5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone had Ecm/Tcm tune

Kwade88

Reaction score
As heading says, anyone had their truck tuned? Curious as to what kind of hp/torque picked up is there. I had a friend that tunes , so dropping off in few weeks when I go on vacation. 5 day turnaround on unlocking ECM.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.6, 5.7, or diesel? There are a bunch of threads on this. Not a huge gain with just a tune unless you have supporting mods that warrant a tune. If stock, you can get pretty much the same results with a pulsar and don't risk voiding the warranty as much.

Kwade88

Reaction score
A pulsar doesn't even cut off the speed limiter, not a big fan.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
As heading says, anyone had their truck tuned? Curious as to what kind of hp/torque picked up is there. I had a friend that tunes , so dropping off in few weeks when I go on vacation. 5 day turnaround on unlocking ECM.
What does your friend say he’s going to change in your tune?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HP and torque gains to me aren't the most important aspect. Full response to my foot is worth it's weight in gold. How do you think they program eco, valet, etc in all the hot cars? Same way Ram does for warranty and emissions in the trucks. I'm old enough to remember a 300hp pumper carbed camaro was a 13 second big deal. Shouldn't a 400hp truck be a burnout king? With a 3.92 axle, shouldn't this thing pull hard? All the algorithms really kill throttle response and max power availability. I only feel max power pulling my camper, which is all the EPA will let me have. Don't look at the max increase numbers of a tune; look for the best drivability reviews for a tuner. That is what will put the smile on your face!

I've used Fastchip, Diablosport, and Overkill thru HPTuners. All were great. I would like to try hemifever or greene racing next.

quick.jpg

My phone screen saver. My last tune was this Impala, 300hp stock, was restricted under 35mph, ramped to full power 1.5 seconds after WOT, torque management, grandmas downshift rpms, etc. After tune with no restrictions on power, I couldn't feel the difference in the seat between 300 and 310hp, but it moves when I press the gas. I had test drove an Impala police car with the performance mode before, so I knew what was available under the hood, and wanted grandmas sleeper and insurance.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A pulsar doesn't even cut off the speed limiter, not a big fan.
You didn't say what your goals were and what does removing the speed limiter do when the tires can't safely support the speed?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You didn't say what your goals were and what does removing the speed limiter do when the tires can't safely support the speed?
That would be useful for supercharging and drag racing it at the track. Other than that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ordered 6/26. VIN 6/30. D1 10/9. BS 10/21. WS 10/23, Delivered 11/12
*****2022 Limited. 5.7 non-ET | Night Edition*****

Tires don't support the speed?
Did you even look at your tires? You have a Limited night edition so you have the same thing as me. We don't know what OP has for tires.

The speed limiter is set at 107MPH and your tries can "safely" go to 130 MPH. In fact they have A for traction and Temperature so they would be fine cursing at 120 for prolonged periods of time in theory.
1653346882277.jpeg
1653346873941.png

Diablospot finally is unlocking PCMs so I called today and put my order in. Was $230 + whatever it costs for me to ship my PCM to them Thursday.
I was told there is no waiting in line and they would unlock it and send it back same day they receive it so I expect to have it back Wednesday and then I can mess around with my old i3 tuner and see if anyone does tunes for the Diablospot tuners for these Hemis.

A tune is great but I have reasonable expectations.
Remove speed limiter, reduce throttle delay\lag
Disable v4 mode (it doesn't even give better mpg for my part of the country, not slamming on the gas says way more)
Disable start-stop (I don't really have lights where I sit for longer then 10-30 seconds so again it's not worth the stress on the motor for those very small gains).
Better reaction time to input.

Simply put a Pulsar is an inline unit and is very limited on what it can do, unlocking the PCM allows you to do a lot more, as far as actual gains I wouldn't know. Sometimes I have done 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, other times it's 6.7 and those numbers are coming from the truck itself.

I sometimes are at stoplights or turning from a stop and my truck will NOT MOVE for 3 WHOLE SECONDS with my foot on the gas. It's extremely unsafe when I lay on the gas I expect the truck to move, or at least engage the engine and start to roll.

I have only driven a vehicle this bad (for speed\responsiveness) once and it was my 97 Ford Expedition with a 4.6 v8 195k miles with massive transmission? problems, the engine would lose torque in second gear around 2500 RMPs and act like it went into neutral so going through a light from a stop my truck would stop in the middle unless I took my foot off the gas a little, else giving it gas just boosts RPM but tires don't turn. I ended up selling it because I couldn't trust my wife to drive it and not get T-boned due to no fault of her own.

We can get performance pages somewhat easy even if it's just for a day or so before it blows up and you can use that to Dyno the truck, no idea how accurate it could possibly be, but you can use your screen to time 0-60 and 0-100 if you wanted to see a before and after.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires don't support the speed?
Did you even look at your tires? You have a Limited night edition so you have the same thing as me. We don't know what OP has for tires.

The speed limiter is set at 107MPH and your tries can "safely" go to 130 MPH. In fact they have A for traction and Temperature so they would be fine cursing at 120 for prolonged periods of time in theory.
Didn't look at my tires and not running the OEM tires, and very true we do not know what the OP has
Diablospot finally is unlocking PCMs so I called today and put my order in. Was $230 + whatever it costs for me to ship my PCM to them Thursday.
I was told there is no waiting in line and they would unlock it and send it back same day they receive it so I expect to have it back Wednesday and then I can mess around with my old i3 tuner and see if anyone does tunes for the Diablospot tuners for these Hemis.
There are a few that can tune the Hemi. There isn't any trick because this is a 2022.
A tune is great but I have reasonable expectations.
Remove speed limiter, reduce throttle delay\lag
Disable v4 mode (it doesn't even give better mpg for my part of the country, not slamming on the gas says way more)
Disable start-stop (I don't really have lights where I sit for longer then 10-30 seconds so again it's not worth the stress on the motor for those very small gains).
Better reaction time to input.
I didn't get the E-Torque cause is the devil LOL. I hate it.
Simply put a Pulsar is an inline unit and is very limited on what it can do, unlocking the PCM allows you to do a lot more, as far as actual gains I wouldn't know. Sometimes I have done 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, other times it's 6.7 and those numbers are coming from the truck itself.

I sometimes are at stoplights or turning from a stop and my truck will NOT MOVE for 3 WHOLE SECONDS with my foot on the gas. It's extremely unsafe when I lay on the gas I expect the truck to move, or at least engage the engine and start to roll.

I have only driven a vehicle this bad (for speed\responsiveness) once and it was my 97 Ford Expedition with a 4.6 v8 195k miles with massive transmission? problems, the engine would lose torque in second gear around 2500 RMPs and act like it went into neutral so going through a light from a stop my truck would stop in the middle unless I took my foot off the gas a little, else giving it gas just boosts RPM but tires don't turn. I ended up selling it because I couldn't trust my wife to drive it and not get T-boned due to no fault of her own.

We can get performance pages somewhat easy even if it's just for a day or so before it blows up and you can use that to Dyno the truck, no idea how accurate it could possibly be, but you can use your screen to time 0-60 and 0-100 if you wanted to see a before and after.
I am well aware of what tuning can do and debating if I want to void my powertrain warranty or not before I get my PCM unlocked,

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned above, I don't think it's worth losing your warranty over what is likely not too much of a change on a NA engine, you maybe better off getting something like a pedal commander which is easily removable and won't hurt your warranty, assuming you remove it between dealership visits.

The possible small gain in hp and torque on a 5,000 lbs truck is likely only going to be noticed by your imagination anyways. And the trade-off is removing a 5 yr/60k warranty that you may need for something like a roller cam or exhaust manifold issue later on.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, I don't think it's worth losing your warranty over what is likely not too much of a change on a NA engine, you maybe better off getting something like a pedal commander which is easily removable and won't hurt your warranty, assuming you remove it between dealership visits.

The possible small gain in hp and torque on a 5,000 lbs truck is likely only going to be noticed by your imagination anyways. And the trade-off is removing a 5 yr/60k warranty that you may need for something like a roller cam or exhaust manifold issue later on.
5000 lbs truck? Who's weights that?
Mine's 7,800 without me being inside it.

Your warranty is not null and void. If you have a problem return to stock and they need to prove you did something to void the warranty.
Now obviously if getting a tune on the truck does something and damages the engine then yeah you're not going to get Ram to pay to repair problems you caused.

I put a Borla exhaust on my truck, if the exhaust fails or damages a clip or something I wouldn't expect Ram to cover the repair. Now if an exhaust manifold cracks then they would be expected to repair it as putting a Borla exhaust on wouldn't cause the damage.

I don't understand why people on this forum in particular are so worried about losing factory warranty, I have had repairs done on other cars\trucks even heavily modded vehicles just don't expect the warranty to cover something you broke.

The only person who knows if you want the tune is YOU and no one else. If you are worried about "voiding your warranty" then you shouldn't of even been thinking about getting an unlocked PCM or putting a tune on your truck imo.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your warranty is not null and void. If you have a problem return to stock and they need to prove you did something to void the warranty.
Now obviously if getting a tune on the truck does something and damages the engine then yeah you're not going to get Ram to pay to repair problems you caused.

I put a Borla exhaust on my truck, if the exhaust fails or damages a clip or something I wouldn't expect Ram to cover the repair. Now if an exhaust manifold cracks then they would be expected to repair it as putting a Borla exhaust on wouldn't cause the damage.

I don't understand why people on this forum in particular are so worried about losing factory warranty, I have had repairs done on other cars\trucks even heavily modded vehicles just don't expect the warranty to cover something you broke.

The only person who knows if you want the tune is YOU and no one else. If you are worried about "voiding your warranty" then you shouldn't of even been thinking about getting an unlocked PCM or putting a tune on your truck imo.

Just went conservative with the weight, it's even heavier than I thought, you really won't notice it.

It absolutely will void your POWERTRAIN warranty if you "jail break" an ECU, as the OP described. If you bring it in for a transmission problem and they run the OBD and flag your ECU, there is no dealer who will warranty your powertrain. They don't have to prove a thing. Yes, you can claim the Magnuson Act, but in reality you have to prove it since they aren't going to lift a finger to work on your truck regardless. Not like you can force them to do anything if they have any leverage on you and just say no which is what dealers prefer to do in these cases.

Of course you don't expect warranty work on heavily modded vehicles, but to change a tune for a few hp by your buddy that does tuning seems like a low value trade-off for a powertrain warranty you may need one day, especially for a truck only a few years old. Again, we are talking about the ECU and how it pertains to the power train warranty. A muffler or exhaust isn't going to void your powertrain warranty.

The OP is asking for advice, some of us are giving it to him, it's up to him to decide if it's worth it to him of course. But he is clearly weighing the benefits to possible costs and asking for opinions.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

7,800 lbs???? Tell me you’ve never weighed your truck without telling me you’ve never weighed your truck…

Systems vary by manufacturer relating to what parameters are monitored, at what detail, and for how long are logged. But they all record a few things like how many, and last, time ecm/pcm/Tcm were flashed, trips since codes cleared, non oem flash etc.

So anyone telling you dealers or manufacturers can’t detect a tune are either misinformed, or in the business of selling tunes.

When you tune you are simply rolling the dice on whether your dealer is cool or not. Some don’t care at all and want the work, and others are looking for any excuse to get out of work. Do a lot of times when folks say their dealer didn’t detect a tune, what they really mean is the dealer either didn’t care or didn’t go looking.

Now if your case goes to the manufacturer, it’s out of the dealers hands, and corporate will definitely be looking under every rock.

I’ve been running tuned vehicles for more than a decade. My recommended approach to new vehicle tuning is just go in assuming your warranty is toast for any engine or drivetrain related catastrophes. In the event you do get covered, it’s a sweet bonus!

And really vet your tuner well, as good ones will not unduly threaten your vehicle’s health at all! The issue is if you had a particular defect that would have manifested regardless of tune.

I would not consider a mass market canned device tune low risk or worth the risk. But rather a custom tune through a tuner that has been specializing on your platform for years with good feedback, and then working with them on data logs and a few revisions.

Kwade88

Reaction score
Lots of opinions I see, sorry I'm just getting back to the thread. I ll have it tuned next week and post some results. Here's the menu....

Remove speed limiter
Disable MDS
Spark tables
Fuel tables
Trans as well( shifting)

Btw, truck is a 2020 rebel, non etorque, on stock wheels and tires. My tuner is extremely capable, I was just curious if anyone else has done a truck similar. I ll let you guys know my opinion on results and I really appreciate the feedback...Good or bad. 💪

Kwade88

Reaction score
And after it is done, it was well worth the time and effort. Power is alot better, shifting as well. Holds all the gears close to 6k on a stomp. Gas mileage went from 15 to 17 pretty quickly., as long as you keep your foot out of it. Still has the factory feel until you call on the motor, which is nice. I m running 89 instead of 87 ( I know that they say 89 is better) but I ll try 93 on this tune when this tank runs out. Only about 24 hrs into it but I m very happy with it. Hp tuners kept the ecm aliltle longer than expected btw.... but did a 100% job !

CalgaryJohn87

Reaction score
What does this actually do? What mods need to be done for this to be worth your time? Can this be done to a stock truck and see any benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread