5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Leak-Muffler

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What size bolt and nut did you use?
Stock bolts are M10x1.5. Not exactly sure on the length. I bought replacement stainless steel bolts that were 45mm long but haven't installed them yet. Not sure why people think we need to add nuts to lock the bolts in place. The problem is the factory bolts are rusting through and failing, not that they are backing out. It won't hurt anything to add nuts, but I don't see that solving this issue.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Stock bolts are M10x1.5. Not exactly sure on the length. I bought replacement stainless steel bolts that were 45mm long but haven't installed them yet. Not sure why people think we need to add nuts to lock the bolts in place. The problem is the factory bolts are rusting through and failing, not that they are backing out. It won't hurt anything to add nuts, but I don't see that solving this issue.
Awesome, thanks. Fair enough on the nut, you're not wrong. I think I'll add some graphite lube as suggested with SS bolts.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Throwing in the towel, can't get the rusted bolts to budge and I don't want to do any damage. I'm going to take it to muffler shop in the morning and have them do it.

Flaco

Reaction score
No nuts here, 2019 July 2019 build. According to the above part number, it is a M10 x 1.5, going to pick up a few all metallic locking ones from Lowes or wherever and add them myself.
View attachment 66435
View attachment 66436
I'm having the same issue my 2019 Ram limited 48,000 miles not covered under drive train warranty, gotta pay $375 These bolts broke while driving down the highway

gwatt86

Reaction score
Took it to an exhaust shop this morning and showed them my issue. He said he's going to just put a piece of pipe in between and weld it together, otherwise may have the same issue later on. Told me it would be $75. Dropping it off Thursday morning.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took it to an exhaust shop this morning and showed them my issue. He said he's going to just put a piece of pipe in between and weld it together, otherwise may have the same issue later on. Told me it would be $75. Dropping it off Thursday morning.
Are the flanged trashed?
Why can’t they drill out the bolts/ threaded part. And put bolts, flats, lock and nut? I could fix that for ten bucks

gwatt86

Reaction score
Are the flanged trashed?
Why can’t they drill out the bolts/ threaded part. And put bolts, flats, lock and nut? I could fix that for ten bucks
The flange doesn't look great. Its got some rust on it as well. He said it would be quicker and easier to add a pipe in between rather than trying to get the rusted bolt out of the rusted threads in the flange.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Got it fixed, $75 total. I can't believe how loud my truck was with that leak. So much better now.
Reading through this thread I was wondering why nobody did this until I saw your post lol. Makes the most sense to me to do this. Now you never have to worry about it and you didn’t deal with the headache of getting those bolts/flange out! Smart

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the flange, it is located in front of the muffler about mid way of the rear door. I tried to tighten it but I can feel it trying to break so ill have to check to see if this falls under the bumper to bumper or the powertrain warranty since I am at 40k miles.
looks familiar, makes me
sick 2.7year old truck 21k
and this happens....
im gona puke sorry guys, mom and pop gas station service spot
down the road fixed for me one hour
labor ($121) inclded SS Bolts and Gasket, didint
even bother to try and get the dealer to fix it 25
miles away
it woulda been there
alld
day

Attachments

• A950423A-936A-4B0C-A64A-56A06FE9CE3B.jpeg
    A950423A-936A-4B0C-A64A-56A06FE9CE3B.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 143
  • D143EE81-807D-47BB-8932-BC706BE7F7CD.jpeg
    D143EE81-807D-47BB-8932-BC706BE7F7CD.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

homedad

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number or link for the gasket? I'd like to have all my parts before trying to fix it.
BTW my 2019 Laramie is at 31k miles.

cuda75

Reaction score
Count me in on this problem aswell. 2019 with 37K, noticed on cold starts abnormally loud ticking and noticed exhaust condensation coming from under the bed. Look underneath and found the bottom bolt broke. Going to remove and and replace both bolts. Think I'm going to drill it out and put bolts/nuts through the flange rather than keep the flange threaded. This way if they rust out again I won't have to deal with getting them out of the threads.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number or link for the gasket? I'd like to have all my parts before trying to fix it.
BTW my 2019 Laramie is at 31k miles.
This is the part number I have for the gasket. 68505222AA

Homer8207

Reaction score
Count me in with broken exhaust bolt on the bottom. Only 18k miles looks like the bolt is in terrible shape. Also the ground strap disintegrated. Unbelievable! What junk! Truck is 2 years old and starting to develop several problems dash bubbling backup camera doesn’t work in the winter time....
Count me in also, my local garage was able to heat the bolts and got them out without breaking. They put new locking nuts and bolts in, gasket was in good shape, running like new. I’m glad I saw this posting I was ready to trade the truck in cause it was running like crap.

gturtle34

Reaction score
Mine was hit as well. I saw the rusted bolt, I tried tightening it and it quickly snapped off. I made mistake of thinking it was covered under extended warranty. It was not. I was charge $200 for diagnostic that I didn't need. The new bolts and gasket was quoted around $100. The dealership ended up fixing it for $550 total today. Not very happy to pay that for 2 new bolts that should not rusted out.

Users who are viewing this thread