5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Options

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7, and it has an exhaust leak (manifold). From what I've read this is fairly common, and likely to happen again with the stock parts every 30k miles (give or take). I'm currently still waiting for the dealer to get the parts in for repair (free of charge), but just curious what options are out there.

1. Would these be the same as the original, or does 'performance' indicate it's an upgraded part?
  2. While I'm likely to let the dealer handle it this time, if I have to do it again down the road and want to keep the truck, what's the best upgraded option to avoid this problem again (or does one exists)?
Thanks in advance, I'm totally unfamiliar with these trucks/engines so learning on the fly.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7, and it has an exhaust leak (manifold). From what I've read this is fairly common, and likely to happen again with the stock parts every 30k miles (give or take). I'm currently still waiting for the dealer to get the parts in for repair (free of charge), but just curious what options are out there.

1. Would these be the same as the original, or does 'performance' indicate it's an upgraded part?
  2. While I'm likely to let the dealer handle it this time, if I have to do it again down the road and want to keep the truck, what's the best upgraded option to avoid this problem again (or does one exists)?
Thanks in advance, I'm totally unfamiliar with these trucks/engines so learning on the fly.
Those are SRT manifolds for a Jeep. Not for a 5.7. They do crack more often than they should, but not every 30,000 miles. Many people never have them crack once.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
The fitment guide on that link says they fit but they are meant for the 6.4l's. Pretty sure they have been discussed before and proven to fit on the 5.7.

I'm out of warranty and still trying to decide if I want to go with OEM or get shorty headers. The internet and personal experience says both are going to need attention again at some point so either is likely a gamble, one is just a lot cheaper and marginally easier to install.

FYI, here's the current numbers for the OEM manifolds which total $140.72 plus S&H, ($37.56) from Allmoparparts.com
Left Side Manifold Kit - 68591573AB - ($75.05)
Right Side Manifold Kit - 68591572AB - ($65.67), showing on backorder.

It looks like the BBK Shorty's are back in stock but I question the quality at a price nearly half that of AFE.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Are the studs breaking the big pain for this repair? My 2017 had the manifold warp and pop two studs clean off. Had to get fancy with a welder and a nut to get them out. Not fun.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Sounds like broken studs greatly adds to install time but this will vary greatly with who's wrenching and what tools/skills they have available to them.

I ordered a pair of the OEM manifold kits for $178.28 shipped. Curious to see how long the backorder takes to fulfill.

Last edited:

397STROKER

Reaction score
Hi all,

Those manifolds are for a 6.4 jeep and they will bolt up to the 5.7 but they will not line up with you stock exhaust Y-pipe,

Reaction score
Thanks all. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize the ones I linked to were intended for a different setup.

Mine is leaking from the passenger (right?) side. As long as it's being done by the dealer and is free, I'm fine with whatever! Just wanted to see if there was a consensus solution that would solve the issue for good too.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
You have to get aftermarket headers for it to go away completely. Had mine go at 60K. dealer did them under warranty. now at 100k - still no issues. Also just had my brakes touched for the first time - 8 years and 100k miles...

Reaction score
Still looking into options as I'm starting to worry about how long the replacement manifolds are going to be backordered. Out of curiosity, how involved is it to go with long tube headers (like the StainlessWorks Long Tubes)? Would this solve the exhaust leak for good? And can it be done while keeping the truck at or near the stock sound/loudness? Keep in mind I'm not looking for a big performance gain or heavily modded setup - but if I can fix the exhaust leak problem and gain a little oomph I wouldn't mind either.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I got a shipment notification today so the backorder time for OEM manifolds isn't that long. I ordered Aug 31st, they are shipping around Sept 20th, so less than a month.
However, what we don't know is how many manifolds were in the latest batch and how many of those are already committed to fulfill back orders.
Hopefully they got enough to have them in stock going forward.

Last edited:

Philth

Reaction score
Have you looked into the AFE Twisted Steel shorties? I have not heard of those failing/cracking.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got a shipment notification today so the backorder time for OEM manifolds isn't that long. I ordered Aug 31st, they are shipping around Sept 20th, so less than a month.
However, what we don't know is how many manifolds were in the latest batch and how many of those are already committed to fulfill back orders.
Hopefully they got enough to have them in stock going forward.
I had my Durango at the dealer yesterday, for a recall. Since I have my new truck on a train right now, we talked trucks, and the regular problems. I was told dealers can not even order manifolds for stock. They can only be ordered with a repair order number, and the can only get 4 per month. I don't think it's actually a back order problem, as much as they can't order the part, until your number in line, comes up to be able to order. That's why they tell you 3 months, or 4 months, is because you are 12th or 14th on the list. Some people have gotten them quickly, because their dealer doesn't have 10 people on a waiting list.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I had my Durango at the dealer yesterday, for a recall. Since I have my new truck on a train right now, we talked trucks, and the regular problems. I was told dealers can not even order manifolds for stock. They can only be ordered with a repair order number, and the can only get 4 per month. I don't think it's actually a back order problem, as much as they can't order the part, until your number in line, comes up to be able to order. That's why they tell you 3 months, or 4 months, is because you are 12th or 14th on the list. Some people have gotten them quickly, because their dealer doesn't have 10 people on a waiting list.

How we ended up in this spot in 2023 is beyond me. We're 3 years post-COVID. Workforce is (for the most part) back to work. How there is a shortage or rudimentary metal exhaust manifolds is beyond me.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Not sure about manifolds but I know the EV market is eating up specialty metals needed to make things like breakers. I do large scale industrial electrical systems and switchgear deliveries are delayed out over a year and a half.

I tried to order a small 500KVA transformer the other day and was told 109 weeks to deliver. There is so much construction going on that demand is outpacing supply on so many levels. Whole subdivisions are sitting without power because the utilities just don’t have the transformers to connect them. Thankfully the bigger units are easier to come by but I expect that to change as they start getting consumed in place of the smaller ones.

Don’t even get me started on skilled labor.

I’ve been sitting at home the last year because all our projects are pushed out waiting on deliveries.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm contemplating JBA shorty headers, since the dealership is doing 1 side and would only need to pay for other. I don't want long tubes, because everything I see they need tuned.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Not sure about manifolds but I know the EV market is eating up specialty metals needed to make things like breakers. I do large scale industrial electrical systems and switchgear deliveries are delayed out over a year and a half.

I tried to order a small 500KVA transformer the other day and was told 109 weeks to deliver. There is so much construction going on that demand is outpacing supply on so many levels. Whole subdivisions are sitting without power because the utilities just don’t have the transformers to connect them. Thankfully the bigger units are easier to come by but I expect that to change as they start getting consumed in place of the smaller ones.

Don’t even get me started on skilled labor.

I’ve been sitting at home the last year because all our projects are pushed out waiting on deliveries.

I definitely sympathize with some of those things. However, these are like as basic as it comes. Granted, the original design and/or bolts they use suck. However, it's like basically the same principal design since the muscle car era of the 1960's and maybe even older.

But yes, there is a massive backlog on a bunch of things right now.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't seen any really reliable shorty headers, which sucks at $900+ a pop, outside of $600 BBK also breaking.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My drivers side manifold bolt(s) went at 56K miles. My passenger side went out at around 70K so not covered under warranty. Selling the truck so deciding if it is better to fix it before, or to sell as is with the caveat that it needs repair and the repair is around $600-700

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/