Chuck19

Reaction score
Drove a little more with the MBRP yesterday afternoon. Wife and baby in the car, including some freeway with cruise control at ~70-75. Very happy with my choice. It has a great sound and no complaints of it being loud or droning. Only time it we found a little drone was when ECO mode kicked on at lower speeds... ~40mph or so you could hear the sound change, but it wasn't at all intrusive.

I was about to buy a direct replacement muffler, but it seems like many who do end up also doing resonator deletes. Add in a set of tips and it adds up quickly. I got the MBRP system in 304 stainless for ~$572 shipped (I was worried if this price was legit, but it proved to be true). Just a few dollars more than getting all of the replacement parts I had in my cart and they were still 409 stainless.

I did have a small snag. When I opened the box I found a box full of 304 pipes, but they had mistakenly put a 409 muffler in the box. I called MBRP and they were very helpful. They asked that I email a picture of the muffler and a copy of my sales receipt. I did and they responded that the correct muffler would be shipped out to me asap. No need to return the 409 muffler, I could keep it as a spare. That being the case, I decided to go ahead and install the system with the 409 muffler and I will just swap it out later. Great customer service!
Just curious where you got your setup?

Mother

Reaction score
Just curious where you got your setup?

I had googled the MBRP part number, S5152304, and found the deal I got on "Discount Bandit." I wasn't familiar and it seemed kind of weird, but it turns out they get in touch with different retailers and hook up the deal. The purchase ended up being completed through Rock Bottom Truck, who is an authorized MBRP distributor.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I had googled the MBRP part number, S5152304, and found the deal I got on "Discount Bandit." I wasn't familiar and it seemed kind of weird, but it turns out they get in touch with different retailers and hook up the deal. The purchase ended up being completed through Rock Bottom Truck, who is an authorized MBRP distributor.
Thanks man that’s a smoking deal! I will look into it. So you say you haven’t experienced any drone? That sounds what I’m looking for and based on your startup clip seems to have a nice low rumble!

Mother

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of highway driving, but from what I've done so far I haven't noticed any drone. In any case, if you got it and decided it was a little too loud (which I doubt would happen) the front pipe is perfectly straight so it would be pretty easy to add a resonator in there.

I've had cars before that I put back to stock or changed from one exhaust to another because of drone or unpleasing sound and I don't see myself doing that with this.

Worth noting, the pictures online aren't the best, but if you want the nicer double walled tips they only come with the 304 version. The 409 or aluminized versions come with single wall rolled tips. I had emailed MBRP to confirm that before I made my purchase.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Search that number on here and Google. What I have come across on here is a short clip of a cold start on a 2019, Google yields other rams but not many/any 5th gen's. Mine will be installed next week if you can wait, I'll post up a good vid.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Search that number on here and Google. What I have come across on here is a short clip of a cold start on a 2019, Google yields other rams but not many/any 5th gen's. Mine will be installed next week if you can wait, I'll post up a good vid.
I can wait. Did not find much help on Google. Where did you buy from and are you just doing the muffler, or removing the resonators as well?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered off Amazon, and just checked on it and it shows delivery tomorrow. If I have some extra time tomorrow afternoon, I'll get it welded in. Keeping the resonators for now. May remove later but I cannot stand drone. That frequency gives me a terrible headache. Not saying I would have any by removing them, but my best guess is that I would probably get some in eco mode. I only drive in Tow/Haul mode, with the extra weight of my 22's with 285/55R Yokohama Geolandars and 2" wheel spacers, I like the extra engine braking, I like the extra RPM prior to shifting, and I do not pay for my own fuel. So drone in eco may not be an issue for me when removing the reso's. At first, I'll keep them and let it marinate for a bit.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Yea I’m waiting/hoping AWE does one for our trucks. They just released their system for the 5.7 charger/challenger and it sounds amazing! I had their exhaust on my Mustang and god I miss that sound. Go listen and then email them that you want it for our trucks(even if you don’t lol)

That does sound sick, but for that price it better. I am trying to avoid full catback and just add a nice sounding muffler. But yes that is a very nice sound. That race track version is crazy!

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That does sound sick, but for that price it better. I am trying to avoid full catback and just add a nice sounding muffler. But yes that is a very nice sound. That race track version is crazy!
If it’s anything like the F150 it will be cheaper than the cars by a couple hundred

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That indeed was a short clip. I found this one with. Not sure what Borla XS model it is, but if this is what out trucks sound like with resonators deleted, I will be keeping mine on for sure.

Here is one with the 40353 with and without reso's. I think without does sound better. It's never easy to do sound clip vids, phone/camera quality, wind noise, air quality all affect the sound and tone. I'll add mine soon enough and will be able to decide what I like. When I have mine installed, I'll get them to plug the weep holes in the reso's as well.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Here is one with the 40353 with and without reso's. I think without does sound better. It's never easy to do sound clip vids, phone/camera quality, wind noise, air quality all affect the sound and tone. I'll add mine soon enough and will be able to decide what I like. When I have mine installed, I'll get them to plug the weep holes in the reso's as well.
Way too poppy with resonators. My only concern is will it be too loud for what I am trying to accomplish. I live on a military installation and our houses are basically attached in pairs. Also I am fortunate to be able to back into my garage, unlike some, and I work odd hours. Might be a concern of waking the family and even neighbors when leaving for work around midnight. Maybe not though. If I don't go this route, I will likely look into the FlowFx muffler only replacement. But that Borla does sound nice.

whetrick1

Reaction score
That indeed was a short clip. I found this one with. Not sure what Borla XS model it is, but if this is what out trucks sound like with resonators deleted, I will be keeping mine on for sure.

That sounds real good but I wonder what about cabin drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Way too poppy with resonators. My only concern is will it be too loud for what I am trying to accomplish. I live on a military installation and our houses are basically attached in pairs. Also I am fortunate to be able to back into my garage, unlike some, and I work odd hours. Might be a concern of waking the family and even neighbors when leaving for work around midnight. Maybe not though. If I don't go this route, I will likely look into the FlowFx muffler only replacement. But that Borla does sound nice.

I just bought the Borla muffler of Amazon and had the factory drum muffler cut off and put the Borla on. Mine sounds real good and I left the resonators on. I think the muffler was 125.00 dollars and to have it put on the muffler shop charged me 40.00 dollars. On mine they had to make 2 short pipes to attach the muffler to the dual tail pipes because the original drum muffler was one in and one out to the dual tail pipes.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
That sounds real good but I wonder what about cabin drone.

I personally don't like the way this one sounds, might be the way the video was taken. As Dookie mentioned, there are many subjective factors that go into how it sounds on video. I like the sound at idle, but did not like it when he was revving. Seems like instead of just revving and releasing, he might have been holding the pedal when the RPM were slowly decreasing. But to me there was too much poppiness (if that's even a word) or almost like an inconsistent backfire. But the second one that Dookie just posted with the sound coming directly from the back sounds really nice.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I just bought the Borla muffler of Amazon and had the factory drum muffler cut off and put the Borla on. Mine sounds real good and I left the resonators on. I think the muffler was 125.00 dollars and to have it put on the muffler shop charged me 40.00 dollars. On mine they had to make 2 short pipes to attach the muffler to the dual tail pipes because the original drum muffler was one in and one out to the dual tail pipes.

Any chance you can post a video or sound clip of yours? Might go a long way in this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread