5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Leak-Muffler

nilidool

Reaction score
Interesting......I just got an exhaust leak sound on my 2019 Laramie last week. I'm going to check mine right now to see if this flange/hardware is the culprit. Sad to think this happens on newer trucks (mine only has 42k miles).

EdwinBarrientos

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen one. I'm betting that the only thing holding the two flanges together on your truck were self tapping bolts. Is that correct?

There should be two bolts and two nuts at the flange connection. I think a number of '19s left the factory without the nuts.

Anyway, should be a warranty repair.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038188 miles.
It isn’t under warranty. I just came back and they wanted $360 for parts and labour.

EdwinBarrientos

Reaction score
I don't have an actual picture (it's after 11 PM here), but the flange connection in question is the one that's between the front of the muffler and the exhaust pipe. The parts list shows a gasket, two bolts and two corresponding nuts holding the flange connection together.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038318 miles.
Can you send the parts list, I would love to see this. The dealer just told me it’s not covered under warranty for anyone. Normal wear and tear🤷🏻‍♂️ Please and thanks

BlackLarry

Reaction score
Got the same issue this week, was going to have dealer tighten this up for me or bolt swap while I’m in for an oil change, but $360 holy sheet! Looks more like a weekend project instead.
Thinking I’ll pick up oem bolts and add nuts for piece of mind and added security.
These manufacturers really stopped factoring in rust,snow,salt,wear n tear few yrs down the line. SMH.

brenan00

Reaction score
Got the same issue this week, was going to have dealer tighten this up for me or bolt swap while I’m in for an oil change, but $360 holy sheet! Looks more like a weekend project instead.
Thinking I’ll pick up oem bolts and add nuts for piece of mind and added security.
These manufacturers really stopped factoring in rust,snow,salt,wear n tear few yrs down the line. SMH.
There is not a tsb of some kind for missing nuts, that's nuts.

Bits4brains

Reaction score
I too had the leak and to fix it I had to drill out the studs as they were both broken when trying to back them out. Went down to Lowes and replaced with grade 8 bolts and nuts and hi temp anti seize. I still had a small leak once I got it back together which doesn't surprise me given the condition the gasket was in. ( rusted and had a small hole). I ordered a new gasket but like everything else they are on backorder so I used some high temp exhaust sealer when I did the final re-assembly. No leaks but I dont know how long that sealer will last.
Once I get my new gasket Ill be back under the truck and fix it once again. :confused:

cmack5000

Reaction score
Same issue. Dealership told me $1500. That they need to replace the entire exhaust. Glad I wasn't born last night.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Mine is in for the same issue today, 2019 Big Horn, New England climate so road salt. Loud sound at cold startup, vibrating noise, and get less as warms up but noticeable. You could hear an exhaust leak. Gasket and a snapped bolt. 35,000 miles so under warranty still. Dealer service pics during inspection.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 140

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is in for the same issue today, 2019 Big Horn, New England climate so road salt. Loud sound at cold startup, vibrating noise, and get less as warms up but noticeable. You could hear an exhaust leak. Gasket and a snapped bolt. 35,000 miles so under warranty still. Dealer service pics during inspection.
Hi ronmac7609,
If you need any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It bothers me that the SA's use cameras with such crappy resolution. I think it's by design so it's tougher to see issues we may have. At least in your case it's obvious enough to be easily seen even in those low res pics. I think I might just replace those bolts with stainless on my Limited before it sees its first winter.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't forget graphite lube on the threads when using stainless, it loves to gall depending on the hardness. It turns into a real nightmare without graphite

holi66

Reaction score
Just had the same issue...the two bolts on the flange between the muffler and converter rusted through and snapped. I wound up having to use a diamond-tipped cutting wheel to cut a thin slot through the outside of the flange and through the length of what was left of the bolt. Replaced with stainless bolts and locknuts. What a PITA...and on a 2019 (just out of warranty, of course). I hope that this isn't an indication of what to expect. I had my last Ram 1500 (2007) for twelve years and never had an issue with something like this. How much did they actually save by using inferior bolts??

Mavroni

Reaction score
Same issue here, 19 Ram, 45k, leaking from the gasket, no nuts. Bolts are rusted so I’m expecting to snap. Have to replace them. Never thought that 3 years old car would have exhaust problems. Just wondering if mopar extended warranty will cover this?

Lfgubrs

Reaction score
I just had this issue today. Both bolts rusted through and sheared. My exhaust is extremely loud now. 2019 Laramie with 36,160 miles on the odometer. I am not happy...

Called the dealer and they said it isn't covered under power train warranty. Have a week before I can get in to service. Couldn't get either side of the bolt out myself. This shouldn't be happening on 3 year old trucks with low mileage.

Last edited:

gwatt86

Reaction score
Add me to the list. I thought maybe I had an exhaust manifold crack or stud on the heat shield snap but turns out those are good. As you've all mentioned, this is NOT covered under power train nor does my extended warranty cover exhaust issues.

That all said, it sounds like its an easy fix after you get the rusted bolts out but that is my issue, no fancy tools to accomplish that. I'm curious if anyone has had a local shop fix this and what they charged? Dealer quoted me $420 so I'm guessing my local shop would charge $200-300. I'd rather save the money and fix myself.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Curious just to make sure this is the only spot I have a leak:

Wondering if I could take vice grips or c-clamp and try to tighten the gap to see if that reduces the noise. Anyone tried that or anyone think that would be a bad idea? I would not be leaving the vice grips/c-clamp on and driving, just to tighten and startup to listen.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cut bolts, drill out. And add new bolts with washers, lock and nuts. I would assume this is an easy fix. Unless the flanges are trash. But from others post on this. It’s just the bolts rusted out.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Yes at exactly 24 months old and about 20k miles my flange pipe came loose and I only noticed because the engine got super loud one day so I poked my head underneath and both flange bolts rusted and snapped apart. The remainder was seized in the thread and I needed pb blaster and blow torch as well as vice grips to free them. Before slapping on new ones. Also, they didn’t come with a nut so I opted to throw one on. Relatively simply fix, just need socket tools however impact wrenches do speed up the process. View attachment 85052 View attachment 85053 View attachment 85054
What size bolt and nut did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread